html file page break through browser.

chunji08

Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?

I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
viewed through any browsers.

Thanks a lot

CJ

Sid Ismail

:
: I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
: am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
: viewed through any browsers.

Insert a spacer.gif (width=1 height=100) at points of break?
spacer.gif is a transparent nothing.

Sid

dorayme

Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?

I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
viewed through any browsers.

At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
following line:

St Dog the Wet

dorayme said:
At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
following line:

This beginner tried not to laugh aloud, and spit hot chocolate on
my screen!!

chunji08

you mean something like this:

....page 1
... page 2
... page 3

I have just tried, it does not work ?

-CJ

dorayme

you mean something like this:

....page 1
... page 2
... page 3

I have just tried, it does not work ?

-CJ

What exactly do you want to do? If you are saying, "I have this
long doc, it has pics and text and things and it is simple to
make a printer know how to print it on separate pages but how do
you make the pages that would print on separate A4 sheets of
paper appear on separate pages of a website, the answer is that
you must put each page into a separate .html file with a link so
that the viewer can click to the next page. You cannot know what
size screen or resolution the viewer has so you cannot try to put
all in one file and hope the viewer's page down button will work
in the required quanta.

There, I have atoned for my previous flippancy.

Martin Jay

In message
dorayme said:
What exactly do you want to do? If you are saying, "I have this
long doc, it has pics and text and things and it is simple to
make a printer know how to print it on separate pages but how do
you make the pages that would print on separate A4 sheets of
paper appear on separate pages of a website, the answer is that
you must put each page into a separate .html file with a link so
that the viewer can click to the next page. You cannot know what
size screen or resolution the viewer has so you cannot try to put
all in one file and hope the viewer's page down button will work
in the required quanta.

There, I have atoned for my previous flippancy.

LOL! :)

Another option is to offer visitors a downloadable version in PDF
format, but that can be a pain unless it's a static document that
doesn't change (very often).

chunji08

Well, I was thinking about this way, but somehow, that does not apply
for this case. This html is going to be attached with an email and
send to a group of people. If it is created in a group of html files,
the link on the main page will be invalid.

thanks anyway for the help

-cj

Chaddy2222

Well, I was thinking about this way, but somehow, that does not apply
for this case. This html is going to be attached with an email and
send to a group of people. If it is created in a group of html files,
the link on the main page will be invalid.
A lot of E-mail apps block HTML among other things by default.
The best thing you could do would be to upload the files to your web
space and just send the clients a link with maybe a bit of info to go
with it.
thanks anyway for the help

NP.

dorayme

This html is going to be attached with an email

Now you tell us!

Anyway all this is just creating a problem for yourself, the
solution to which is to put the pages up on a server, that is to
simply make as many webpages as you feel defines a page, with
links as I said. There are many free available including your own
webspace from your isp and email in plain text a simple url. Your
target audience just click and see your pages in any browser.

It is the way to go but I feel in my bones that this is one of
those threads where nothing will quite make it. I have a lot of
dough riding on that this is the one that cracks it but I took
odds.

Jukka K. Korpela

dorayme said:
At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
following line:

Alternatively, use HTML 4.01, which is based on advanced "SGML" technology
with "OMITTAG YES" capability enabled, so that </html> is magically there
even if you don't put it there!

Toby Inkster

chunji08 said:
I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
viewed through any browsers.

I don't know exactly what you mean.

An HTML file is viewed as one long page -- it is only when printed onto
sheets of paper that it needs to be broken into pages. When printed, page
breaking is automatically decided by the browser, based on the content
of the page, and also on the size of the paper; but many browsers allow
you to use CSS to fine-tune it.

So I'm not sure what you mean by a page break when it's being viewed on
screen. If you want to divide your information into logically separate
pages, then put them in different HTML files and add links between them.
If you insist on using one file for all the pages, then you could separate
out the logical pages using something like <hr>.

Gernot Frisch

Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What
am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is
being
viewed through any browsers.

there's no html tag for forcing a page break when printing. Yes, it's
a very pitty that there is no such thing. No, there is _no_ excuse for
it.

You can however try:

which _might_ work on some browsers. IE e.g.

-Gernot

chunji08

Gernot said:
there's no html tag for forcing a page break when printing. Yes, it's
a very pitty that there is no such thing. No, there is _no_ excuse for
it.

You can however try:

I have tried, as your suggestiong on IE 6.0. But it does not work for
me. Following is the highlights of how I edit my html file. Any
comments ? Thanks again for the help !

"
<head>...</head>

"

Gernot Frisch

I have tried, as your suggestiong on IE 6.0. But it does not work
for
me. Following is the highlights of how I edit my html file. Any
comments ? Thanks again for the help !

"
<head>...</head>

PAge 1