HTML: extra free space in <table>

Ma³y Piotruœ

Hello,
(Sorry for my English first - it's not my native language.)
I am begginer in web technologies.
Could you help me please with a problem with HTML <TABLEs>. I am
changing WWW pages, one of them is:
http://www.omnikom.pl/wiadomosci.htm
Could you explain me please why on that page there's a free space
between search engine ("Szukaj") and left-side menu ("Oferta").
Thank you very much!
(MP)

David Dorward

Ma³y Piotruœ said:
Could you help me please with a problem with HTML <TABLEs>. I am
changing WWW pages, one of them is:
http://www.omnikom.pl/wiadomosci.htm
Could you explain me please why on that page there's a free space
between search engine ("Szukaj") and left-side menu ("Oferta").

That is how tables are laid out. When a cell that spans multiple rows has
enough data in it to cause it to be taller then the height of a series of
cells in the same column as each other which are in the rows which the
first cell spans, then the height of those other cells is adjusted so that
everything fits.

.... that's not a very good explanation.

The short version is: You are abusing tables for layout, that isn't what
they are designed for, have a read of:
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts