    The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

    thx floortje

    , Mar 13, 2012

  2. wrote:
    > Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself
    >
    > The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

    Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
    an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
    screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
    black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2012

  3. On Mar 13, 1:58 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels.  There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

    > > The result ishttp://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell mewhat u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

    > Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
    > an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
    > screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
    > black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

    Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
    much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.

    I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
    using in the past).

    Captain Paralytic, Mar 13, 2012
  4. Captain Paralytic wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 1:58 pm, "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

    >>> The result ishttp://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

    >> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
    >> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
    >> screen> bucket fill with red> View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
    >> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

    > Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
    > much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.
    >
    > I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
    > using in the past).

    Except you still have the browser chrome.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2012
  5. Mayeul Guest

    On 13/03/2012 15:43, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Captain Paralytic wrote:

    >>> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
    >>> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
    >>> screen> bucket fill with red> View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
    >>> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

    >> Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
    >> much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.
    >>
    >> I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
    >> using in the past).
    >>

    > Except you still have the browser chrome.

    Not me. Kind of the point of the page, really.

    And the 'Drag me' text is neither a cake nor a lie.

    --
    Mayeul

    Mayeul, Mar 13, 2012
  6. floortje Guest

    On Mar 13, 9:58 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels.  There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

    > > The result ishttp://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell mewhat u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

    > Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
    > an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
    > screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
    > black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Why ... because i wanted to. Then I posted it here because I thought
    it was pretty cool use of html. Ofcourse I could have used paint (if I
    had a m$ machine that is) but that is not the point now is it ?

    floortje, Mar 13, 2012
  7. On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:23:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself
    >
    >The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

    You installed something on my system that persisted *after* I
    closed the page, and I had to restart my browser. When I entered a
    character (D did it, but not space), the message about F11 and
    full-screen mode appeared.

    It might be an artefact of that I usually run with JavaScript
    disabled and specifically enabled it to try your page.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Mar 13, 2012
  8. Mayeul wrote:
    > On 13/03/2012 15:43, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >> Except you still have the browser chrome.

    > Not me. Kind of the point of the page, really.
    >
    > And the 'Drag me' text is neither a cake nor a lie.

    Not sure which browser you are using, the pages script does not remove
    my browser chrome from view...SeaMonkey, Firefox, IE9

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2012
  9. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <16932473.989.1331645009484.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynv11>,
    wrote:

    > Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test
    > if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that
    > offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a
    > real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself
    >
    > The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what
    > u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff
    > and safari (5.1+)

    Yes, this should help some people. There are some minor faults in the
    page in case you are interested:

    1. See what happens to the text and little iconic boxes when Zoomed
    Text Only, better to size your boxes in ems rather than pxs because
    then they grow with text size.

    2. With JS off, there are wrong instructions about F11 and things for
    Safari, even for versions you allow.

    3. It does not quite test for dead pixels under the 'drag me !' box.
    When dragged, maybe the dead make like Lazarus?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 13, 2012
  10. Tim Streater Guest

    In article <jjnmeq$srn$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Captain Paralytic wrote:

    > >> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
    > >> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
    > >> screen> bucket fill with red> View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
    > >> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

    > > Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
    > > much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.
    > >
    > > I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
    > > using in the past).
    > >

    > Except you still have the browser chrome.

    No you don't. He was able to make it be full-screen here OS X Lion
    Safari 5.1.3.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Mar 13, 2012
  11. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <jjnmeq$srn$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >

    >> Except you still have the browser chrome.

    > No you don't. He was able to make it be full-screen here OS X Lion
    > Safari 5.1.3.

    None of my browsers will go into fullscreen automatically, (which I find
    comforting) and only in IE to I get the "Use F11" message. In SeaMonkey
    you have to disable the Navigation Bar, (not default), in order to
    remove all chrome...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2012
  12. Mayeul Guest

    On 13/03/2012 17:40, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Mayeul wrote:
    >> On 13/03/2012 15:43, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> Except you still have the browser chrome.

    >> Not me. Kind of the point of the page, really.
    >>
    >> And the 'Drag me' text is neither a cake nor a lie.
    >>

    > Not sure which browser you are using, the pages script does not remove
    > my browser chrome from view...SeaMonkey, Firefox, IE9

    Firefox, and I'm pretty sure I'm using default settings for this.

    The JavaScript code is rather straightforward about the intention to go
    fullscreen when you click for it.

    --
    Mayeul

    Mayeul, Mar 14, 2012
  13. On Mar 13, 2:43 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > Captain Paralytic wrote:

    > >> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
    > >> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
    > >> screen>  bucket fill with red>  View fullscreen. Repeat for green,blue,
    > >> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

    > > Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
    > > much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.

    > > I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
    > > using in the past).

    > Except you still have the browser chrome.

    Certainly not when I tried it in Chrome and FireFox.

    Captain Paralytic, Mar 14, 2012
  14. floortje Guest

    > Yes, this should help some people. There are some minor faults in the
    > page in case you are interested:
    >
    > 1. See what happens to the text and little iconic boxes when Zoomed
    > Text Only, better to size your boxes in ems rather than pxs because
    > then they grow with text size.

    check, rookie mistake, fixed it :)

    > 2. With JS off, there are wrong instructions about F11 and things for
    > Safari, even for versions you allow.

    Check, fixed it

    > 3. It does not quite test for dead pixels under the 'drag me !' box.
    > When dragged, maybe the dead make like Lazarus?

    What does this mean ? The idea was that the drag-me box could be dragged to check under there. Seemed to me the friendliest ui solution rather than hiding the navigation or something.

    > --
    > dorayme

    Ps, anyone any idea why this doesn't seem to center the child in ff ?

    #container {
    display: block;
    position: absolute;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    display: -webkit-box;
    -webkit-box-orient: horizontal;
    -webkit-box-pack: center;
    -webkit-box-align: center;
    display: -moz-box;
    -moz-box-orient: horizontal;
    -moz-box-pack: center;
    -moz-box-align: center;
    display: box;
    box-orient: horizontal;
    box-pack: center;
    box-align: center;
    }

    floortje, Mar 14, 2012
  15. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <20694258.733.1331732035947.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbut24>,
    floortje <> wrote:

    > Ps, anyone any idea why this doesn't seem to center the child in ff ?
    >
    > #container {
    > display: block;
    > position: absolute;
    > top: 0;
    > left: 0;
    > width: 100%;
    > height: 100%;
    > display: -webkit-box;

    Not sure why you think it should? If you want to centre something,
    would

    <http://netweaver.com.au/centring/page6.html>

    maybe help you?

    --