HTML code warnings in asp.net html code view

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Craig Kenisston, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    This is a silly question. I'm relatively new to asp.net and asp at all. But
    I always had this doubt.

    I'm working with Visual Studio and while exploring the ASPCommerce starter
    kit, when I switch from design view to html code view, I see many keywords
    underlied, like if they were invalid, however, they're not, they display
    fine and the project runs fine.

    Example, the next, the "link" keyword is underlied and it popups to : "the
    active scheme does not support element link"

    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ASPNETCommerce.css">

    More, all the margin related attribute, are marked as : Could not find any
    attribute "leftmargin" of element body

    rightmargin="0"
    bottommargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">

    And so on ....

    So, could someone explain, what are all these warnings and where they are
    comming from ?

    Regards,

    Craig Kenisston, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Hi,

    It's the VS internal html validation, which by default (with no meta header
    "vs_targetSchema" in the head) validates against IE 3/NN 3. If you set the
    document property targetSchema to Internet Explorer 5 most, if not all, of
    these "errors" will disappear.

    Greetings
    Martin
    "Craig Kenisston" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is a silly question. I'm relatively new to asp.net and asp at all.

    But
    > I always had this doubt.
    >
    > I'm working with Visual Studio and while exploring the ASPCommerce starter
    > kit, when I switch from design view to html code view, I see many keywords
    > underlied, like if they were invalid, however, they're not, they display
    > fine and the project runs fine.
    >
    > Example, the next, the "link" keyword is underlied and it popups to : "the
    > active scheme does not support element link"
    >
    > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ASPNETCommerce.css">
    >
    > More, all the margin related attribute, are marked as : Could not find any
    > attribute "leftmargin" of element body

    topmargin="0"

    Martin Dechev, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Martin :

    Thanks, I did it, set it to Internet Explorer 5.0 (the higher option
    available there), and in fact it disappeared almost all.
    However, these still there warning:

    marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

    What does this have as special ?

    Regards,

    Craig Kenisston, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Hi,

    These are not in the w3c standards (they are in fact, but apply only for
    frame and iframe) and will be ignored by browsers. I prefer setting the
    margins of the body of the document using the style attribute:

    or assigning it a css class alternatively.

    Martin Dechev, Oct 7, 2004