HTML comment affects page layout and speed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by daxkent@gmail.com, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I have a page that is using some nested tables and nested divs.

    Here are two examples to look at.
    Please use IE as I can't duplicate the problem in Firefox.

    http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test1.htm
    http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test2.htm

    Both pages are identical script with the only difference being an HTML
    comment at the top of frame_test1.htm.
    But check out the difference in speed when you mouseover Zone4 and
    then mouseover Zone2, not to mention the extreme difference in
    presentation.

    How can a simple HTML comment at the top make so much difference????

    Can somebody please help me with an explanation on why this is.

    Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    dax

    , Sep 3, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a page that is using some nested tables and nested divs.
    >
    > Here are two examples to look at.
    > Please use IE as I can't duplicate the problem in Firefox.
    >
    > http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test1.htm
    > http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test2.htm
    >
    > Both pages are identical script with the only difference being an HTML
    > comment at the top of frame_test1.htm.

    Which precedes the DOCTYPE declaration, and I guess IE is treating the
    page as lacking a DOCTYPE declaration because content appeared before it
    found one.

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 3, 2007

  3. Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:06:48 GMT
    Harlan Messinger scribed:

    >> I have a page that is using some nested tables and nested divs.
    >>
    >> Here are two examples to look at.
    >> Please use IE as I can't duplicate the problem in Firefox.
    >>
    >> http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test1.htm
    >> http://www.iapzdevelopment.com/test/frame_test2.htm
    >>
    >> Both pages are identical script with the only difference being an HTML
    >> comment at the top of frame_test1.htm.

    > Which precedes the DOCTYPE declaration, and I guess IE is treating the
    > page as lacking a DOCTYPE declaration because content appeared before it
    > found one.

    Yep, I do that deliberately sometimes to fudge something thru ie6.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 4, 2007