HTML C++ Classes and GUI Designer?

Randy Yates

Is there any open-source software available that provides a GUI
application to design HTML pages and a C++ API library for
interpreting the resulting files and generating HTML? Something
similar to Microsoft Access's form design but in C++ and for HTML?

mbstevens

Randy said:
Is there any open-source software available that provides a GUI
application to design HTML pages

You mean a WYWIWIG? ("What you see is what you get.")
Quanta, Screem, Bluefish, Nvu & Composer, OOo Webwriter.
and a C++ API library for
interpreting the resulting files and generating HTML?

These all make (X)HTML pages -- that's their purpose.
Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?
I'd strongly recommend Perl or PHP over C++ for that.

Randy Yates

mbstevens said:
Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?
Yes.

I'd strongly recommend Perl or PHP over C++ for that.

Thank you for your opinion. In order to avoid wasting usenet
bandwidth, future posters need not make this recommendation
since it has been considered and rejected.

mbstevens

Randy said:
Thank you for your opinion. In order to avoid wasting usenet
bandwidth, future posters need not make this recommendation
since it has been considered and rejected.

A--and the considerations were what?

paul

mbstevens said:
Randy Yates wrote:

A--and the considerations were what?

It is an odd choice. Maybe a little more explanation of what the
intended application is. There are advanced WYSIWIG interfaces that also
include a little bit of ASP code (sorta like MS's version of PHP) &
assist linking to a database & inserting javascript thingies like
mouseover & such. It's usually more useful to set up a PHP, ASP or perl
template system to populate preformatted templates to add content if
that's your goal rather than designing diverse sites from scratch.

C++ means CGI scripts? If so I seriously doubt there is any such software.

mbstevens

paul said:
It is an odd choice. Maybe a little more explanation of what the
intended application is. There are advanced WYSIWIG interfaces that also
include a little bit of ASP code (sorta like MS's version of PHP) &
assist linking to a database & inserting javascript thingies like
mouseover & such. It's usually more useful to set up a PHP, ASP or perl
template system to populate preformatted templates to add content if
that's your goal rather than designing diverse sites from scratch.

C++ means CGI scripts? If so I seriously doubt there is any such software.

Actually, there are CGI libraries for C and C++. 10 years ago, the
justification to use C++ would have been performance considerations. These
days, with the hardware we all run, it would have to be *extreme*
performance considerations. The interface is the bandwidth block,
though. I think I'd just interact with both the C++ program and CGI with
Perl as the glue. It'd be a lot simpler, and a hell of a lot easier to
modify.

SpaceGirl

paul said:
It is an odd choice. Maybe a little more explanation of what the
intended application is. There are advanced WYSIWIG interfaces that also
include a little bit of ASP code (sorta like MS's version of PHP) &
assist linking to a database & inserting javascript thingies like
mouseover & such. It's usually more useful to set up a PHP, ASP or perl
template system to populate preformatted templates to add content if
that's your goal rather than designing diverse sites from scratch.

C++ means CGI scripts? If so I seriously doubt there is any such software.

ASP is a little more sophisticated that that, seeing as you can actually
WRITE asp code IN c++ if you want.

ASP.NET is a container for a number of languages; mainly C#.net, VB.net,
asp3 etc etc etc...

If the OP really wants a c-like language for server side processing,
C#.net is probably the best. You can write stand alone applicaitons
(.exe file) or inline scripts with it just like PHP or ASP3.

Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is the application to write it in.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

mbstevens

SpaceGirl said:
If the OP really wants a c-like language for server side processing,
C#.net is probably the best. You can write stand alone applicaitons
(.exe file) or inline scripts with it just like PHP or ASP3.

Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is the application to write it in.

....or Mono or DotGnu, which are open source under Gnu license.
(Sysop is posting from Gnus/Xemacs user agent.)

Randy Yates

SpaceGirl said:
If the OP really wants a c-like language for server side processing,
C#.net is probably the best.

You can write stand alone applicaitons
(.exe file) or inline scripts with it just like PHP or ASP3.

Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is the application to write it in.

What I want are pointers to C++ classes and an associated HTML GUI
RAD environment. The query was clear enough and none of what you
provided addresses the question.

I will cut off my arm before I base any of my future development on
MS.
--
% Randy Yates % "With time with what you've learned,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % they'll kiss the ground you walk

Joel Shepherd

What I want are pointers to C++ classes and an associated HTML GUI
RAD environment. The query was clear enough and none of what you
provided addresses the question.

It's Usenet: there's no expectation that'll you get an answer (as
opposed to a discussion) let alone an answer you like. Roll with it.

Unless things have changed recently, I believe your options are libwww
(which is more client-oriented - <http://www.w3.org/Library/> ), and
GNU's cgicc (<http://www.gnu.org/software/cgicc/cgicc.html>). I haven't
worked with either (ah the blissful life of the backend developer), but
I have heard screams and moans coming from people trying to get a handle
on libwww.
I will cut off my arm before I base any of my future development on
MS.

Well, okay then. I feel the same way about CORBA some days.

mbstevens

Randy said:
What I want are pointers to C++ classes and an associated HTML GUI
RAD environment. The query was clear enough

Not really clear enough at all. I asked:
"Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?"
....and you answered "Yes." You didn't answer 'yes' when asked if you wanted
a WYSIWIG in the same message.

All that doesn't sound at all like a Rapid Application Development
environment to me. It sounds like a CGI program. After a couple of days,
I really still don't know what it is you want to do. Perhaps it wouldn't
be a waste of 'usenet bandwidth', as you put it, to actually devote enough
space to clarify things for us. What wastes our time are questions that we
can't decipher.

And while you're at it, do you mean by "pointers to C++ classes" a program
that provides actual pointers, in the sense of a C address? Or just links
(more metaphorical pointers) to C++ classes that might help you out? You
may think you're being very clear, but I keep seeing ambiguity.

Joel Shepherd

mbstevens said:
And while you're at it, do you mean by "pointers to C++ classes" a program
that provides actual pointers, in the sense of a C address?

Lord, I hope not. Give me a pointer to a class and I'll give you a
reference to a pure virtual.
You may think you're being very clear, but I keep seeing ambiguity.

How did we get on multiple inheritance?

mbstevens

Joel said:
Lord, I hope not. Give me a pointer to a class and I'll give you a
reference to a pure virtual.
::))

How did we get on multiple inheritance?
Now you're mix-in me up.

Travis Newbury

mbstevens said:
By the same thought process, would going to open source add an arm?

No the same thought process would dictate that blindly eliminating a
possible solution is a bad idea, as is cutting one's arm off.

mbstevens

Joel said:
Take your encapsulation and you'll feel better in the morning.

Doh! :)

I suppose my behaviors have been idiomatic. I'll just collect my garbage
and leave.

Joel Shepherd

mbstevens said:
I suppose my behaviors have been idiomatic.

I can't raise an exception at that statement.
I'll just collect my garbage and leave.

Yes, you're causing a heap of trouble. Though do feel free to come back
once you've collected yourself.