    I tried to use all, but yield the same output. I am sure there are
    advantages of each one, please advise!
    Thanks!

    Matthew Louden, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Matthew Louden

    Scott M. Guest

    The HTML controls (client controls) are the same HTML 4.01 controls that
    have been part of the HTML language for a very long time. Use these when
    their native client-side functionality serves your purpose (lowest overhead
    with these controls).

    The HTML Server controls are the same as above but with added server-side
    programming/viewstate capabilities. Use these when migrating a "Classic
    ASP" application to ASP.NET and you won't have to completely replace all
    your old controls with new ones to get the .NET benefits of them. While you
    do get some server-side programming capabilities with these, you don't get
    the full range of properties, methods & events that pure server-side
    controls offer.

    The Web Form controls (a.k.a. Web Server controls) provide .NET native
    server-side programming support. The properties, methods and events of
    these controls are more VB like than the HTML controls. These controls
    offer the widest range of flexibility from a programming standpoint, but can
    (if not used correctly) create more overhead (viewstate) for your .aspx
    pages.

    The Web Form controls also feature controls that don't have an HTML
    equivalent (validation controls, data controls, other rich controls
    [calendar]). No matter which Web Form control you use, they render
    themselves to the client as pure HTML/JavaScript, so they can be used in any
    client!

    -Scott

    "Matthew Louden" <> wrote in message
    > Personally, I am totally confused with the following control terms and

    usage
    > and advantages of each one in ASP.NET web application. Here's what I know

    so

    Scott M., Oct 11, 2003