HTML, CSS and JavaScript Optimizer

Stefan Mueller

Can someone recommend a good HTML, CSS and JavaScript optimizer?
I'm looking for a tool which removes all unnecessary characters like spaces
(but not spaces withing a text), line breaks, comments (also // and /* */
within JavaScripts), ...
It would be great if it also could change long variable names to shorter
names.

Stefan

brucie

Can someone recommend a good HTML, CSS and JavaScript optimizer?

grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
html tidy: http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
I'm looking for a tool which removes all unnecessary characters like spaces
(but not spaces withing a text), line breaks, comments (also // and /* */
within JavaScripts), ...

if you're wanting this to "optimize" your giggly stuff so its smaller in
bytes needing to be sent to the visitor its a waste of time unless its a
real dogs breakfast in need of a tidy up. you're far better off using http
compression to send out your goodies, you save waaaaaay more bytes.
It would be great if it also could change long variable names to shorter

just a simple search and replace will do.

Toby Inkster

brucie said:
you're far better off using http compression to send out your goodies,
you save waaaaaay more bytes.

Indeed: mod_gzip will probably shrink your page down to about 10%-25% of
its original size and requires virtually no effort on your part.