    Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
    Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
    , 919-472-1124
    Randy Yates, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    Randy Yates wrote:

    > Is there any open-source software available that provides a GUI
    > application to design HTML pages

    You mean a WYWIWIG? ("What you see is what you get.")
    Quanta, Screem, Bluefish, Nvu & Composer, OOo Webwriter.

    > and a C++ API library for
    > interpreting the resulting files and generating HTML?

    These all make (X)HTML pages -- that's their purpose.
    Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?
    I'd strongly recommend Perl or PHP over C++ for that.

    --
    mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com
    Your source for Interrocitor parts.
    mbstevens, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Randy Yates

    Randy Yates Guest

    mbstevens <> writes:

    > Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?

    Yes.

    > I'd strongly recommend Perl or PHP over C++ for that.

    Thank you for your opinion. In order to avoid wasting usenet
    bandwidth, future posters need not make this recommendation
    since it has been considered and rejected.
    --
    Randy Yates
    Randy Yates, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    Randy Yates wrote:

    > mbstevens <> writes:
    >
    >> Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> I'd strongly recommend Perl or PHP over C++ for that.

    > Thank you for your opinion. In order to avoid wasting usenet
    > bandwidth, future posters need not make this recommendation
    > since it has been considered and rejected.

    Awesome formality, Mr. Yates.
    If you want to save bandwidth speak directly instead of indirectly, as in
    "No I want C++."
    But, OK, as long as you insist:
    http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/C_and_C /
    mbstevens, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    Randy Yates wrote:

    > mbstevens <> writes:
    >
    >> Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> I'd strongly recommend Perl or PHP over C++ for that.

    > Thank you for your opinion. In order to avoid wasting usenet
    > bandwidth, future posters need not make this recommendation
    > since it has been considered and rejected.

    A--and the considerations were what?
    mbstevens, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Randy Yates

    paul Guest

    mbstevens wrote:

    > Randy Yates wrote:
    >

    >>mbstevens <> writes:
    >>

    >>>Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?

    >>Yes.
    >>

    >>>I'd strongly recommend Perl or PHP over C++ for that.

    >>Thank you for your opinion. In order to avoid wasting usenet
    >>bandwidth, future posters need not make this recommendation
    >>since it has been considered and rejected.

    > A--and the considerations were what?

    It is an odd choice. Maybe a little more explanation of what the
    intended application is. There are advanced WYSIWIG interfaces that also
    include a little bit of ASP code (sorta like MS's version of PHP) &
    assist linking to a database & inserting javascript thingies like
    mouseover & such. It's usually more useful to set up a PHP, ASP or perl
    template system to populate preformatted templates to add content if
    that's your goal rather than designing diverse sites from scratch.

    C++ means CGI scripts? If so I seriously doubt there is any such software.
    paul, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    paul wrote:

    > mbstevens wrote:
    >
    >> Randy Yates wrote:

    >>>Yes.

    >>>Thank you for your opinion. In order to avoid wasting usenet
    >>>bandwidth, future posters need not make this recommendation
    >>>since it has been considered and rejected.

    >> A--and the considerations were what?

    > It is an odd choice. Maybe a little more explanation of what the
    > intended application is. There are advanced WYSIWIG interfaces that also
    > include a little bit of ASP code (sorta like MS's version of PHP) &
    > assist linking to a database & inserting javascript thingies like
    > mouseover & such. It's usually more useful to set up a PHP, ASP or perl
    > template system to populate preformatted templates to add content if
    > that's your goal rather than designing diverse sites from scratch.
    >
    > C++ means CGI scripts? If so I seriously doubt there is any such software.

    Actually, there are CGI libraries for C and C++. 10 years ago, the
    justification to use C++ would have been performance considerations. These
    days, with the hardware we all run, it would have to be *extreme*
    performance considerations. The interface is the bandwidth block,
    though. I think I'd just interact with both the C++ program and CGI with
    Perl as the glue. It'd be a lot simpler, and a hell of a lot easier to
    modify.

    mbstevens, Dec 30, 2004
  8. Randy Yates

    SpaceGirl Guest

    paul wrote:

    > It is an odd choice. Maybe a little more explanation of what the
    > intended application is. There are advanced WYSIWIG interfaces that also
    > include a little bit of ASP code (sorta like MS's version of PHP) &
    > assist linking to a database & inserting javascript thingies like
    > mouseover & such. It's usually more useful to set up a PHP, ASP or perl
    > template system to populate preformatted templates to add content if
    > that's your goal rather than designing diverse sites from scratch.
    >
    > C++ means CGI scripts? If so I seriously doubt there is any such software.

    ASP is a little more sophisticated that that, seeing as you can actually
    WRITE asp code IN c++ if you want.

    ASP.NET is a container for a number of languages; mainly C#.net, VB.net,
    asp3 etc etc etc...

    If the OP really wants a c-like language for server side processing,
    C#.net is probably the best. You can write stand alone applicaitons
    (.exe file) or inline scripts with it just like PHP or ASP3.

    Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is the application to write it in.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > If the OP really wants a c-like language for server side processing,
    > C#.net is probably the best. You can write stand alone applicaitons
    > (.exe file) or inline scripts with it just like PHP or ASP3.
    >
    > Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is the application to write it in.

    ....or Mono or DotGnu, which are open source under Gnu license.
    (Sysop is posting from Gnus/Xemacs user agent.)

    --
    mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com
    Use only *genuine* Interrocitor parts.
    mbstevens, Dec 31, 2004
  10. Randy Yates

    Randy Yates Guest

    SpaceGirl <> writes:

    > If the OP really wants a c-like language for server side processing,
    > C#.net is probably the best.
    >
    > You can write stand alone applicaitons
    > (.exe file) or inline scripts with it just like PHP or ASP3.
    >
    > Microsoft Visual Studio.NET is the application to write it in.

    What I want are pointers to C++ classes and an associated HTML GUI
    RAD environment. The query was clear enough and none of what you
    provided addresses the question.

    I will cut off my arm before I base any of my future development on
    MS.
    --
    % Randy Yates % "With time with what you've learned,
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % they'll kiss the ground you walk
    Randy Yates, Jan 2, 2005
  11. In article <>, Randy Yates <> wrote:

    > SpaceGirl <> writes:
    >
    > > If the OP really wants a c-like language for server side processing,
    > > C#.net is probably the best.

    > What I want are pointers to C++ classes and an associated HTML GUI
    > RAD environment. The query was clear enough and none of what you
    > provided addresses the question.

    It's Usenet: there's no expectation that'll you get an answer (as
    opposed to a discussion) let alone an answer you like. Roll with it.

    Unless things have changed recently, I believe your options are libwww
    (which is more client-oriented - <http://www.w3.org/Library/> ), and
    GNU's cgicc (<http://www.gnu.org/software/cgicc/cgicc.html>). I haven't
    worked with either (ah the blissful life of the backend developer), but
    I have heard screams and moans coming from people trying to get a handle
    on libwww.

    > I will cut off my arm before I base any of my future development on
    > MS.

    Well, okay then. I feel the same way about CORBA some days.

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Jan 2, 2005
  12. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    Randy Yates wrote:

    > What I want are pointers to C++ classes and an associated HTML GUI
    > RAD environment. The query was clear enough

    Not really clear enough at all. I asked:
    "Do you mean to generate pages from server side on the fly?"
    ....and you answered "Yes." You didn't answer 'yes' when asked if you wanted
    a WYSIWIG in the same message.

    All that doesn't sound at all like a Rapid Application Development
    environment to me. It sounds like a CGI program. After a couple of days,
    I really still don't know what it is you want to do. Perhaps it wouldn't
    be a waste of 'usenet bandwidth', as you put it, to actually devote enough
    space to clarify things for us. What wastes our time are questions that we
    can't decipher.

    And while you're at it, do you mean by "pointers to C++ classes" a program
    that provides actual pointers, in the sense of a C address? Or just links
    (more metaphorical pointers) to C++ classes that might help you out? You
    may think you're being very clear, but I keep seeing ambiguity.

    mbstevens, Jan 2, 2005
  13. mbstevens <> wrote:

    > And while you're at it, do you mean by "pointers to C++ classes" a program
    > that provides actual pointers, in the sense of a C address?

    Lord, I hope not. Give me a pointer to a class and I'll give you a
    reference to a pure virtual.

    > You may think you're being very clear, but I keep seeing ambiguity.

    How did we get on multiple inheritance?

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Jan 2, 2005
  14. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > mbstevens <> wrote:
    >
    >> And while you're at it, do you mean by "pointers to C++ classes" a
    >> program that provides actual pointers, in the sense of a C address?

    > Lord, I hope not. Give me a pointer to a class and I'll give you a
    > reference to a pure virtual.

    ::))
    >> You may think you're being very clear, but I keep seeing ambiguity.

    > How did we get on multiple inheritance?

    Now you're mix-in me up.
    mbstevens, Jan 2, 2005
  15. Randy Yates wrote:

    > I will cut off my arm before I base any of my future development on
    > MS.

    I would google "self amputation"

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jan 2, 2005
  16. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Randy Yates wrote:
    >
    >> I will cut off my arm before I base any of my future development on
    >> MS.

    > I would google "self amputation"

    By the same thought process, would going to open source add an arm?

    http://samablog.robsama.com/index.php?p=1847
    mbstevens, Jan 2, 2005
  17. mbstevens wrote:
    >>>I will cut off my arm before I base any of my future development on
    >>>MS.

    >>I would google "self amputation"

    > By the same thought process, would going to open source add an arm?

    No the same thought process would dictate that blindly eliminating a
    possible solution is a bad idea, as is cutting one's arm off.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jan 2, 2005
  18. In article <yJMBd.4635$>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > Joel Shepherd wrote:
    >
    > > mbstevens <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> You may think you're being very clear, but I keep seeing ambiguity.

    > > How did we get on multiple inheritance?
    > >

    > Now you're mix-in me up.

    Take your encapsulation and you'll feel better in the morning.

    Doh! :)
    Joel Shepherd, Jan 2, 2005
  19. Randy Yates

    mbstevens Guest

    Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > In article <yJMBd.4635$>,
    > mbstevens <> wrote:
    >
    >> Joel Shepherd wrote:

    >> > How did we get on multiple inheritance?
    >> >

    >> Now you're mix-in me up.

    > Take your encapsulation and you'll feel better in the morning.
    >
    > Doh! :)

    I suppose my behaviors have been idiomatic. I'll just collect my garbage
    and leave.

    mbstevens, Jan 2, 2005
  20. mbstevens <> wrote:

    > I suppose my behaviors have been idiomatic.

    I can't raise an exception at that statement.

    > I'll just collect my garbage and leave.

    Yes, you're causing a heap of trouble. Though do feel free to come back
    once you've collected yourself.

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Jan 3, 2005