html code for downloading flash player

Discussion in 'HTML' started by K., Oct 22, 2007.

  1. K.

    K. Guest

    Hello!I have a question to you.I have written such code:<object
    classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0"
    width="1" height="1" id="tlg_odliczanie_02" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="images/banner/banner41.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
    <embed src="images/banner/banner41.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
    width="1" height="1" name="tlg_odliczanie_02"
    align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain"
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    </object>Unfortunately when I validate the page by http://validator.w3.org
    my page gives me errors after validating.
    I cheet my page because I use above code only to make my
    page downloading flash player if it is necessary. I don`t want to
    display banner. I only want to my page shown the window
    that your browser needs downloading flash player.
    How would it be the code which let me do so? Of couse I would
    like to have a html code which is good with validator.w3.org
    standards.
    Could you write for me such code?

    Thank you very very much in advance
    Marcin
    K., Oct 22, 2007

  2. K.

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Oct 22, 7:16 am, "K." <> wrote:
    > Hello!I have a question to you.I have written such code:<object
    > classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
    > codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab..."
    > width="1" height="1" id="tlg_odliczanie_02" align="middle">
    > <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    > <param name="movie" value="images/banner/banner41.swf" />
    > <param name="quality" value="high" />
    > <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
    > <embed src="images/banner/banner41.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
    > width="1" height="1" name="tlg_odliczanie_02"
    > align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain"
    > type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    > pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    > </object>Unfortunately when I validate the page byhttp://validator.w3.org
    > my page gives me errors after validating.
    > I cheet my page because I use above code only to make my
    > page downloading flash player if it is necessary. I don`t want to
    > display banner. I only want to my page shown the window
    > that your browser needs downloading flash player.
    > How would it be the code which let me do so? Of couse I would
    > like to have a html code which is good with validator.w3.org
    > standards.
    > Could you write for me such code?
    >
    > Thank you very very much in advance
    > Marcin

    The main problem at the w3c validator is that embed is not and never
    has been an official tag either in html or xhtml. Thus everything used
    within the embed throws a validation error. The ActiveX path as
    specified by the classid is taken by browsers that support it, mainly
    IE and closely related ones such as MSN, ATT/Yahoo DSL etc. Most
    browsers do not support ActiveX. The embed path is taken by such
    browsers that do not support ActiveX. The embed path usually will
    work, but it is poor code. This does not seem to bother some media
    companies in code they write. However it is easy enough to write a
    path for non ActiveX browsers using ordinary objects rather than
    invalid embed. One can use a Microsoft conditional comments to route
    to the ActiveX path for Microsoft family browsers only and to other
    browsers only, for example. In some cases, an ActiveX path is not
    needed, and IE will support an ordinary object. This is true for
    flash, but IE will not start showing the flash display until it is
    completely downloaded which can be a bother for a large flash file.
    There are tricks that require a very short initial flash display to
    prevent this, but I prefer to use the ActiveX path for IE to allow use
    of the full range of parameters on IE browsers, if desired. I never
    use a link to download flash, wmp, Real etc., because I don't think
    that most viewers will be bothered to download and install a media
    player when they are viewing my page.They likely will just leave the
    page.

    View the source code for my page at http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.php
    .. for an example of this code. If you use a Firefox browser, you must
    select to view the source code before you start playing, otherwise you
    will not be offered the option to view source code on right clicking
    the page. The video is designed for a good broadband connection, as it
    has a quite large .flv video - about 21 MB. However the source code
    should be viewable on even a slow dialup connection. It should be
    possible to add parameters for both paths to allow downloading of
    flash, but I have never done this for reasons mentioned above. if you
    want the code in html 4.01 strict, view the page on an IE browser. If
    you want the code in xhtml, use most other recent browsers such as
    Opera, Firefox, Seamonkey, Safari for Windows etc to view the page.
    cwdjrxyz, Oct 22, 2007

  3. K.

    Bergamot Guest

    Bergamot, Oct 22, 2007
  4. K.

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Oct 22, 3:45 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > K. wrote:
    > > <embed src="images/banner/banner41.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
    > > Unfortunately when I validate the page byhttp://validator.w3.org
    > > my page gives me errors

    > http://alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

    The above reference to the "flashsatay" reference is just one of the
    older of several approaches used to avoid using embed and the
    resulting hissy fit that the w3c validator has when it finds it. It
    works, but requires an extra very small flash video and a bit of
    action script in encoding the flash. I have not tried it using the
    modern swf/flv flash videos. It likely will work for these, but I am
    not certain. Among other things, use of the flv and container swf
    file(both files are generated at the same time when you encode the
    video) avoids the total frame limitation of old swf that self contains
    the video. Thus it is suitable for large, high resolution videos as
    well as small ones. This older method is just one I had in mind in my
    response. A Google search will turn up several other methods. I find
    it easier to just copy my code than to make an extra small swf file
    for each video. I am also starting to use the object code as a php
    include so that I do not even have to recopy it. One should of course
    use the method that works best for you, so long as it works right and
    hopefully is valid. Despite methods available to overcome the use of
    embed for flash, wmv, Real rm, mov etc, use of embed still seems to be
    more common than not. The fact that many of the media companies still
    use it in code examples for their media probably has much to do with
    the large continued use of embed for media. Unlike the w3c validator,
    I won't have a hissy fit if I run into embed, although I had rather
    see code that is valid at the w3c.
    cwdjrxyz, Oct 22, 2007
  5. On Oct 22, 8:16 am, "K." <> wrote:
    > Hello!I have a question to you...
    > I cheet my page because I use above code only to make my
    > page downloading flash player if it is necessary.

    Just put a statement on your page that you require a specific version
    of Flash. Most Flash people publish to the default version. This is
    usually a mistake. You publish to the version you NEED. In most
    cases this is Flash 7. You will find that more times than not, this
    player is already installed on the visitors computer.

    The reason you don't version check and auto update, but rather have a
    statement and link to upgrade is because the version checking and auto
    upgrade crap will not work in may cases. For example the auto upgrade
    is useless on anything but IE. So since it will not work on 20-30% of
    your visitors why bother? You have to put the upgrade notice and link
    anyway.

    Also, if you want to validate read this:
    http://alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

    We use this almost all the time. And with properly created Flash, the
    problem of waiting for it to download is virtually eliminated. When
    ever I see one of those "loading" things in Flash I think to my self
    what novices the Flash developers are.
    Travis Newbury, Oct 23, 2007
  6. K.

    K. Guest

    Hello!

    I use SWFObject on my web page. I have found what I need:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    // <![CDATA[
    var so = new SWFObject("banner.php?id=52", "fl_top52_f", "900", "100",
    "7", "#ffffff");
    so.useExpressInstall("expressinstall.swf");
    so.addVariable("quality", "high");
    so.addVariable("clickTag", "bannerclick.php%3Fid%3D52");
    so.write("fl_top"+52);
    // ]]>
    </script>
    Thank you very much to all of you for helpMarcin
    K., Oct 24, 2007