    found on www require a bit of js.

    thank you very mucho
    kev

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005

  2. the idiot wrote:

    > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
    > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
    > have found on www require a bit of js.

    Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it depends
    on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu as them
    move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few seconds of
    fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g. as
    caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 6, 2005

  3. the idiot wrote:

    > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
    > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
    > have found on www require a bit of js.

    Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it depends
    on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and then

    David Dorward, Mar 6, 2005
  4. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

    css
    > > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
    > > have found on www require a bit of js.

    > Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it

    depends
    > on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and

    then
    > move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few seconds

    of
    > fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g. as
    > caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)

    arghhh just as i assumed... i was going to build a nice css menu to replace
    the dhtml one i have so that the 10% of folk who browse with js turned off
    could see it but to do it it would mean stopping the 90% who use ie from
    seeing it.......... oh dear oh dear oh dear.
    cheers anyway.

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005
  5. On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:27:20 +0000, the idiot wrote:

    > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    >> the idiot wrote:
    >>
    >> > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

    > css
    >> > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
    >> > have found on www require a bit of js.

    >> Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it

    > depends
    >> on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and

    > then
    >> move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few seconds

    > of
    >> fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g. as
    >> caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)
    >>

    > arghhh just as i assumed... i was going to build a nice css menu to replace
    > the dhtml one i have so that the 10% of folk who browse with js turned off
    > could see it but to do it it would mean stopping the 90% who use ie from
    > seeing it.......... oh dear oh dear oh dear.
    > cheers anyway.

    Well, some of us linux using and js disabling users, would appreciate a
    site that works for us and not for MS Users. Yeah, I really think I would. :)

    CArolyn

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 6, 2005
  6. the idiot

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:12:50 -0000 the idiot wrote:

    > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
    > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
    > have found on www require a bit of js.
    >
    > thank you very mucho
    > kev

    www.suckerfish.org

    Check out their menus.
    Works fairly well in IE6 even without JS.
    They only use a very small script to trick IE into using the css.

    Richard, Mar 6, 2005
  7. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Carolyn Marenger" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:27:20 +0000, the idiot wrote:
    >

    > > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message

    (xhtml)
    > > css

    > >> Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it

    > > depends
    > >> on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and

    > > then
    > >> move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few

    seconds
    > > of
    > >> fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g.

    as
    > >> caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)
    > >>

    > > arghhh just as i assumed... i was going to build a nice css menu to

    replace
    > > the dhtml one i have so that the 10% of folk who browse with js turned

    off
    > > could see it but to do it it would mean stopping the 90% who use ie from
    > > seeing it.......... oh dear oh dear oh dear.
    > > cheers anyway.

    > Well, some of us linux using and js disabling users, would appreciate a
    > site that works for us and not for MS Users. Yeah, I really think I

    would. :)

    thats why i am stuck with what to bloomin well do. i want everyone to be
    happy.

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005
  8. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:12:50 -0000 the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

    css
    > > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
    > > have found on www require a bit of js.
    > >
    > > thank you very mucho
    > > kev
    > >

    > www.suckerfish.org
    >
    > Check out their menus.
    > Works fairly well in IE6 even without JS.
    > They only use a very small script to trick IE into using the css.

    i think i was looking at something similar earlier but because it uses a
    little bit of js to fix ie doesnt that mean that all those without js turned
    on wouldnt be able to see anything? or am i confused again...

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005
  9. Richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:12:50 -0000 the idiot wrote:
    >
    >>is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
    >>without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
    >>have found on www require a bit of js.

    > www.suckerfish.org

    Got an error message:
    www.suckerfish.org could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

    Or you mean
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Mar 6, 2005
  10. the idiot wrote:
    > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
    > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i have
    > found on www require a bit of js.

    A nice horizontal drop-down menu explanation.
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/

    Sneak preview (xhtml trans 1.0)
    http://www.alistapart.com/d/horizdropdowns/horizontal.htm
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Mar 6, 2005
  11. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Edwin van der Vaart" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    > > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

    css
    > > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i

    have
    > > found on www require a bit of js.

    > A nice horizontal drop-down menu explanation.
    > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/
    >
    > Sneak preview (xhtml trans 1.0)
    > http://www.alistapart.com/d/horizdropdowns/horizontal.htm
    > --

    yeah thats one of the ones ive seen but doesnt it use a bit of js to fix a
    ie bug - in which case it wouldnt be seeable by those with js turned off?

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005
  12. the idiot

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote:
    >"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    >>
    >> www.suckerfish.org
    >>
    >> Check out their menus.
    >> Works fairly well in IE6 even without JS.
    >> They only use a very small script to trick IE into using the css.
    >>

    >i think i was looking at something similar earlier but because it uses a
    >little bit of js to fix ie doesnt that mean that all those without js turned
    >on wouldnt be able to see anything? or am i confused again...

    The suckerfissh menus use JS (for IE only as other browsers support
    the CSS only method) to manipulate a menu that is present in the HTML.
    It does not use JS to write the menu into the page. So users without
    JS will have the full menu fully visible in the page at all times. If
    your menu is big that can be a nuisance.

    Why do you want a full menu on every page in the first place?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Mar 6, 2005
  13. the idiot

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"
    <> writing in

    > "Edwin van der Vaart" <> wrote in message
    >> the idiot wrote:
    >> > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html
    >> > (xhtml) css without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all
    >> > the tutorials i have found on www require a bit of js.

    >> A nice horizontal drop-down menu explanation.
    >> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/
    >>
    >> Sneak preview (xhtml trans 1.0)
    >> http://www.alistapart.com/d/horizdropdowns/horizontal.htm --

    > yeah thats one of the ones ive seen but doesnt it use a bit of js to
    > fix a ie bug - in which case it wouldnt be seeable by those with js
    > turned off?

    For example:
    <ul>
    <ul>
    </ul>
    </li>
    </ul>
    Just make sure that you have navigation to page2.html and page3.html ON
    page secondary.html and you should be fine.

    The only problem I have had with this menu is On Mouse Up sometimes loses
    the menu, but not consistently.

    I have the menu in use at http://win04.startlogic.com/infinica/ (I am aware
    of the font size issue and have been told to keep it that way, despite all
    my warnings). The management link has the drop down.
    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Mar 6, 2005
  14. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"
    > <> writing in
    >

    > > "Edwin van der Vaart" <> wrote in message
    > >> A nice horizontal drop-down menu explanation.
    > >> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/
    > >>
    > >> Sneak preview (xhtml trans 1.0)
    > >> http://www.alistapart.com/d/horizdropdowns/horizontal.htm --

    > > yeah thats one of the ones ive seen but doesnt it use a bit of js to
    > > fix a ie bug - in which case it wouldnt be seeable by those with js
    > > turned off?
    > >

    > For example:
    > <ul>
    > <ul>
    > </ul>
    > </li>
    > </ul>
    > Just make sure that you have navigation to page2.html and page3.html ON
    > page secondary.html and you should be fine.
    >
    > The only problem I have had with this menu is On Mouse Up sometimes loses
    > the menu, but not consistently.
    >
    > I have the menu in use at http://win04.startlogic.com/infinica/ (I am

    aware
    > of the font size issue and have been told to keep it that way, despite all
    > my warnings). The management link has the drop down.
    > --

    ooh thank you

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005
  15. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    > >"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> www.suckerfish.org
    > >>
    > >> Check out their menus.
    > >> Works fairly well in IE6 even without JS.
    > >> They only use a very small script to trick IE into using the css.
    > >>

    > >i think i was looking at something similar earlier but because it uses a
    > >little bit of js to fix ie doesnt that mean that all those without js

    turned
    > >on wouldnt be able to see anything? or am i confused again...

    > The suckerfissh menus use JS (for IE only as other browsers support
    > the CSS only method) to manipulate a menu that is present in the HTML.
    > It does not use JS to write the menu into the page. So users without
    > JS will have the full menu fully visible in the page at all times. If
    > your menu is big that can be a nuisance.
    >
    > Why do you want a full menu on every page in the first place?

    its a long story (actually it isnt) but id built a site that used iframes
    and i replaced them with scrolling divs.. anyway i want the viewer to be
    able to just click away to any page and still have the menu available at all
    times... is that bad?
    anyway here it is not great but the owner likes it.
    http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index.html
    anyway my original question came because id built a dhtml menu not knowing
    it wouldnt show up for those without js - so then i had to put some normal
    links in as well - but id rather just have a nice horizontal html/css drop
    down menu to replace both of them...

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005
  16. the idiot wrote:
    > "Edwin van der Vaart" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>the idiot wrote:
    >>
    >>>is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

    > css
    >
    >>>without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i

    > have
    >
    >>>found on www require a bit of js.

    >>A nice horizontal drop-down menu explanation.
    >>http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/
    >>
    >>Sneak preview (xhtml trans 1.0)
    >>http://www.alistapart.com/d/horizdropdowns/horizontal.htm

    > yeah thats one of the ones ive seen but doesnt it use a bit of js to fix a
    > ie bug - in which case it wouldnt be seeable by those with js turned off?

    That's the one with the js fix for IE. When you change the extension .js
    into .jsp, then it properbly would work correctly. If your provider does
    support sever-side scripting.
    Then again. How many people surf the internet with IE, that has disabled
    "js".
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Mar 6, 2005
  17. the idiot

    > the idiot wrote:
    > > "Edwin van der Vaart" <> wrote in message

    > > css

    > > have

    > >>A nice horizontal drop-down menu explanation.
    > >>http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/
    > >>
    > >>Sneak preview (xhtml trans 1.0)
    > >>http://www.alistapart.com/d/horizdropdowns/horizontal.htm

    > > yeah thats one of the ones ive seen but doesnt it use a bit of js to fix

    > > ie bug - in which case it wouldnt be seeable by those with js turned

    off?
    > That's the one with the js fix for IE. When you change the extension .js
    > into .jsp, then it properbly would work correctly. If your provider does
    > support sever-side scripting.
    > Then again. How many people surf the internet with IE, that has disabled
    > "js".

    i have absolutely no idea - though i was told on here that 10% of surfers
    dont have/use js... so i was just trying to please eveybody hehe.. and
    pardon my ignorance but what is jsp? ive no idea what my provider does
    support - im not even sure what server-side scripting means... as you may
    note im not called the idiot for nothing sir. i jsut like to do the odd
    website for folk whilst trying to learn from every mistake.

    the idiot, Mar 6, 2005
  18. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > That's the one with the js fix for IE. When you change the extension .js
    > into .jsp, then it properbly would work correctly. If your provider does
    > support sever-side scripting.

    How could trying to process a JavaScript script with a Java Server Pages
    engine work? Java and JavaScript are entirely different languages, and
    server side scripts can't react to client events[1] either!

    [1] A client side script could react to such an event and in turn make an
    HTTP request to trigger a server side script - but that wouldn't happen
    with that code.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 6, 2005
  19. the idiot

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart <> wrote:

    >That's the one with the js fix for IE. When you change the extension .js
    >into .jsp, then it properbly would work correctly. If your provider does
    >support sever-side scripting.

    ..js files are JavsScript files that are parsed by the browser.
    ..jsp files are Java Server Page files that are parsed by the server.

    JavaScript and Java are totally different things.

    ..js and .jsp files have nothing to do with each other.

    Your suggestion is totally wrong.

    Steve Pugh, Mar 6, 2005
  20. the idiot wrote:

    > pardon my ignorance but what is jsp?

    Java Server Pages; a technique for server side scripting with Java (and
    nothing whatsoever to do with the JavaScript other then "Oh! Sun is making
    a big fuss about Java. I wonder if they'll let us call LiveScript
    JavaScript and cash in on the publicity?").

    > im not even sure what server-side scripting means...

    To run a piece of software in response to an HTTP request (instead of simply
    reading a static file and returning it to the user). The output of the
    software (typically an HTML document, but any type of data is possible) is
    returned to the client.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 6, 2005