HTML emails

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Before I forget, every now and then someone asks here about how
    to do this and that in html and css in emails.

    There is one email that I get that always looks rather smart and
    fine in my email program as it happens. But there is simple
    recognition by the email-designer about the lottery on these
    things with a prefacing of the email with:

    "Does this email look weird to you? Try viewing it here instead:
    http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/200703.html"

    Which is a pretty neat way of doing things if you want to get
    folks to see your nicely laid out stuff. I mean send by html by
    all means but preface with this sort of thing. Nice tone, conveys
    the message well.

    This is not an endorsement of the code on the site or the site,
    it is a reminder of a reasonable html email practice.
    Fundamentalists and purists will say to leave out the html email
    bit and go straight to plain text and the link. But this is not
    for them. This practice is for the fallen creatures who are
    determined to send html formatted emails.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 12, 2007

  2. dorayme wrote:

    > This is not an endorsement of the code on the site or the site,
    > it is a reminder of a reasonable html email practice.
    > Fundamentalists and purists will say to leave out the html email
    > bit and go straight to plain text and the link. But this is not
    > for them. This practice is for the fallen creatures who are
    > determined to send html formatted emails.

    I confess that I send HTML formatted emails for my business. It is the
    most effective way to communicate when negotiating or reviewing a
    commission. When your business is *visual* is just works to have images
    with associated notes or messages rather than tack all images at the end
    and have to say in "In image #1 is ..."

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2007

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <c3ed2$45f6196b$40cba785$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > This is not an endorsement of the code on the site or the site,
    > > it is a reminder of a reasonable html email practice.
    > > Fundamentalists and purists will say to leave out the html email
    > > bit and go straight to plain text and the link. But this is not
    > > for them. This practice is for the fallen creatures who are
    > > determined to send html formatted emails.
    > >

    > I confess that I send HTML formatted emails for my business. It is the
    > most effective way to communicate when negotiating or reviewing a
    > commission. When your business is *visual* is just works to have images
    > with associated notes or messages rather than tack all images at the end
    > and have to say in "In image #1 is ..."

    And, the subject of my post, do you provide a fallback link as
    well?

    I stick like glue mostly to plain but I like a nice ones when
    they come... so if yours are good looking as I am sure they are,
    good for you.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 13, 2007
  4. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <c3ed2$45f6196b$40cba785$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is not an endorsement of the code on the site or the site,
    >>> it is a reminder of a reasonable html email practice.
    >>> Fundamentalists and purists will say to leave out the html email
    >>> bit and go straight to plain text and the link. But this is not
    >>> for them. This practice is for the fallen creatures who are
    >>> determined to send html formatted emails.
    >>>

    >> I confess that I send HTML formatted emails for my business. It is the
    >> most effective way to communicate when negotiating or reviewing a
    >> commission. When your business is *visual* is just works to have images
    >> with associated notes or messages rather than tack all images at the end
    >> and have to say in "In image #1 is ..."

    > And, the subject of my post, do you provide a fallback link as
    > well?

    No but a sent in multi-format with a text only fallback. If they have
    trouble I send images by attachment. Most of the time I don't have to.
    Beats dealing with old AOLers that were also restricted to a single
    attachment! Then if your had more than one image your had to zip them up
    first!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2007
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <87b8b$45f629cf$40cba785$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > > And, the subject of my post, do you provide a fallback link as
    > > well?

    > No but a sent in multi-format with a text only fallback. If they have
    > trouble I send images by attachment. Most of the time I don't have to.
    > Beats dealing with old AOLers that were also restricted to a single
    > attachment! Then if your had more than one image your had to zip them up
    > first!

    So now that you have seen what the font crowd do, would you
    consider such a strategy?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 13, 2007
  6. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <87b8b$45f629cf$40cba785$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> And, the subject of my post, do you provide a fallback link as
    >>> well?

    >> No but a sent in multi-format with a text only fallback. If they have
    >> trouble I send images by attachment. Most of the time I don't have to.
    >> Beats dealing with old AOLers that were also restricted to a single
    >> attachment! Then if your had more than one image your had to zip them up
    >> first!

    > So now that you have seen what the font crowd do, would you
    > consider such a strategy?

    If I was doing a mailing list type email, an announcement to many
    patrons, yes. Just a one-to-one for a simple approval email, no.

    Still on dialup (not by choice) Uploading a page just to support an
    email would be a PITA. Now I do do it when the 'review' requires
    graphics too large for a typical email. Then I build a temp page and
    send a link in an email. SMTP bloats binary data so it is never a good
    transport from large size binary content.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2007
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <a971e$45f63040$40cba785$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > >> No

    > > So now that you have seen what the font crowd do, would you
    > > consider such a strategy?
    > >

    > If I was doing a mailing list type email, an announcement to many
    > patrons, yes. Just a one-to-one for a simple approval email, no.
    >
    > Still on dialup (not by choice) Uploading a page just to support an
    > email would be a PITA.

    Yes, dialup is sometimes a pain. Still, one does not have to
    actually do much while it goes up. And one can do other things
    even on one's machine while it happens, that was my experience
    and strategy anyway...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 13, 2007
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
    <> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
    :

    > "Does this email look weird to you? Try viewing it here instead:
    > http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/200703.html"
    >
    > Which is a pretty neat way of doing things if you want to get
    > folks to see your nicely laid out stuff. I mean send by html by
    > all means but preface with this sort of thing. Nice tone, conveys
    > the message well.

    At work, I send both plain text and HTML (multipart) in our weekly
    newsletter. On the HTML version, I have a link to the current newsletter
    on the website. I also use something similar to Tinyurl to create the
    links for the text version so people don't have to worry about long URLs.
    Seems to be working okay, we have 10,000 subscribers.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 13, 2007