html email

Tim W

I want to compose an email all html.

If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
where <html> starts after the email stuff. Can I paste any valid html4
in there, with a css in the <head> ? Images are presumably referenced on
a server elsewhere if I need them.

Sounds too easy.

Tim ~W

Idle

I want to compose an email all html.

If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
where <html> starts after the email stuff. Can I paste any valid html4
in there, with a css in the <head> ? Images are presumably referenced on
a server elsewhere if I need them.

Sounds too easy.

Tim ~W

Far as I'm aware, inline css is the way to go.
http://litmus.com/blog/validating-html-for-email

dorayme

Tim W said:
I want to compose an email all html.

Here's a neat way to do it, it's sort of like ju jitsu, you do
something that seems so simple but in an instant it is not what it
seems and something else more complicated. You send a simple plain
text email with a link to a webpage where you have prepared a nice
page for your recipients. The recipients then just click to see the
page and Bob is not only your uncle but theirs too.

Gus Richter

I want to compose an email all html.

If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
where <html> starts after the email stuff. Can I paste any valid html4
in there, with a css in the <head> ? Images are presumably referenced on
a server elsewhere if I need them.

Firstly, press and hold shift as you click on Write (or Reply) in order
to set it to html.
You will now be able to compose using the Formatting Bar and view it
live WYSIWYG.
The problem is that you cannot access the head section in order to place
your stylesheet there.
If the stylesheet is your only concern, the easiest is to place the
stylesheet in the body of your mail although it is not conforming to do
so - however all mail readers capable of reading html will accept it and
display as expected.
To be conforming, be able to enter other items as well as a stylesheet
in the head section and access the head source (as well as body) and
insert a stylesheet, download the "Edit HTML" extension which is
localized in:
Italian
english
slovak
german
spanish

Gus Richter

In case you need to know how to install an extension in TB.

The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will begin.

Tim W

In case you need to know how to install an extension in TB.

The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will
begin.
thanks Gus, that's really useful

Tim W

Tim W

What? How? I know how to view HTML source when *reading* a message, but
how do you do that when *composing*? The documentation
https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts?s=view+html&as=s#w_writing-messages

does not seem to contain anything for this.

I finally found it again.
If I have a messages saved to 'Drafts', I select it and in the Preview
Pane, in the grey header area, on the Right hand side I have a 'Other
Actions' Drop-down, and in there is 'View Source'

I haven't installed gus's Add-on yet.

Tim W

Tim W

Here's a neat way to do it, it's sort of like ju jitsu, you do
something that seems so simple but in an instant it is not what it
seems and something else more complicated. You send a simple plain
text email with a link to a webpage where you have prepared a nice
page for your recipients. The recipients then just click to see the
page and Bob is not only your uncle but theirs too.

Well yes, except that:

1 I want this to be a personal message to them, not an invitation to
look at a public notice

2 When your hotmail account gets hacked everyone in your contacts lists
will get a simple plain text email with a link to a webpage which in an
instant is not what it seems but redirects to malicious scripts and the
like. The cautious will not click.

There used to be a browser command to 'send this page by email' Probably
still is.

Tim W

Jonathan N. Little

Gus said:
In case you need to know how to install an extension in TB.

The xpi file is the extension's installer. In Thunderbird, you have to
right click on the link and save the file to your hard drive. Then,
using the Extensions Manager, click on the Install button, and browse to
the location of the saved file. click Open and the installation will
begin.

You can also simply drag and drop the XPI file into the Thunderbird app
window with the same result.

Jukka K. Korpela

If I have a messages saved to 'Drafts', I select it and in the Preview
Pane, in the grey header area, on the Right hand side I have a 'Other
Actions' Drop-down, and in there is 'View Source'

Thanks. Sounds sufficient for me, given the frequency of my writing HTML
formatted e-mail (less than once a year).
I haven't installed gus's Add-on yet.

The "Edit HTML" appears to be outdated. In Thunderbird, it can be found
but with a statement that it is not available for Thunderbird 16.0.1.
And there are user comments like the following:

"It sounds like it once was a good extension [...] However, this has not
been updated since 2007."

But information about "Edit HTML" also mentions the "Stationery" add-on,
which has a somewhat confusing description (probably because it has some
extra features too), but it seems to be very simple. It changes e-mail
message composition window so that it has two tabs, normal (wysiwyg) and
HTML.

Gus Richter

The "Edit HTML" appears to be outdated. In Thunderbird, it can be found
but with a statement that it is not available for Thunderbird 16.0.1.
And there are user comments like the following:

Certainly an odd statement. I have it installed since way back, worked
in 16.0 and also now after updating to 16.0.1 .
"It sounds like it once was a good extension [...] However, this has not
been updated since 2007."

In my opinion it works great as is and needs no updating. Not like some
which have developers playing around seemingly on a whim with UI, etc.
The author is/was a prolific extension author and was/is very receptive
to requests for bugs, etc. which were responded to in short order.
But information about "Edit HTML" also mentions the "Stationery" add-on,
which has a somewhat confusing description (probably because it has some
extra features too), but it seems to be very simple. It changes e-mail
message composition window so that it has two tabs, normal (wysiwyg) and
HTML.

I recall "Stationery" only in that the author of this add-on interjected
at times during discussions re. EditHTML with requests to try his. I'm
certain that "Stationery" is a fine add-on, however we stayed with
EditHTML since it did what we wanted it to do.

I'm very suspicious of any statements/comments from Mozilla people since
the majority are contra-HTML-mail. Most know nothing about HTML Mail and
couldn't care less. A group of us advised users interested in a group
netscape.test.multimedia which changed to mozilla.test.multimedia but
those contra-HTML forces destroyed the group and is now mostly dead. It
did not surprise me when Mozilla again pushed TB aside. It does not
surprise me that HTML is totally ignored but that social messaging is
embraced. The instruction for toggle of using shift+write etc. to put TB
in HTML mode is hard to find. I tried unsuccessfully to find a way to
set it to HTML in the Menu Bar. Seems to be a well kept secret and is
intended to remain so.

Gus Richter

You can also simply drag and drop the XPI file into the Thunderbird app
window with the same result.

Thanks for that.
By app window, which do you mean exactly?
The initial one that comes up?
The add-ons manager?

Jonathan N. Little

Gus said:
Thanks for that.
By app window, which do you mean exactly?
The initial one that comes up?
The add-ons manager?

Either if I recall. IF you do it into the app window the add-ons manager
will auto start. I use SeaMonkey mostly.

Hot-Text

Tim W said:
I want to compose an email all html.

If i am composing an email in thunderbird I can VIEW SOURCE and I see
where <html> starts after the email stuff. Can I paste any valid html4
in there, with a css in the <head> ? Images are presumably referenced on
a server elsewhere if I need them.

Sounds too easy.

Tim ~W

And we Read in TEXT mode only;
Now when writing in HTML,
All put a link to a online Page,
to your Email letters......
so we who Read in TEXT mode,
can click it and go to a HTML Page,
and see your work..........

Gus Richter

And we Read in TEXT mode only;
Now when writing in HTML,
All put a link to a online Page,
to your Email letters......
so we who Read in TEXT mode,
can click it and go to a HTML Page,
and see your work..........

Are you royalty, since you refer to yourself as "we"?
I guess that when you use the "All", you probably meant "y'all", right
Billy-Bob?

Hot-Text

Gus Richter said:
Are you royalty, since you refer to yourself as "we"?
I guess that when you use the "All", you probably meant "y'all", right
Billy-Bob?

Mr. Gus

It's Billy Ray,
And WE are the WISE One's,