    where, say, the right edge of a document is? How do you determine a tab? How
    do you justfiy left/righ/center for text?

    Thanks in advance for your input, Ike

    Ike, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Ike

    brucie Guest

    In post <Oc4hb.9449$>
    Ike said...

    > I am writing a platform independent (i.e. java) word processor application.

    sun java on XP is a huge slow piece of crap. the poor little CPU poos
    itself. its not practical.

    and MSVM is kaput in a big way
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/news/jre.asp

    i recommend you use a different language.

    --
    brucie.
    09/October/2003 03:06:41 pm

    brucie, Oct 9, 2003

  3. In article <Oc4hb.9449$>,
    says...
    > I am writing a platform independent (i.e. java) word processor application.
    > I have decided that in keeping this truly platform-independent, I should use
    > html as the format for my documents.

    Wouldn't XML be a better bet?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 9, 2003
  4. "Ike" <> wrote:

    > I am writing a platform independent (i.e. java) word processor
    > application. I have decided that in keeping this truly
    > platform-independent, I should use html as the format for my
    > documents.

    That's fine if your processor can produce valid and meaningful HTML
    _and_ CSS that corresponds to the desired visual formatting in at least
    some ways, _if_ the visual formatting has any importance. Provided,
    of course, that the implementation technology is suitable for the
    purpose.

    > However, I am wondering how to handle margins in html?

    You don't, of course.

    Sorry to say, but your question reflects fundamental misunderstanding
    of the nature of HTML, in a manner that is most essential in your
    project. So it does not help to settle down just this issue.

    But ignorance is curable. I suggest that you start studying the basics
    of both HTML and CSS, using some good resources; see some suggestions
    of mine at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/HTML3.2/2.1.html and
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/styles/howto.html

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/