html as xml document on IE

Richard Cornford

RoLo said:
Is there anyway to use the html document on IE as
an XML document?

Only a subset of HTML documents could pass XML's well-formed-ness rules
(they could not include any elements with EMPTY content declarations, so
no img, input, link or mata elements for a start, HTML's optional tags
could not be omitted (except where both opening and closing tags can be
omitted) and all attribute values would have to be quoted regardless of
whether quoting them would have been unnecessary in HTML). I don't see
what being "on IE" would have to do with anything, except that once a
document is being rendered by IE using its - inner/outerHTML -
properties as a source for the text that would be treated as XML would
be a non-starter as there attributes that do not need to be quoted are
almost never quoted.

Richard.

RoLo

Only a subset of HTML documents could pass XML's well-formed-ness rules
(they could not include any elements with EMPTY content declarations, so
no img, input, link or mata elements for a start, HTML's optional tags
could not be omitted (except where both opening and closing tags can be
omitted) and all attribute values would have to be quoted regardless of
whether quoting them would have been unnecessary in HTML). I don't see
what being "on IE" would have to do with anything, except that once a
document is being rendered by IE using its - inner/outerHTML -
properties as a source for the text that would be treated as XML would
be a non-starter as there attributes that do not need to be quoted are
almost never quoted.

Richard.

ok, I understand your point, I should have been more specific...

After the HTML is loaded... Is there anyway I could use the document
as an XML document. In firefox, opera and safari the html document
inherits
their XML document methods. In IE it doesn't, at least I haven't found
any
direct way to this, so thats why Im asking.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

RoLo said:
After the HTML is loaded... Is there anyway I could use the document
as an XML document. In firefox, opera and safari the html document
inherits their XML document methods.

No, it does not. It would seem that you either mistake the methods of DOM
Level 2+ Core as being XML-DOM-specific, or you have not understood the
difference between HTML and XHTML.
In IE it doesn't, at least I haven't found any direct way to this,
so thats why Im asking.

IE does not implement W3C DOM Level 2 for the most part.

You should ask *exactly* what you would like to know instead, and be
prepared to answer the "Why?" question.

PointedEars

The Magpie

RoLo said:
ok, I understand your point, I should have been more specific...
Actually, I think you miss the point if you don't mind me saying. The
point is that HTML is just not a valid XML format file. I think you
have misunderstood the difference between HTML (not valid XML) and
XHTML (which is more or less valid XML). Loaded or not does not make a
difference to its validity.

RoLo

Actually, I think you miss the point if you don't mind me saying. The
point is that HTML is just not a valid XML format file. I think you
have misunderstood the difference between HTML (not valid XML) and
XHTML (which is more or less valid XML). Loaded or not does not make a
difference to its validity.

whats so hard to understand about my question?
"Is there anyway to use the html document on IE as an XML document?"

"After the HTML is loaded... Is there anyway I could use the document
as an XML document."

can't you read "Is there ANYWAY" in both replies?

"Loaded or not does not make a difference to its validity."
I pointed out after load, because I can't use the DOM if the HTML
source
is not loaded in the browser. After all, this is a Javascript mailing
list not an XML one!

I know that copying the html document elements to a new xml document
is possible
but I was hoping there was a better way to do it for IE. After all
FF,Opera and Safari
kind of merges XML and HTML in their document DOM.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:document

In conclusion, the only way possible (at least the simplest way) on IE
is by copying
the HTML document into an XML document.

Evertjan.

RoLo wrote on 19 apr 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
whats so hard to understand about my question?
"Is there anyway to use the html document on IE as an XML document?"

"After the HTML is loaded... Is there anyway I could use the document
as an XML document."

can't you read "Is there ANYWAY" in both replies?

That doesn't mean a thing.
Did you perhaps mean "any way"?

RoLo

RoLo wrote on 19 apr 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

That doesn't mean a thing.
Did you perhaps mean "any way"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anyway

Yes I meant "any way", since my native language is not english
Im not sure if I used "anyway" correctly, but im sure
anyway means "any way". Even so, I been not native
english speaker, could have deduce the correct "any way"
meaning. Im more of a programmer type of guy then a
orthography freak.. even more if im not a native to the language...

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

RoLo said:
whats so hard to understand about my question?
"Is there anyway to use the html document on IE as an XML document?"

That of itself it does not make any sense?
"After the HTML is loaded... Is there anyway I could use the document
as an XML document."

can't you read "Is there ANYWAY" in both replies?

That does not matter at all. You cannot use an HTML document as an XML
document, period.
"Loaded or not does not make a difference to its validity."
I pointed out after load, because I can't use the DOM if the HTML
source is not loaded in the browser. After all, this is a Javascript
mailing list not an XML one!

To begin with, this is not even a mailing list. It is a Usenet newsgroup.
I know that copying the html document elements to a new xml document
is possible

It is not. There appears to be at least one major misconception on your part.

That said, it would help to clarify this if you posted *some* code that you
*think* it does what you think, at least. As the URL you have provided is
not helpful for understanding what you may mean.

PointedEars

VK

whats so hard to understand about my question?
"Is there anyway to use the html document on IE as an XML document?"

"After the HTML is loaded... Is there anyway I could use the document
as an XML document."

I don't care of "way, anyway" and I am not native English speaker
neither. But what do you mean by "use HTML as XML"?
1) Do you need some specific DOM Element property/methods provided by
default on some browser(s) but missing in IE DOM model?
2) Are you augmenting all DOM elements with your custom property/
methods and asking how to do it in IE?
3) Do you need to retrieve HTML document DOM tree and to create a well-
formed XML fragment out of it?
4) ?
5) ?

Really, the tasks are so different that we need a clarification. You
should not expect people giving 2-3-many solutions at once in hope
that at least one will be corresponding to what are you asking about.

Evertjan.

RoLo wrote on 19 apr 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

[please do not quote signatures on usenet]]
Yes I meant "any way", since my native language is not english
Im not sure if I used "anyway" correctly, but im sure
anyway means "any way".

It does not. Hoewver you were stressing that others were not following you.
Even so, I been not native
english speaker, could have deduce the correct "any way"
meaning. Im more of a programmer type of guy then a
orthography freak.. even more if im not a native to the language...

Programming begins at correct syntax. The syntax of HTML and XML for
instance, are incompatible, the two words just do not mean the same thing,
like "anyway" and "any way" in your sentence(!!), the last meaning "any
method" the first meaning more something like [but not exactly] "in spite
of".

RoLo

ok, sorry I suck at social skills...
seems im the one with problems communicating,
let me try again,

When Im saying HTML document im thinking in something
like:
A=window.document <-- HTML document

the XML document would be:
B=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument") <-- an XML document in IE

my question was,
Is there any way I could use A with methods from B in IE?

Why I ask this?
In Firefox, Safari and Opera for example I can use elements from A
with,
for example: alert((new
XMLSerializer()).serializeToString(window.document.body));

Not that this is what I wanted to do, this is just an example of what
im talking
about, in IE I can't use A elements with XML functions,
methods...etc..

So... I was asking, just in case there was some sort of way to do this
(use A elements with XML DOM).

Im not saying that A==B.

@PointedEars,
when I said copy the elements I meant:
// src childNodes
// dest destination document
var copyNodes=function(src,dest)
{
var l=function(a,c)
{
for(var i=0;i<c.length;i++)
{
if(c.nodeType==1)
a.appendChild(k(c));
else if(c.nodeType==3)
a.appendChild(dest.createTextNode(c));
}
},
k=function(a)
{
var e=dest.createElement(a.nodeName),attr,i;

// copy attributes
attr=a.attributes;
for(i=0;i<attr.length;i++)
e.setAttribute(attr.name,attr.value);

// copy childs
l(e,a.childNodes);
return e;
};

l(dest,src);
};

@Evertjan, at least im not the only one:
http://www.google.com/search?q="is+there+anyway"

The Magpie

RoLo said:
RoLo wrote:

[snip] The point is that HTML is... not a valid XML format file.
[snip]

whats so hard to understand about my question?
"Is there anyway to use the html document on IE as an XML document?"
There is nothing hard in the question. What is so hard about the
answer "because it is *NOT* an XML file"?

RoLo

RoLo said:
RoLo wrote:
[snip] The point is that HTML is... not a valid XML format file.
[snip]
whats so hard to understand about my question?
"Is there anyway to use the html document on IE as an XML document?"

There is nothing hard in the question. What is so hard about the
answer "because it is *NOT* an XML file"?

ok, why would I ask such a question in a Javascript newgroup?
I didn't expect an XML != answer I was expecting some tips on
how I could use HTML as an XML!!! And by use I mean with XML DOM!
Hal posted a good tip (converting the source).. but I was
expecting a Javascript tip.

I do have a Javascript way of doing this (converting the DOM),
as I have replied before, by "copying" the HTML document into
a new XML document. (by document I mean the Javascript object
created by the browsers, not the source)

I don't know how I can be more specific... sorry if im not
explaining my self so well.