HTML Email

mcp6453

The office supply stores and many others send HTML email. How is it
done? How can I create a web page and then send it as an HTML message
using Outlook or Outlook Express? The only way I can think of is to put
the web page on the net and then click on "Send Page by Email" in
Internet Explorer. There must be a better way.

Els

mcp6453 said:
The office supply stores and many others send HTML email.
How is it done? How can I create a web page and then send
it as an HTML message using Outlook or Outlook Express? The
only way I can think of is to put the web page on the net
and then click on "Send Page by Email" in Internet
Explorer. There must be a better way.

In OE:
Open a new email, make sure it's in Rich Text mode, then click
source at the bottom of the window (3 tabs there), and paste
your code in there. (Take out the code which is there already).

mcp6453

Els said:
In OE:
Open a new email, make sure it's in Rich Text mode, then click
source at the bottom of the window (3 tabs there), and paste
your code in there. (Take out the code which is there already).

Wow! That's simple enough. Thanks for the quick answer.

Blinky the Shark

mcp6453 said:
The office supply stores and many others send HTML email. How is it
done? How can I create a web page and then send it as an HTML message

And lots of people filter out HTML mail. Your call.

Psyonicdreams

mcp6453 said:
Wow! That's simple enough. Thanks for the quick answer.

Just make sure you remotely link the images etc as:

A. You don't want to make the email huge
B. If you want to change offers etc then just change the graphics
and the next time they look at the email the graphics would
change.
C. If you forget to link them to a remote source then all the
images will be missing which will look very unprofessional!

Hope that helps

Karl Groves

mcp6453 said:
I know, but this is a one time mailing to a closed list of about 1000
people.

One time mailing usually = spam

Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the e-mail for
those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
Like so
<!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML email.
Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of this
newsletter -->

-Karl

brucie

in post: <
Karl Groves said:
One time mailing usually = spam
true

Anyway, offer a redundant link inside a comment at the top of the e-mail for
those who've disabled HTML e-mail or whose client doesn't support it.
Like so
<!-- If you are seeing this, your mail client does not accept HTML email.
Please go to http://www.example.com/foo.html for an online version of this
newsletter -->

which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
bit pointless.

Karl Groves

brucie said:
in post: <

which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
bit pointless.

Actually, it worked just fine on my mail client, Goldmine which, upon
recieving HTML email, turned it into plain text (er, raw HTML)
However, I do not know how the e-mail was handled in other clients. Anyone
have any info on that?

-Karl

mcp6453

brucie said:
in post: <

which doesn't work for people who only accept plain text email so its a
bit pointless.

Well, it's not spam. Anyway, we have decided to include a link in the
email that goes to a web page with a formmail/sendmail/whatever script.
Now I need to learn how to set up such a script on an Apache server.
Suggestions for simple, easy to learn, easy to install scripts
appreciated.

rf

Karl Groves said:
e-mail

Actually, it worked just fine on my mail client, Goldmine which, upon
recieving HTML email, turned it into plain text (er, raw HTML)

And how friendly is that?
However, I do not know how the e-mail was handled in other clients. Anyone
have any info on that?

Both of my email clients make an HTML email into an attachment, which I
immediately delete, unless I know the sender personally and am expecting
them to send me HTML email, which I constantly remind them that I do not
like.

An unsolicited email that contains HTML is *immediately* deleted.

Jeff Thies

An unsolicited email that contains HTML is *immediately* deleted.

What about bills? Often you don't where these are going to come from when
you sign up. Usually these are multipart., with the html and a plain text.

The commonly used SPAM Assasin does a good job on cleaning up html only
spams (while letting through the bills), pretty bad with plain text.

Jeff

brucie

in post: <
Actually, it worked just fine on my mail client, Goldmine

so it accepts email other than plain text
which, upon recieving HTML email, turned it into plain text (er, raw
HTML)

i'll rephrase what i said before. your <!-- html version --> thingy
above doesn't work for people who only accept email with a text/plain
content type.
However, I do not know how the e-mail was handled in other clients. Anyone
have any info on that?

it depends on each persons preferences regardless of what email client
they're using. the email may not even get to their email client.

William Park

mcp6453 said:
The office supply stores and many others send HTML email. How is it
done? How can I create a web page and then send it as an HTML message
using Outlook or Outlook Express? The only way I can think of is to put
the web page on the net and then click on "Send Page by Email" in
Internet Explorer. There must be a better way.

Format is as follows:
From: ...
To: ...
Subject: ...
Date: ...

rf

Jeff Thies said:
What about bills?

You snipped too much:
Often you don't where these are going to come from when
you sign up. Usually these are multipart., with the html and a plain text.

I never pay unsolicited bills. Do you? If so then my invioce is in the mail
:)

ExGuardianReader

mcp6453 said:
Well, it's not spam. Anyway, we have decided to include a link in the
email that goes to a web page with a formmail/sendmail/whatever script.
Now I need to learn how to set up such a script on an Apache server.
Suggestions for simple, easy to learn, easy to install scripts
appreciated.

If you use the Java Mail API: http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/ you
can use a class I knocked together which encapsulates a web page in an
HTML email. It implenents the javax.mail.DataSource interface. It should
be easy to use this to send an email using the Java Mail API with this
class.

It wraps all linked resources up into seperate MIME "parts", and changes
URL references to them to the "cid:" protocol to link to the content id
of the "part". This results in a big file if you have a lot of images,
but it ensures everything is wrapped up and the email client does not
have to access the internet (it may not have access).

http://geocities.com/exguardianreader/URLDataSource.zip

We use it to email simplified versions of pages on demand. There are
"cut down" versions of certain pages which users might want to email.
These are generally just coded in pure HTML with no images. These are
sent very quickly using this class.

Nige

Toby A Inkster

Format is as follows: