    a server elsewhere if I need them.

    Sounds too easy.

    Tim ~W

    Tim W, Oct 12, 2012

  2. Tim W

    Idle Guest

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:44:06 +0100, Tim W wrote:

    > I want to compose an email all html.
    >
    > If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
    > where <html> starts after the email stuff. Can I paste any valid html4
    > in there, with a css in the <head> ? Images are presumably referenced on
    > a server elsewhere if I need them.
    >
    > Sounds too easy.
    >
    > Tim ~W

    Far as I'm aware, inline css is the way to go.
    http://litmus.com/blog/validating-html-for-email

    --
    idle
    None of us is as good as all of us.

    Idle, Oct 12, 2012

  3. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <k59rs6$7n1$>,
    Tim W <> wrote:

    > I want to compose an email all html.

    Here's a neat way to do it, it's sort of like ju jitsu, you do
    something that seems so simple but in an instant it is not what it
    seems and something else more complicated. You send a simple plain
    text email with a link to a webpage where you have prepared a nice
    page for your recipients. The recipients then just click to see the
    page and Bob is not only your uncle but theirs too.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 12, 2012
  4. Tim W

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 10/12/2012 3:44 PM, Tim W wrote:
    > I want to compose an email all html.
    >
    > If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
    > where <html> starts after the email stuff. Can I paste any valid html4
    > in there, with a css in the <head> ? Images are presumably referenced on
    > a server elsewhere if I need them.

    Firstly, press and hold shift as you click on Write (or Reply) in order
    to set it to html.
    You will now be able to compose using the Formatting Bar and view it
    live WYSIWYG.
    The problem is that you cannot access the head section in order to place
    your stylesheet there.
    If the stylesheet is your only concern, the easiest is to place the
    stylesheet in the body of your mail although it is not conforming to do
    so - however all mail readers capable of reading html will accept it and
    display as expected.
    To be conforming, be able to enter other items as well as a stylesheet
    in the head section and access the head source (as well as body) and
    insert a stylesheet, download the "Edit HTML" extension which is
    localized in:
    Italian
    english
    slovak
    german
    spanish

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Oct 13, 2012
  5. Tim W

    Gus Richter Guest

    Gus Richter, Oct 13, 2012
  6. Tim W

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 10/12/2012 7:35 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
    > On 10/12/2012 7:33 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
    >> download the "Edit HTML" extension

    > Big oops - forgot the URL which is:
    >
    > http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/edithtml-en.html

    In case you need to know how to install an extension in TB.

    The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
    right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
    using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
    the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will begin.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Oct 13, 2012
  7. Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 13, 2012
  8. Tim W

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 10/13/2012 1:29 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2012-10-12 22:44, Tim W wrote:
    >
    >> If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
    >> where <html> starts after the email stuff.

    > What? How? I know how to view HTML source when *reading* a message, but
    > how do you do that when *composing*? The documentation
    > https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts?s=view html&as=s#w_writing-messages
    >
    > does not seem to contain anything for this.

    The "Edit HTML" extension/Add-on allows you to see the WYSIWYG while
    you compose in one pane and as you see the source in another pane.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Oct 13, 2012
  9. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 13/10/2012 01:22, Gus Richter wrote:
    > On 10/12/2012 7:35 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
    >> On 10/12/2012 7:33 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
    >>> download the "Edit HTML" extension

    >> Big oops - forgot the URL which is:
    >>
    >> http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/edithtml-en.html

    > In case you need to know how to install an extension in TB.
    >
    > The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
    > right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
    > using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
    > the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will
    > begin.

    thanks Gus, that's really useful

    Tim W

    Tim W, Oct 13, 2012
  10. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 13/10/2012 06:29, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2012-10-12 22:44, Tim W wrote:
    >
    >> If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
    >> where <html> starts after the email stuff.

    > What? How? I know how to view HTML source when *reading* a message, but
    > how do you do that when *composing*? The documentation
    > https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts?s=view html&as=s#w_writing-messages
    >
    > does not seem to contain anything for this.

    I finally found it again.
    If I have a messages saved to 'Drafts', I select it and in the Preview
    Pane, in the grey header area, on the Right hand side I have a 'Other
    Actions' Drop-down, and in there is 'View Source'

    I haven't installed gus's Add-on yet.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Oct 13, 2012
  11. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 12/10/2012 23:07, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <k59rs6$7n1$>,
    > Tim W <> wrote:
    >
    >> I want to compose an email all html.

    > Here's a neat way to do it, it's sort of like ju jitsu, you do
    > something that seems so simple but in an instant it is not what it
    > seems and something else more complicated. You send a simple plain
    > text email with a link to a webpage where you have prepared a nice
    > page for your recipients. The recipients then just click to see the
    > page and Bob is not only your uncle but theirs too.

    Well yes, except that:

    1 I want this to be a personal message to them, not an invitation to
    look at a public notice

    2 When your hotmail account gets hacked everyone in your contacts lists
    will get a simple plain text email with a link to a webpage which in an
    instant is not what it seems but redirects to malicious scripts and the
    like. The cautious will not click.

    There used to be a browser command to 'send this page by email' Probably
    still is.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Oct 13, 2012
  12. Gus Richter wrote:
    > On 10/12/2012 7:35 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
    >> On 10/12/2012 7:33 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
    >>> download the "Edit HTML" extension

    >> Big oops - forgot the URL which is:
    >>
    >> http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/edithtml-en.html

    > In case you need to know how to install an extension in TB.
    >
    > The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
    > right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
    > using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
    > the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will
    > begin.

    You can also simply drag and drop the XPI file into the Thunderbird app
    window with the same result.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 13, 2012
  13. 2012-10-13 12:03, Tim W wrote:

    > If I have a messages saved to 'Drafts', I select it and in the Preview
    > Pane, in the grey header area, on the Right hand side I have a 'Other
    > Actions' Drop-down, and in there is 'View Source'

    Thanks. Sounds sufficient for me, given the frequency of my writing HTML
    formatted e-mail (less than once a year).

    > I haven't installed gus's Add-on yet.

    The "Edit HTML" appears to be outdated. In Thunderbird, it can be found
    but with a statement that it is not available for Thunderbird 16.0.1.
    And there are user comments like the following:

    "It sounds like it once was a good extension [...] However, this has not
    been updated since 2007."

    But information about "Edit HTML" also mentions the "Stationery" add-on,
    which has a somewhat confusing description (probably because it has some
    extra features too), but it seems to be very simple. It changes e-mail
    message composition window so that it has two tabs, normal (wysiwyg) and
    HTML.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 13, 2012
  14. Tim W

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 10/13/2012 12:08 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > The "Edit HTML" appears to be outdated. In Thunderbird, it can be found
    > but with a statement that it is not available for Thunderbird 16.0.1.
    > And there are user comments like the following:

    Certainly an odd statement. I have it installed since way back, worked
    in 16.0 and also now after updating to 16.0.1 .

    > "It sounds like it once was a good extension [...] However, this has not
    > been updated since 2007."

    In my opinion it works great as is and needs no updating. Not like some
    which have developers playing around seemingly on a whim with UI, etc.
    The author is/was a prolific extension author and was/is very receptive
    to requests for bugs, etc. which were responded to in short order.

    > But information about "Edit HTML" also mentions the "Stationery" add-on,
    > which has a somewhat confusing description (probably because it has some
    > extra features too), but it seems to be very simple. It changes e-mail
    > message composition window so that it has two tabs, normal (wysiwyg) and
    > HTML.

    I recall "Stationery" only in that the author of this add-on interjected
    at times during discussions re. EditHTML with requests to try his. I'm
    certain that "Stationery" is a fine add-on, however we stayed with
    EditHTML since it did what we wanted it to do.

    I'm very suspicious of any statements/comments from Mozilla people since
    the majority are contra-HTML-mail. Most know nothing about HTML Mail and
    couldn't care less. A group of us advised users interested in a group
    netscape.test.multimedia which changed to mozilla.test.multimedia but
    those contra-HTML forces destroyed the group and is now mostly dead. It
    did not surprise me when Mozilla again pushed TB aside. It does not
    surprise me that HTML is totally ignored but that social messaging is
    embraced. The instruction for toggle of using shift+write etc. to put TB
    in HTML mode is hard to find. I tried unsuccessfully to find a way to
    set it to HTML in the Menu Bar. Seems to be a well kept secret and is
    intended to remain so.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Oct 13, 2012
  15. Tim W

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 10/13/2012 9:48 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
    >> right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
    >> using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
    >> the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will
    >> begin.
    >>

    > You can also simply drag and drop the XPI file into the Thunderbird app
    > window with the same result.

    Thanks for that.
    By app window, which do you mean exactly?
    The initial one that comes up?
    The add-ons manager?

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Oct 13, 2012
  16. Gus Richter wrote:
    > On 10/13/2012 9:48 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>> The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
    >>> right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
    >>> using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
    >>> the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will
    >>> begin.
    >>>

    >> You can also simply drag and drop the XPI file into the Thunderbird app
    >> window with the same result.

    > Thanks for that.
    > By app window, which do you mean exactly?
    > The initial one that comes up?
    > The add-ons manager?

    Either if I recall. IF you do it into the app window the add-ons manager
    will auto start. I use SeaMonkey mostly.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 13, 2012
  17. Tim W

    Hot-Text Guest

    "Tim W" <> wrote in message news:k59rs6$7n1$...
    > I want to compose an email all html.
    >
    > If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
    > where <html> starts after the email stuff. Can I paste any valid html4
    > in there, with a css in the <head> ? Images are presumably referenced on
    > a server elsewhere if I need them.
    >
    > Sounds too easy.
    >
    > Tim ~W

    And we Read in TEXT mode only;
    Now when writing in HTML,
    All put a link to a online Page,
    to your Email letters......
    so we who Read in TEXT mode,
    can click it and go to a HTML Page,
    and see your work..........

    Hot-Text, Oct 15, 2012
  18. Tim W

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 10/15/2012 6:04 PM, Hot-Text wrote:
    > And we Read in TEXT mode only;
    > Now when writing in HTML,
    > All put a link to a online Page,
    > to your Email letters......
    > so we who Read in TEXT mode,
    > can click it and go to a HTML Page,
    > and see your work..........

    Are you royalty, since you refer to yourself as "we"?
    I guess that when you use the "All", you probably meant "y'all", right
    Billy-Bob?

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Oct 16, 2012
  19. Tim W

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2012
    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    Middle Sweden
    Do you want to place it like this?

    Regards - patriic48

    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    , Oct 17, 2012
  20. Tim W

    Hot-Text Guest

    "Gus Richter" <> wrote in message news:k5i73g$aqq$...
    > On 10/15/2012 6:04 PM, Hot-Text wrote:
    >> And we Read in TEXT mode only;
    >> Now when writing in HTML,
    >> All put a link to a online Page,
    >> to your Email letters......
    >> so we who Read in TEXT mode,
    >> can click it and go to a HTML Page,
    >> and see your work..........

    > Are you royalty, since you refer to yourself as "we"?
    > I guess that when you use the "All", you probably meant "y'all", right
    > Billy-Bob?

    Mr. Gus

    It's Billy Ray,
    And WE are the WISE One's,