HTML Email.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alex, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi,

    My booking system sends a HTML formated email as a recipt to the client
    on completion of their booking. All is working well however it has been
    pointed out to me that not all people's email clients will display the
    reciept as HTML, if for instance the person has chosen to view email's as
    plain text only, then the email will render as a unpleasent text. It is
    crucial that the person visible see the information in the reciept presented
    nicely, regardless of if there email client has been configured to show
    email as HTML or plin text.

    I have done a bit of research and found that I ca show either HTML of email
    by altering a setting in the message headers.
    My question is can I ammend the message headers directly through vb.net (or
    any other dot net language) or will I have to use a third party component
    for this, if so has anybody got any recomendations.

    cheers

    martin.
    Alex, Nov 6, 2003

  2. System.Web.Mail.MailMessage exposes the Headers property, which will return
    an IDictionary object that you can use to modify the headers.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer

    Chris Jackson, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for that advice.

    However I am a little perplexed by this property.
    The documentation says

    Specifies the custom headers that are transmitted with the e-mail message.

    but the definitions says

    [Visual Basic]
    Public ReadOnly Property Headers As IDictionary

    so what I am wondering is how exactly I set the headers of a attributes of a
    read only property.

    I can't seem to find any good examples of this, do you know of any or can
    you point me in the right direction.

    cheers

    Alex.

    Alex, Nov 10, 2003