    charset=iso-8859-1?
    I have tried ⅜ but no joy.
    TIA.
    T.J., Apr 27, 2005

  2. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "T.J." <> wrote in message
    news:d4oas5$t98$...
    > Hi.
    > What is the HTML code for 3/8ths using
    > charset=iso-8859-1?
    > I have tried &frac38; but no joy.
    > TIA.

    Sorry all,
    I think I have found it, ⅜
    is this a safe code though?
    T.J., Apr 27, 2005

  3. T.J.

    Oli Filth Guest

    T.J. wrote:
    > Hi.
    > What is the HTML code for 3/8ths using
    > charset=iso-8859-1?
    > I have tried &frac38; but no joy.

    There's an easy way of doing this assuming you have Microsoft Word. Go
    to Insert->Symbol, find the symbol you want and at the bottom the
    Unicode hex value will be displayed.

    I'm sure other word processors have a similar ability.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Apr 27, 2005
  4. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "Oli Filth" <> wrote in message
    > T.J. wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >> What is the HTML code for 3/8ths using
    >> charset=iso-8859-1?
    >> I have tried &frac38; but no joy.

    > ⅜
    >
    > There's an easy way of doing this assuming you have Microsoft Word. Go to
    > Insert->Symbol, find the symbol you want and at the bottom the Unicode hex
    > value will be displayed.
    >
    > I'm sure other word processors have a similar ability.
    >

    > --
    > Oli

    Thanks for the reply,
    I also found another code just after posting, but are not sure
    whether it is a safe code (will work on everyone's system)
    Will the code you gave work on all browsers and systems?
    Again, many thanks.
    T.J., Apr 27, 2005
  5. "T.J." <> wrote:

    > I think I have found it, ⅜

    Yes.

    > is this a safe code though?

    No. Although most fonts seem to contain it, see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/cgi-bin/run/~jkorpela/char.cgi?code=215C
    the glyphs aren't very readable. In Arial Unicode MS, it's OK, but in
    most other fonts the digits are too small.

    It's better to use just 3/8. See also:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/#fractions

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 27, 2005
  6. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "T.J." <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think I have found it, ⅜

    > Yes.
    >
    >> is this a safe code though?

    > No. Although most fonts seem to contain it, see
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/cgi-bin/run/~jkorpela/char.cgi?code=215C
    > the glyphs aren't very readable. In Arial Unicode MS, it's OK, but in
    > most other fonts the digits are too small.
    >
    > It's better to use just 3/8. See also:
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/#fractions

    Thank you,
    I had since decided to just stick with 3/8,
    especially as I need the page to be search engine friendly
    and assume most people will use 3/8 when searching.
    T.J., Apr 28, 2005
  7. T.J.

    Toby Inkster Guest

    T.J. wrote:

    > assume most people will use 3/8 when searching.

    Personally, I'd search for 0.375.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Apr 28, 2005
  8. T.J.

    Stephan Bird Guest

    In article <<>,> Toby
    Inkster () says...
    > T.J. wrote:
    >
    > > assume most people will use 3/8 when searching.

    > Personally, I'd search for 0.375.

    And if you're searching for one third? ;)

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    Currently in Caernarfon, Wales
    Stephan Bird, Apr 28, 2005
  9. T.J.

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Stephan Bird wrote:
    > Toby Inkster says...
    >
    >> Personally, I'd search for 0.375.

    > And if you're searching for one third? ;)

    I'd use a base 3 number system and search for 0.1. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Apr 28, 2005