HTML for Disabled People?

Whitecrest

Fine, next time you get a web design job, make sure to tell them you are
ignorant of and mean to the blind and other diasbled. Oh, and be sure to
mention you know nothing about carrying on reasonable personal interaction
and how you ignore any outside opinions.

No, I will tell them look at all the cool things I can do, an look at
all the business I can bring you. oh, except for the blind and
disabled, to which them will reply, "tell me more about flash and what
you can do...

Reality hurts sometimes.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Whitecrest said:
No, I will tell them look at all the cool things I can do, an look at
all the business I can bring you.

Please give us a couple links of the cool sites you created. Thanks.

Matthias

Whitecrest

say-no-to- said:
Please give us a couple links of the cool sites you created. Thanks.

You know, normally no one ever mentions the urls of the client sites we
actual work on. (Not sure why if we are that sure of our skills we
should not worry about someone trying to muscle in)

But since I am winding down, and about move the Media development
department (I will be producing TV commercials, Music Videos, recording
jingles, scoring industrial videos etc...), I will drop some names.

My company (not whitecrest, that is for fun) contracted with, and I
personal wrote HTML, Javascript and or Flash for the following this past
year:

MCI Wcom
Built them a Flash based pricing system for their business clients
and sales people. (I won the summit award for web based development from
them.)

Coke, Turner Broadcasting (which included Cartoon Network), and CNN
Sadly internal so the world did not see it. But it was a Flash
based live video system that allowed corporate meetings to be viewable
by everyone (PC, MAC, and some flavores of unix)

BellSouth
Most of the flash on their site. I did not do the graphic work,
only the Action script

Southern baptist convention
They use a tool I created dynamically creates live or on demand
streaming media (video or sound) and is synchronized with images and
Flash.

NAMB (north American missions board)
Same as above
NAACP
Same as above

PGA (Both the BellSouth classic, and the senior classic)
Built a Flash Score card so visitors can "watch" how the players
are doing. This years classic will be the last time I work on the web.
I am updating the Flash object so it adds come video highlights. I also
build a Flash based image viewer that allowed the media to view and use
official Classic.

LPGA (The Nancy Lopez Open)
Same as above, as well as a flash object that allowed Chick-fil-a
(the sponsors of the event) to update the text in the flash objects they
use on their site.

As well as several smaller mom and pop size companies in the greater
Atlanta Area.

Now how can I verify I did all this, I can't, and don't ask for pay
stubs. But, if you look back over the last year, you will see that I
mention the projects (not the companies) every now and them.

I will not ask you for a list, since (like me) you can not prove any of
it.

Kris

I believe HTML too is 100% 508 compliant.

good so we can use both. Excellent...[/QUOTE]

I mean to say that it does not necessarily depend on the technology, but
on it's use. Most of the HTML based websites we see today are build with
accessiblity in mind. Practically all applications of Flash on today's
web are inaccessible; that is a guess, but I am convinced that you
agree. Whether all need to be, is another matter. Of all those that are
not accessible, there surely is a very large number that should be
accessible, though.

Is accessibility remotely a topic of discussion among members of the
Flash-wielding community? I suspect it is not. And if that is true,
don't you agree it should be?

Kris

Kris said:
Most of the HTML based websites we see today are build with
accessiblity in mind.

Correction. I meant to say
"Most of the HTML based websites we see today are *not* build with
accessiblity in mind."
My apologies.

Whitecrest

I mean to say that it does not necessarily depend on the technology, but
on it's use....

Exactly, and you can choose to use Flash which is just as compliant as
html.
Most of the HTML based websites we see today are build with
accessiblity in mind.

LOL. You had better go check that fact out.
Practically all applications of Flash on today's
web are inaccessible; that is a guess, but I am convinced that you
agree.

I do agree. But because the developer did not do it right does not mean
you should blame the technology. There are tons of inaccessible sites
out there written in HTML so does that mean HTML is bad too?
Is accessibility remotely a topic of discussion among members of the
Flash-wielding community?

Yes, it is a very important topic. To Macromedia as well as developers
like myself.

Remember I completely agree with everything everyone says about
accessibility, depending on what the site is used for.

For an entertainment site, accessibility is a lower priority than the
entertainment. Because the entertainment IS the content.