    sensitive????

    Thanks for the help

    WStoreyII
    WStoreyII, Jun 29, 2004

  2. WStoreyII

    rf Guest

    "WStoreyII" <> wrote in message
    news:za3Ec.4248$...
    > I dont think that it really matters, but just for my own reference?
    >
    > I found a calendar component tutorial online for html components.
    > in this component the tag for a script was <SCRIPT
    > LANGUAGE="JavaScript"></SCRIPT>

    The language attribute is deprecated.

    > here is the problem when i tried this in my own component it would not

    work
    > until i used the tag like this
    > <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

    The type attribute is now required for the script element.

    > i could understand why this would not work on different browsers but the
    > calendar project works just fine on my computer so
    > i dont understand why it did nto work in my project.

    Different error correction?

    > Is this stuff case
    > sensitive????

    HTML is not case sensitive.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 29, 2004

  3. WStoreyII

    WStoreyII Guest

    then how come it worked when i loaded the calendar example and not on mine?

    ill send the demo if you wish

    wstoreyii

    WStoreyII, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Toby A Inkster, Jun 29, 2004
  5. WStoreyII

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:25:51 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    <> declared in
    alt.html,comp.lang.javascript,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:
    > rf wrote:
    >
    >> HTML is not case sensitive.

    That's the content, not the HTML.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jun 29, 2004
  6. WStoreyII

    rf Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > HTML is not case sensitive.

    <nitpick>
    > Bits of it are. Compare <strong>Hello</strong> with

    <strong>HELLO</strong>.
    </nitpick> :)

    <pedantic>
    HTML is not case sensitive.

    The content whose structure the HTML describes may be case sensitive in
    certain languages (such as English) where there is such a thing as case
    (unlike other languages, such as most South East Asian ones (and especially
    Chinese and its derivatives (where there are not even any "letters")) where
    there is no concept corresponding to upper and lower case) but the HTML bit
    (the stuff inside the start and end tags, the attributes and so on) is not,
    with the exception of the value of some of the attributes, such as in the
    case of href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case
    sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running, however
    one could actually argue that the "example.com" bit is actually part of the
    content, even though it does not appear as content within an element but
    rather as the value of an attribute.
    </pedantic>

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 29, 2004
  7. WStoreyII

    WStoreyII Guest

    WStoreyII, Jun 29, 2004
  8. WStoreyII

    rf Guest

    "WStoreyII" <> wrote in message
    > then how come it worked when i loaded the calendar example and not on

    mine?

    > ill send the demo if you wish

    Er, send it where?

    Provide a link to the demo and a link to your implementation.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 29, 2004
  9. WStoreyII

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:

    >>i could understand why this would not work on different browsers but the
    >>calendar project works just fine on my computer so
    >>i dont understand why it did nto work in my project.

    > Different error correction?
    >

    >>Is this stuff case
    >>sensitive????

    > HTML is not case sensitive.

    XHTML is tho.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jun 29, 2004
  10. rf wrote:
    > <pedantic>
    > The content whose structure the HTML describes may be case sensitive in
    > certain languages (such as English) where there is such a thing as case
    > (unlike other languages, such as most South East Asian ones (and especially
    > Chinese and its derivatives (where there are not even any "letters")) where
    > there is no concept corresponding to upper and lower case) but the HTML bit
    > (the stuff inside the start and end tags, the attributes and so on) is not,
    > with the exception of the value of some of the attributes, such as in the
    > case of href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case
    > sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running, however
    > one could actually argue that the "example.com" bit is actually part of the
    > content, even though it does not appear as content within an element but
    > rather as the value of an attribute.
    > </pedantic>

    Wow, that's one long sentence!

    <nitpick>
    Whether a link is case-sensitive may depend on operating system, but it
    doesn't have to. A server can just as easily be configured to show the
    same page for every URL, or show a different one based on the first
    letter of the file name and nothing else; there's no requirment to map
    URLs on to real files, although that's normally done.
    </nitpick>
    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 29, 2004
  11. WStoreyII

    rf Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    > > <pedantic>
    > > The content whose structure the HTML describes may be case sensitive in
    > > certain languages (such as English) where there is such a thing as case
    > > (unlike other languages, such as most South East Asian ones (and

    especially
    > > Chinese and its derivatives (where there are not even any "letters"))

    where
    > > there is no concept corresponding to upper and lower case) but the HTML

    bit
    > > (the stuff inside the start and end tags, the attributes and so on) is

    not,
    > > with the exception of the value of some of the attributes, such as in

    the
    > > case of href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case
    > > sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running,

    however
    > > one could actually argue that the "example.com" bit is actually part of

    the
    > > content, even though it does not appear as content within an element but
    > > rather as the value of an attribute.
    > > </pedantic>

    > Wow, that's one long sentence!
    >
    > <nitpick>
    > Whether a link is case-sensitive may depend on operating system, but it
    > doesn't have to. A server can just as easily be configured to show the
    > same page for every URL, or show a different one based on the first
    > letter of the file name and nothing else; there's no requirment to map
    > URLs on to real files, although that's normally done.
    > </nitpick>

    True.
    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 29, 2004
  12. WStoreyII

    Matt Kruse Guest

    rf wrote:
    > value of some of the attributes, such as in the case of
    > href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case
    > sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running

    <nitpick>
    The hostname portion of a url should never be case-sensitive.
    That is, http://WwW.SiteNAme.CoM/ should work regardless of case or server
    OS.
    What is case-sensitive depending on OS is the filename portion, meaning
    everything that comes after the single slash.
    </nipick>

    --
    Matt Kruse
    Javascript Toolbox: http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/
    Matt Kruse, Jun 29, 2004
  13. WStoreyII

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Matt Kruse" <> writes:
    > rf wrote:
    > > value of some of the attributes, such as in the case of
    > > href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case
    > > sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running

    > <nitpick>
    > The hostname portion of a url should never be case-sensitive.
    > That is, http://WwW.SiteNAme.CoM/ should work regardless of case or server
    > OS.
    > What is case-sensitive depending on OS is the filename portion, meaning
    > everything that comes after the single slash.
    > </nipick>

    <nitpick depth="2">
    href="example.com" refers to the local file 'example.com', not the
    host 'example.com' and so may be case-sensitive.
    </nitpick>

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Jun 29, 2004
  14. WStoreyII

    Grant Wagner Guest

    rf wrote:

    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > > rf wrote:
    > >
    > > > HTML is not case sensitive.

    > <nitpick>
    > > Bits of it are. Compare <strong>Hello</strong> with

    > <strong>HELLO</strong>.
    > </nitpick> :)
    >
    > <pedantic>
    > HTML is not case sensitive.
    >
    > The content whose structure the HTML describes may be case sensitive in
    > certain languages (such as English) where there is such a thing as case
    > (unlike other languages, such as most South East Asian ones (and especially
    > Chinese and its derivatives (where there are not even any "letters")) where
    > there is no concept corresponding to upper and lower case) but the HTML bit
    > (the stuff inside the start and end tags, the attributes and so on) is not,
    > with the exception of the value of some of the attributes, such as in the
    > case of href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case

    Actually, to nit-pick even more: example.com isn't case-sensitive either.
    Hostnames/domains are not case-sensitive. You get to the same site with:

    www.yahoo.com, Www.Yahoo.Com or WWW.YAHOO.COM

    The part that comes after the hostname/domain can be case-sensitive, but does
    not necessarily have to be, depending on server configuration.

    > sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running, however
    > one could actually argue that the "example.com" bit is actually part of the
    > content, even though it does not appear as content within an element but
    > rather as the value of an attribute.
    > </pedantic>

    I would argue that the HREF attribute is neither content nor HTML. It is a value
    assigned to the HREF attribute and as such obeys it's own syntax rules as
    defined by the W3C: <url:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#adef-href />

    A "uri" is defined as: <url: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-uri
    />

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *

    Grant Wagner, Jun 29, 2004
  15. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:25:51 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    > <> declared in
    > alt.html,comp.lang.javascript,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:
    >> rf wrote:
    >>
    >>> HTML is not case sensitive.

    > That's the content, not the HTML.

    The content is part of the HTML. Some parts of the HTML just happen to be
    PCDATA.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 29, 2004
  16. "rf" <> writes:

    > HTML is not case sensitive.

    That is an unfortunate but persistent simplification, not to say
    misnomer. The issue is substitution, not sensitivity.

    E.g., to refer to an instance of the element type 'div' in a parsed
    HTML document instance set you'd need to address 'DIV', not 'div'
    (forget the source, Luke). For attribute values the situation is even
    more error-prone, since a lot of attribute values in HTML are declared
    to be CDATA and case folding isn't applied (as opposed to all other
    types).

    --
    | ) 111010111011 | http://bednarz.nl/
    -(
    Eric B. Bednarz, Jun 29, 2004
  17. Grant Wagner wrote:
    > rf wrote:
    >>case of href="example.com"

    > Actually, to nit-pick even more: example.com isn't case-sensitive either.
    > Hostnames/domains are not case-sensitive.

    But "example.com" is a file name, not a domain name. It happens to
    resemble a domain name, yes, but it has no protocol segment, so it's
    interpreted as a file name by a browser with a quarter of a brain.
    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 30, 2004
  18. WStoreyII

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:25:51 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    > > <> declared in
    > > alt.html,comp.lang.javascript,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:

    > >> Bits of it are. Compare <strong>Hello</strong> with

    <strong>HELLO</strong>.

    > > That's the content, not the HTML.

    > The content is part of the HTML. Some parts of the HTML just happen to be
    > PCDATA.

    Hmmm, HTML, Markup.

    If the content is part of the HTML then what is HTML "marking up"?

    sprintf("Hello World");

    Is "Hello World" part of the C++ language?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 30, 2004
  19. rf wrote:

    > sprintf("Hello World");
    > Is "Hello World" part of the C++ language?

    Yes, in the case it is. (Though I think your syntax is wrong -- there are
    too few arguments. Try printf instead.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 30, 2004
  20. WStoreyII

    Mitja Guest

    Eric B. Bednarz <>
    (news:) wrote:
    > "rf" <> writes:
    >
    >> HTML is not case sensitive.

    > That is an unfortunate but persistent simplification, not to say
    > misnomer. The issue is substitution, not sensitivity.

    ???
    Of course it is insensitive.

    > E.g., to refer to an instance of the element type 'div' in a parsed
    > HTML document instance set you'd need to address 'DIV', not 'div'
    > (forget the source, Luke). For attribute values the situation is even
    > more error-prone, since a lot of attribute values in HTML are declared
    > to be CDATA and case folding isn't applied (as opposed to all other
    > types).

    This may have to do with you parsing library or whatever, but not HTML as
    such.

    Mitja, Jun 30, 2004