HTML Email

Toby A Inkster

William said:
It's not needed here. It would be more relevant for "multipart" and
"boundary" stuffs.

The MIME-Version header is *required* in all MIME messages. (All non-MIME
messages must be assumed to be text/plain;charset=us-ascii.)

From http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1521.html:
| Messages composed in accordance with this document MUST include such
| a header field, with the following verbatim text:

William Park

Toby A Inkster said:
The MIME-Version header is *required* in all MIME messages. (All non-MIME
messages must be assumed to be text/plain;charset=us-ascii.)

This would be if Content-Type is missing. When MIME-Version is missing,
you may assume US-ASCII text, but Content-Type is present to indicate
sender's intention.

Ref:
rfc2045 -- section 4 (MIME-Version) and 5 (Content-Type).

Toby A Inkster

William said:
This would be if Content-Type is missing. When MIME-Version is missing,
you may assume US-ASCII text, but Content-Type is present to indicate
sender's intention.

Ref:
rfc2045 -- section 4 (MIME-Version) and 5 (Content-Type).

From your own reference:
| Messages composed in accordance with this document MUST include such
| a header field, with the following verbatim text:

and:
| Note that the MIME-Version header field is required at the top level
| of a message.

The behaviour of the "Content-Type" header in messages is only defined in
the MIME RFCs. The MIME RFCs mandate the use of the "MIME-Version" header.
Thus the behaviour of the "Content-Type" header is undefined when no
"MIME-Version" header is present.