Html Component Question

WStoreyII

I dont think that it really matters, but just for my own reference?

I found a calendar component tutorial online for html components.
in this component the tag for a script was <SCRIPT
LANGUAGE="JavaScript"></SCRIPT>

here is the problem when i tried this in my own component it would not work
until i used the tag like this
<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

i could understand why this would not work on different browsers but the
calendar project works just fine on my computer so
i dont understand why it did nto work in my project. Is this stuff case
sensitive????

Thanks for the help

WStoreyII

rf

WStoreyII said:
I dont think that it really matters, but just for my own reference?

I found a calendar component tutorial online for html components.
in this component the tag for a script was <SCRIPT
LANGUAGE="JavaScript"></SCRIPT>

The language attribute is deprecated.
here is the problem when i tried this in my own component it would not work
until i used the tag like this
<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

The type attribute is now required for the script element.
i could understand why this would not work on different browsers but the
calendar project works just fine on my computer so
i dont understand why it did nto work in my project.

Different error correction?
Is this stuff case
sensitive????

HTML is not case sensitive.

WStoreyII

then how come it worked when i loaded the calendar example and not on mine?

ill send the demo if you wish

wstoreyii

rf

Bits of it are. Compare <strong>Hello</strong> with
<strong>HELLO</strong>.
</nitpick> :)

<pedantic>
HTML is not case sensitive.

The content whose structure the HTML describes may be case sensitive in
certain languages (such as English) where there is such a thing as case
(unlike other languages, such as most South East Asian ones (and especially
Chinese and its derivatives (where there are not even any "letters")) where
there is no concept corresponding to upper and lower case) but the HTML bit
(the stuff inside the start and end tags, the attributes and so on) is not,
with the exception of the value of some of the attributes, such as in the
case of href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case
sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running, however
one could actually argue that the "example.com" bit is actually part of the
content, even though it does not appear as content within an element but
rather as the value of an attribute.
</pedantic>

WStoreyII

rf said:
<strong>HELLO</strong>.
</nitpick> :)

<pedantic> // What is Pedantic???????

WStoreyII said:
then how come it worked when i loaded the calendar example and not on mine?

ill send the demo if you wish

Er, send it where?

Provide a link to the demo and a link to your implementation.

Leif K-Brooks

rf said:
<pedantic>
[...]

Wow, that's one long sentence!

<nitpick>
Whether a link is case-sensitive may depend on operating system, but it
doesn't have to. A server can just as easily be configured to show the
same page for every URL, or show a different one based on the first
letter of the file name and nothing else; there's no requirment to map
URLs on to real files, although that's normally done.
</nitpick>

rf

Leif K-Brooks said:
Wow, that's one long sentence!

<nitpick>
Whether a link is case-sensitive may depend on operating system, but it
doesn't have to. A server can just as easily be configured to show the
same page for every URL, or show a different one based on the first
letter of the file name and nothing else; there's no requirment to map
URLs on to real files, although that's normally done.
</nitpick>

True.

Matt Kruse

rf said:
value of some of the attributes, such as in the case of
href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case
sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running

<nitpick>
The hostname portion of a url should never be case-sensitive.
That is, http://WwW.SiteNAme.CoM/ should work regardless of case or server
OS.
What is case-sensitive depending on OS is the filename portion, meaning
everything that comes after the single slash.
</nipick>

Chris Morris

Matt Kruse said:
<nitpick>
The hostname portion of a url should never be case-sensitive.
That is, http://WwW.SiteNAme.CoM/ should work regardless of case or server
OS.
What is case-sensitive depending on OS is the filename portion, meaning
everything that comes after the single slash.
</nipick>

<nitpick depth="2">
href="example.com" refers to the local file 'example.com', not the
host 'example.com' and so may be case-sensitive.
</nitpick>

Grant Wagner

rf said:
<strong>HELLO</strong>.
</nitpick> :)

<pedantic>
HTML is not case sensitive.

The content whose structure the HTML describes may be case sensitive in
certain languages (such as English) where there is such a thing as case
(unlike other languages, such as most South East Asian ones (and especially
Chinese and its derivatives (where there are not even any "letters")) where
there is no concept corresponding to upper and lower case) but the HTML bit
(the stuff inside the start and end tags, the attributes and so on) is not,
with the exception of the value of some of the attributes, such as in the
case of href="example.com" where "example.com" may or may not be case

Actually, to nit-pick even more: example.com isn't case-sensitive either.
Hostnames/domains are not case-sensitive. You get to the same site with:

www.yahoo.com, Www.Yahoo.Com or WWW.YAHOO.COM

The part that comes after the hostname/domain can be case-sensitive, but does
not necessarily have to be, depending on server configuration.
sensitive depending on which operating system the server is running, however
one could actually argue that the "example.com" bit is actually part of the
content, even though it does not appear as content within an element but
rather as the value of an attribute.
</pedantic>

I would argue that the HREF attribute is neither content nor HTML. It is a value
assigned to the HREF attribute and as such obeys it's own syntax rules as
defined by the W3C: <url:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#adef-href />

A "uri" is defined as: <url: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-uri
/>

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*

Eric B. Bednarz

rf said:
HTML is not case sensitive.

That is an unfortunate but persistent simplification, not to say
misnomer. The issue is substitution, not sensitivity.

E.g., to refer to an instance of the element type 'div' in a parsed
HTML document instance set you'd need to address 'DIV', not 'div'
(forget the source, Luke). For attribute values the situation is even
more error-prone, since a lot of attribute values in HTML are declared
to be CDATA and case folding isn't applied (as opposed to all other
types).

Leif K-Brooks

Grant said:
Actually, to nit-pick even more: example.com isn't case-sensitive either.
Hostnames/domains are not case-sensitive.

But "example.com" is a file name, not a domain name. It happens to
resemble a domain name, yes, but it has no protocol segment, so it's
interpreted as a file name by a browser with a quarter of a brain.

rf

Toby A Inkster said:
The content is part of the HTML. Some parts of the HTML just happen to be
PCDATA.

Hmmm, HTML, Markup.

If the content is part of the HTML then what is HTML "marking up"?

sprintf("Hello World");

Is "Hello World" part of the C++ language?

Toby A Inkster

rf said:
sprintf("Hello World");
Is "Hello World" part of the C++ language?

Yes, in the case it is. (Though I think your syntax is wrong -- there are
too few arguments. Try printf instead.)

Mitja

Eric B. Bednarz said:
That is an unfortunate but persistent simplification, not to say
misnomer. The issue is substitution, not sensitivity.

???
Of course it is insensitive.
E.g., to refer to an instance of the element type 'div' in a parsed
HTML document instance set you'd need to address 'DIV', not 'div'
(forget the source, Luke). For attribute values the situation is even
more error-prone, since a lot of attribute values in HTML are declared
to be CDATA and case folding isn't applied (as opposed to all other
types).

This may have to do with you parsing library or whatever, but not HTML as
such.