html as word-processor format

Ike

I am writing a platform independent (i.e. java) word processor application.
I have decided that in keeping this truly platform-independent, I should use
html as the format for my documents.

However, I am wondering how to handle margins in html? How is it determined
where, say, the right edge of a document is? How do you determine a tab? How
do you justfiy left/righ/center for text?

Thanks in advance for your input, Ike

Hywel Jenkins

I am writing a platform independent (i.e. java) word processor application.
I have decided that in keeping this truly platform-independent, I should use
html as the format for my documents.

Wouldn't XML be a better bet?

Jukka K. Korpela

Ike said:
I am writing a platform independent (i.e. java) word processor
application. I have decided that in keeping this truly
platform-independent, I should use html as the format for my
documents.

That's fine if your processor can produce valid and meaningful HTML
_and_ CSS that corresponds to the desired visual formatting in at least
some ways, _if_ the visual formatting has any importance. Provided,
of course, that the implementation technology is suitable for the
purpose.
However, I am wondering how to handle margins in html?

You don't, of course.

Sorry to say, but your question reflects fundamental misunderstanding
of the nature of HTML, in a manner that is most essential in your
project. So it does not help to settle down just this issue.

But ignorance is curable. I suggest that you start studying the basics
of both HTML and CSS, using some good resources; see some suggestions
of mine at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/HTML3.2/2.1.html and
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/styles/howto.html