    using Outlook or Outlook Express? The only way I can think of is to put
    the web page on the net and then click on "Send Page by Email" in
    Internet Explorer. There must be a better way.
    mcp6453, Jul 2, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Els Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > The office supply stores and many others send HTML email.
    > How is it done? How can I create a web page and then send
    > it as an HTML message using Outlook or Outlook Express? The
    > only way I can think of is to put the web page on the net
    > and then click on "Send Page by Email" in Internet
    > Explorer. There must be a better way.

    In OE:
    Open a new email, make sure it's in Rich Text mode, then click
    source at the bottom of the window (3 tabs there), and paste
    your code in there. (Take out the code which is there already).

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Jul 2, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Els wrote:

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >
    > > The office supply stores and many others send HTML email.
    > > How is it done? How can I create a web page and then send
    > > it as an HTML message using Outlook or Outlook Express? The
    > > only way I can think of is to put the web page on the net
    > > and then click on "Send Page by Email" in Internet
    > > Explorer. There must be a better way.

    > In OE:
    > Open a new email, make sure it's in Rich Text mode, then click
    > source at the bottom of the window (3 tabs there), and paste
    > your code in there. (Take out the code which is there already).

    Wow! That's simple enough. Thanks for the quick answer.
    mcp6453, Jul 2, 2004
  4. mcp6453 wrote:

    > The office supply stores and many others send HTML email. How is it
    > done? How can I create a web page and then send it as an HTML message

    And lots of people filter out HTML mail. Your call.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    New June 23:
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 2, 2004
  5. "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Els wrote:
    > >
    > > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > > > The office supply stores and many others send HTML email.
    > > > How is it done? How can I create a web page and then send
    > > > it as an HTML message using Outlook or Outlook Express? The
    > > > only way I can think of is to put the web page on the net
    > > > and then click on "Send Page by Email" in Internet
    > > > Explorer. There must be a better way.

    > > In OE:
    > > Open a new email, make sure it's in Rich Text mode, then click
    > > source at the bottom of the window (3 tabs there), and paste
    > > your code in there. (Take out the code which is there already).

    > Wow! That's simple enough. Thanks for the quick answer.

    Just make sure you remotely link the images etc as:

    A. You don't want to make the email huge
    B. If you want to change offers etc then just change the graphics
    and the next time they look at the email the graphics would
    change.
    C. If you forget to link them to a remote source then all the
    images will be missing which will look very unprofessional!

    Hope that helps

    --
    Dean / Psyonic
    www.aspexdesign.co.uk Free graphics files and more
    Psyonicdreams, Jul 2, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >
    > > The office supply stores and many others send HTML email. How is it
    > > done? How can I create a web page and then send it as an HTML message

    > And lots of people filter out HTML mail. Your call.

    I know, but this is a one time mailing to a closed list of about 1000
    people.
    mcp6453, Jul 3, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    Karl Groves Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > >
    > > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > > > The office supply stores and many others send HTML email. How is it
    > > > done? How can I create a web page and then send it as an HTML message

    > > And lots of people filter out HTML mail. Your call.

    > I know, but this is a one time mailing to a closed list of about 1000
    > people.

    One time mailing usually = spam

    Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the e-mail for
    those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
    Like so
    <!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML email.
    Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of this
    newsletter -->

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Jul 3, 2004
  8. mcp6453

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:cc5bgi$k1a$>
    Karl Groves <> said:

    > One time mailing usually = spam

    true

    > Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the e-mail for
    > those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
    > Like so
    > <!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML email.
    > Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of this
    > newsletter -->

    which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
    bit pointless.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Jul 3, 2004
  9. mcp6453

    Karl Groves Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post: <news:cc5bgi$k1a$>
    > Karl Groves <> said:
    >
    > > One time mailing usually = spam

    > true
    >
    > > Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the e-mail

    for
    > > those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
    > > Like so
    > > <!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML

    email.
    > > Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of

    this
    > > newsletter -->

    > which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
    > bit pointless.

    Actually, it worked just fine on my mail client, Goldmine which, upon
    recieving HTML email, turned it into plain text (er, raw HTML)
    However, I do not know how the e-mail was handled in other clients. Anyone
    have any info on that?

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Jul 3, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post: <news:cc5bgi$k1a$>
    > Karl Groves <> said:
    >
    > > One time mailing usually = spam

    > true
    >
    > > Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the e-mail for
    > > those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
    > > Like so
    > > <!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML email.
    > > Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of this
    > > newsletter -->

    > which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
    > bit pointless.

    Well, it's not spam. Anyway, we have decided to include a link in the
    email that goes to a web page with a formmail/sendmail/whatever script.
    Now I need to learn how to set up such a script on an Apache server.
    Suggestions for simple, easy to learn, easy to install scripts
    appreciated.
    mcp6453, Jul 3, 2004
  11. mcp6453

    rf Guest

    "Karl Groves" <> wrote in message

    > "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > > in post: <news:cc5bgi$k1a$>
    > > Karl Groves <> said:
    > >
    > > > One time mailing usually = spam

    > > true
    > >
    > > > Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the

    e-mail
    > for
    > > > those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
    > > > Like so
    > > > <!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML

    > email.
    > > > Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of

    > this
    > > > newsletter -->

    > > which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
    > > bit pointless.

    > Actually, it worked just fine on my mail client, Goldmine which, upon
    > recieving HTML email, turned it into plain text (er, raw HTML)

    And how friendly is that?

    > However, I do not know how the e-mail was handled in other clients.

    Anyone
    > have any info on that?

    Both of my email clients make an HTML email into an attachment, which I
    immediately delete, unless I know the sender personally and am expecting
    them to send me HTML email, which I constantly remind them that I do not
    like.

    An unsolicited email that contains HTML is *immediately* deleted.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 3, 2004
  12. mcp6453

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > An unsolicited email that contains HTML is *immediately* deleted.

    What about bills? Often you don't where these are going to come from when
    you sign up. Usually these are multipart., with the html and a plain text.

    The commonly used SPAM Assasin does a good job on cleaning up html only
    spams (while letting through the bills), pretty bad with plain text.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 3, 2004
  13. mcp6453

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:cc67tf$395$>
    Karl Groves <> said:

    >>> <!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML
    >>> email. Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online
    >>> version of this newsletter -->

    >> which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
    >> bit pointless.

    > Actually, it worked just fine on my mail client, Goldmine

    so it accepts email other than plain text

    > which, upon recieving HTML email, turned it into plain text (er, raw
    > HTML)

    i'll rephrase what i said before. your <!-- html version --> thingy
    above doesn't work for people who only accept email with a text/plain
    content type.

    > However, I do not know how the e-mail was handled in other clients. Anyone
    > have any info on that?

    it depends on each persons preferences regardless of what email client
    they're using. the email may not even get to their email client.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Jul 3, 2004
  14. mcp6453

    William Park Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote:
    > The office supply stores and many others send HTML email. How is it
    > done? How can I create a web page and then send it as an HTML message
    > using Outlook or Outlook Express? The only way I can think of is to put
    > the web page on the net and then click on "Send Page by Email" in
    > Internet Explorer. There must be a better way.

    Format is as follows:
    From: ...
    To: ...
    Subject: ...
    Date: ...

    --
    William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <>
    Q: What do you use to remove bugs on your Windows? A: Windex.
    William Park, Jul 4, 2004
  15. mcp6453

    rf Guest

    "Jeff Thies" <> wrote in message
    > > An unsolicited email that contains HTML is *immediately* deleted.

    > What about bills?

    You snipped too much:
    >> unless I know the sender personally and am expecting
    >> them to send me HTML email, which I constantly remind them that I do not
    >> like.

    > Often you don't where these are going to come from when
    > you sign up. Usually these are multipart., with the html and a plain text.

    I never pay unsolicited bills. Do you? If so then my invioce is in the mail
    :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 4, 2004
  16. mcp6453 wrote:

    > brucie wrote:
    >
    >>in post: <news:cc5bgi$k1a$>
    >>Karl Groves <> said:
    >>

    >>>One time mailing usually = spam

    >>true
    >>

    >>>Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the e-mail for
    >>>those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
    >>>Like so
    >>><!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML email.
    >>>Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of this
    >>>newsletter -->

    >>which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
    >>bit pointless.

    > Well, it's not spam. Anyway, we have decided to include a link in the
    > email that goes to a web page with a formmail/sendmail/whatever script.
    > Now I need to learn how to set up such a script on an Apache server.
    > Suggestions for simple, easy to learn, easy to install scripts
    > appreciated.

    If you use the Java Mail API: http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/ you
    can use a class I knocked together which encapsulates a web page in an
    HTML email. It implenents the javax.mail.DataSource interface. It should
    be easy to use this to send an email using the Java Mail API with this
    class.

    It wraps all linked resources up into seperate MIME "parts", and changes
    URL references to them to the "cid:" protocol to link to the content id
    of the "part". This results in a big file if you have a lot of images,
    but it ensures everything is wrapped up and the email client does not
    have to access the internet (it may not have access).

    http://geocities.com/exguardianreader/URLDataSource.zip

    We use it to email simplified versions of pages on demand. There are
    "cut down" versions of certain pages which users might want to email.
    These are generally just coded in pure HTML with no images. These are
    sent very quickly using this class.

    Nige
    ExGuardianReader, Jul 4, 2004
  17. William Park wrote:

    > Format is as follows:
    > From: ...
    > To: ...
    > Subject: ...
    > Date: ...

    Don't forget:

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 4, 2004
  18. mcp6453

    PeterMcC Guest

    OT [was Re: HTML Email]

    ExGuardianReader wrote in
    <cc8eih$1r$>

    What was the final straw?

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Jul 4, 2004
  19. Re: OT [was Re: HTML Email]

    PeterMcC wrote:

    > ExGuardianReader wrote in
    > <cc8eih$1r$>
    >

    > What was the final straw?

    IR35. Not strictly the Graun's fault, but enough of a shove on my left
    hand side (where I keep my wallet).
    ExGuardianReader, Jul 4, 2004
  20. mcp6453

    William Park Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    > William Park wrote:
    >
    > > Format is as follows:
    > > From: ...
    > > To: ...
    > > Subject: ...
    > > Date: ...

    > Don't forget:

    It's not needed here. It would be more relevant for "multipart" and
    "boundary" stuffs.

    William Park, Jul 4, 2004