    had this problem too?

    Thanks
    , Mar 31, 2006

  2. Brian Cryer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
    > another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
    > is too large the form wont perform the action.
    >
    > Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
    > cant for the life of me find anything.
    >
    > Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
    > had this problem too?
    >
    > Thanks

    Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
    length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount of
    data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).

    I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
    look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
    character limit for both post and get.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Mar 31, 2006

  3. Brian Cryer wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
    >> another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
    >> is too large the form wont perform the action.
    >>
    >> Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
    >> cant for the life of me find anything.
    >>
    >> Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
    >> had this problem too?

    > Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
    > length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount of
    > data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).
    >
    > I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
    > look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
    > character limit for both post and get.

    This only applies to the URI in the FORMs ACTION attribute. There is no
    limit (in the browser) for the FORM content when using the POST method (if
    there is one, than its greater than 50MB - I often had to deal with file
    uploads of such size without problems). The server-side code that handles
    the code probably has a limit (the server-side code may decide to enforce
    any kind of limitation, including obscure and confusing ones).

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 31, 2006
  4. Brian Cryer Guest

    "Benjamin Niemann" <> wrote in message
    > Brian Cryer wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
    >>> another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
    >>> is too large the form wont perform the action.
    >>>
    >>> Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
    >>> cant for the life of me find anything.
    >>>
    >>> Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
    >>> had this problem too?

    >> Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
    >> length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount
    >> of
    >> data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).
    >>
    >> I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
    >> look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
    >> character limit for both post and get.

    > This only applies to the URI in the FORMs ACTION attribute. There is no
    > limit (in the browser) for the FORM content when using the POST method (if
    > there is one, than its greater than 50MB - I often had to deal with file
    > uploads of such size without problems). The server-side code that handles
    > the code probably has a limit (the server-side code may decide to enforce
    > any kind of limitation, including obscure and confusing ones).

    Yes, you are quite right. I should have read the KB article further.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Mar 31, 2006

    Thanks for the replies.

    It appears that the post is being set to the default
    application/x-www-form-urlencoded. The data is base64 so I'm not sure
    if its appropriate or not. I'll try using ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data"
    and see how it goes.

    I'll update this thread when I've tested it.
    , Apr 2, 2006