    Thanks a lot

    CJ
    , Jun 8, 2006

  2. Sid Ismail Guest

    On 7 Jun 2006 16:24:46 -0700, wrote:

    : Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
    :
    : I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
    : am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
    : viewed through any browsers.

    Insert a spacer.gif (width=1 height=100) at points of break?
    spacer.gif is a transparent nothing.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Jun 8, 2006

  3. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
    >
    > I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
    > am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
    > viewed through any browsers.

    At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
    following line:

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 8, 2006
  4. dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
    >>
    >> I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
    >> am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
    >> viewed through any browsers.
    >>

    > At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
    > following line:

    This beginner tried not to laugh aloud, and spit hot chocolate on
    my screen!!
    St Dog the Wet, Jun 8, 2006

    you mean something like this:

    ....page 1
    ... page 2
    ... page 3

    I have just tried, it does not work ?

    -CJ

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
    > >
    > > I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
    > > am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
    > > viewed through any browsers.
    > >

    > At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
    > following line:

    > --
    > dorayme
    , Jun 8, 2006
  6. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    St Dog the Wet <> wrote:

    > This beginner tried not to laugh aloud, and spit hot chocolate on
    > my screen!!

    <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 8, 2006
  7. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > you mean something like this:

    > ....page 1
    > ... page 2
    > ... page 3
    >
    > I have just tried, it does not work ?
    >
    > -CJ
    >

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
    > > >
    > > > I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
    > > > am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
    > > > viewed through any browsers.
    > > >

    > > At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
    > > following line:

    > > --
    > > dorayme

    What exactly do you want to do? If you are saying, "I have this
    long doc, it has pics and text and things and it is simple to
    make a printer know how to print it on separate pages but how do
    you make the pages that would print on separate A4 sheets of
    paper appear on separate pages of a website, the answer is that
    you must put each page into a separate .html file with a link so
    that the viewer can click to the next page. You cannot know what
    size screen or resolution the viewer has so you cannot try to put
    all in one file and hope the viewer's page down button will work
    in the required quanta.

    There, I have atoned for my previous flippancy.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 8, 2006
  8. Martin Jay Guest

    In message
    <>, dorayme
    <> writes
    >What exactly do you want to do? If you are saying, "I have this
    >long doc, it has pics and text and things and it is simple to
    >make a printer know how to print it on separate pages but how do
    >you make the pages that would print on separate A4 sheets of
    >paper appear on separate pages of a website, the answer is that
    >you must put each page into a separate .html file with a link so
    >that the viewer can click to the next page. You cannot know what
    >size screen or resolution the viewer has so you cannot try to put
    >all in one file and hope the viewer's page down button will work
    >in the required quanta.
    >
    >There, I have atoned for my previous flippancy.

    LOL! :)

    Another option is to offer visitors a downloadable version in PDF
    format, but that can be a pain unless it's a static document that
    doesn't change (very often).
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
    Martin Jay, Jun 8, 2006

    Well, I was thinking about this way, but somehow, that does not apply
    for this case. This html is going to be attached with an email and
    send to a group of people. If it is created in a group of html files,
    the link on the main page will be invalid.

    thanks anyway for the help

    -cj

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > you mean something like this:

    > > ....page 1
    > > ... page 2
    > > ... page 3
    > >
    > > I have just tried, it does not work ?
    > >
    > > -CJ
    > >

    > > dorayme wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
    > > > following line:

    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > What exactly do you want to do? If you are saying, "I have this
    > long doc, it has pics and text and things and it is simple to
    > make a printer know how to print it on separate pages but how do
    > you make the pages that would print on separate A4 sheets of
    > paper appear on separate pages of a website, the answer is that
    > you must put each page into a separate .html file with a link so
    > that the viewer can click to the next page. You cannot know what
    > size screen or resolution the viewer has so you cannot try to put
    > all in one file and hope the viewer's page down button will work
    > in the required quanta.
    >
    > There, I have atoned for my previous flippancy.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme
    , Jun 8, 2006
  10. Chaddy2222 Guest

    wrote:
    > Well, I was thinking about this way, but somehow, that does not apply
    > for this case. This html is going to be attached with an email and
    > send to a group of people. If it is created in a group of html files,
    > the link on the main page will be invalid.

    A lot of E-mail apps block HTML among other things by default.
    The best thing you could do would be to upload the files to your web
    space and just send the clients a link with maybe a bit of info to go
    with it.

    > thanks anyway for the help

    NP.
    Chaddy2222, Jun 8, 2006
  11. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > This html is going to be attached with an email

    Now you tell us!

    Anyway all this is just creating a problem for yourself, the
    solution to which is to put the pages up on a server, that is to
    simply make as many webpages as you feel defines a page, with
    links as I said. There are many free available including your own
    webspace from your isp and email in plain text a simple url. Your
    target audience just click and see your pages in any browser.

    It is the way to go but I feel in my bones that this is one of
    those threads where nothing will quite make it. I have a lot of
    dough riding on that this is the one that cracks it but I took
    odds.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 8, 2006
  12. dorayme <> scripsit:

    > At the very end of your html markup for each page, put the
    > following line:

    Alternatively, use HTML 4.01, which is based on advanced "SGML" technology
    with "OMITTAG YES" capability enabled, so that </html> is magically there
    even if you don't put it there!

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 8, 2006
  13. Toby Inkster Guest

    chunji08 wrote:

    > I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What I
    > am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is being
    > viewed through any browsers.

    I don't know exactly what you mean.

    An HTML file is viewed as one long page -- it is only when printed onto
    sheets of paper that it needs to be broken into pages. When printed, page
    breaking is automatically decided by the browser, based on the content
    of the page, and also on the size of the paper; but many browsers allow
    you to use CSS to fine-tune it.

    So I'm not sure what you mean by a page break when it's being viewed on
    screen. If you want to divide your information into logically separate
    pages, then put them in different HTML files and add links between them.
    If you insist on using one file for all the pages, then you could separate
    out the logical pages using something like <hr>.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 8, 2006
  14. > Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?

    > I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What
    > am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is
    > being
    > viewed through any browsers.

    there's no html tag for forcing a page break when printing. Yes, it's
    a very pitty that there is no such thing. No, there is _no_ excuse for
    it.

    You can however try:

    which _might_ work on some browsers. IE e.g.

    -Gernot
    Gernot Frisch, Jun 8, 2006

    Gernot Frisch wrote:
    > > Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
    > >
    > > I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out. What
    > > am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is
    > > being
    > > viewed through any browsers.

    > there's no html tag for forcing a page break when printing. Yes, it's
    > a very pitty that there is no such thing. No, there is _no_ excuse for
    > it.
    >
    > You can however try:

    I have tried, as your suggestiong on IE 6.0. But it does not work for
    me. Following is the highlights of how I edit my html file. Any
    comments ? Thanks again for the help !

    "
    <head>...</head>

    "
    , Jun 9, 2006
  16. <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Gernot Frisch wrote:
    >> > Does someone know how to set a page break in html ?
    >> >
    >> > I know how to set the breaks when this file is being print out.
    >> > What
    >> > am looking for is how to set the page break when the html file is
    >> > being
    >> > viewed through any browsers.

    >> there's no html tag for forcing a page break when printing. Yes,
    >> it's
    >> a very pitty that there is no such thing. No, there is _no_ excuse
    >> for
    >> it.
    >>
    >> You can however try:

    > I have tried, as your suggestiong on IE 6.0. But it does not work
    > for
    > me. Following is the highlights of how I edit my html file. Any
    > comments ? Thanks again for the help !
    >
    > "
    > <head>...</head>

    PAge 1