HTML emails

dorayme

Before I forget, every now and then someone asks here about how
to do this and that in html and css in emails.

There is one email that I get that always looks rather smart and
fine in my email program as it happens. But there is simple
recognition by the email-designer about the lottery on these
things with a prefacing of the email with:

"Does this email look weird to you? Try viewing it here instead:
http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/200703.html"

Which is a pretty neat way of doing things if you want to get
folks to see your nicely laid out stuff. I mean send by html by
all means but preface with this sort of thing. Nice tone, conveys
the message well.

This is not an endorsement of the code on the site or the site,
it is a reminder of a reasonable html email practice.
Fundamentalists and purists will say to leave out the html email
bit and go straight to plain text and the link. But this is not
for them. This practice is for the fallen creatures who are
determined to send html formatted emails.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
This is not an endorsement of the code on the site or the site,
it is a reminder of a reasonable html email practice.
Fundamentalists and purists will say to leave out the html email
bit and go straight to plain text and the link. But this is not
for them. This practice is for the fallen creatures who are
determined to send html formatted emails.

I confess that I send HTML formatted emails for my business. It is the
most effective way to communicate when negotiating or reviewing a
commission. When your business is *visual* is just works to have images
with associated notes or messages rather than tack all images at the end
and have to say in "In image #1 is ..."

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
I confess that I send HTML formatted emails for my business. It is the
most effective way to communicate when negotiating or reviewing a
commission. When your business is *visual* is just works to have images
with associated notes or messages rather than tack all images at the end
and have to say in "In image #1 is ..."

And, the subject of my post, do you provide a fallback link as
well?

I stick like glue mostly to plain but I like a nice ones when
they come... so if yours are good looking as I am sure they are,
good for you.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
And, the subject of my post, do you provide a fallback link as
well?

No but a sent in multi-format with a text only fallback. If they have
trouble I send images by attachment. Most of the time I don't have to.
Beats dealing with old AOLers that were also restricted to a single
attachment! Then if your had more than one image your had to zip them up
first!
I stick like glue mostly to plain but I like a nice ones when
they come... so if yours are good looking as I am sure they are,
good for you.

dorayme

And, the subject of my post, do you provide a fallback link as
well?

No but a sent in multi-format with a text only fallback. If they have
trouble I send images by attachment. Most of the time I don't have to.
Beats dealing with old AOLers that were also restricted to a single
attachment! Then if your had more than one image your had to zip them up
first![/QUOTE]

So now that you have seen what the font crowd do, would you
consider such a strategy?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
No but a sent in multi-format with a text only fallback. If they have
trouble I send images by attachment. Most of the time I don't have to.
Beats dealing with old AOLers that were also restricted to a single
attachment! Then if your had more than one image your had to zip them up
first!

So now that you have seen what the font crowd do, would you
consider such a strategy?
[/QUOTE]

If I was doing a mailing list type email, an announcement to many
patrons, yes. Just a one-to-one for a simple approval email, no.

Still on dialup (not by choice) Uploading a page just to support an
email would be a PITA. Now I do do it when the 'review' requires
graphics too large for a typical email. Then I build a temp page and
send a link in an email. SMTP bloats binary data so it is never a good
transport from large size binary content.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
If I was doing a mailing list type email, an announcement to many
patrons, yes. Just a one-to-one for a simple approval email, no.

Still on dialup (not by choice) Uploading a page just to support an
email would be a PITA.

Yes, dialup is sometimes a pain. Still, one does not have to
actually do much while it goes up. And one can do other things
even on one's machine while it happens, that was my experience
and strategy anyway...

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
"Does this email look weird to you? Try viewing it here instead:
http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/200703.html"

Which is a pretty neat way of doing things if you want to get
folks to see your nicely laid out stuff. I mean send by html by
all means but preface with this sort of thing. Nice tone, conveys
the message well.

At work, I send both plain text and HTML (multipart) in our weekly
newsletter. On the HTML version, I have a link to the current newsletter
on the website. I also use something similar to Tinyurl to create the
links for the text version so people don't have to worry about long URLs.
Seems to be working okay, we have 10,000 subscribers.