HTML form post size limit

rounner

Hello,

On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
is too large the form wont perform the action.

Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
cant for the life of me find anything.

Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
had this problem too?

Thanks

Brian Cryer

Hello,

On some computers using IE, when submitting a form that does a post to
another web site with a bunch of hidden items, if the size of the items
is too large the form wont perform the action.

Ive tried to see what is different about the computers in question but
cant for the life of me find anything.

Could it be some sort of buffer overflow protection, or has anyone else
had this problem too?

Thanks

Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount of
data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).

I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
character limit for both post and get.

Hope this helps.

Benjamin Niemann

Brian said:
Its definitely a POST and not a GET? With "get" there is a limit to the
length of the url which would translate into hard limits for the amount of
data you can push across (2kb or more depending on the browser).

I've not heard of any limits regarding POST .... just checking ... take a
look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/ this indicates a 2048
character limit for both post and get.

This only applies to the URI in the FORMs ACTION attribute. There is no
limit (in the browser) for the FORM content when using the POST method (if
there is one, than its greater than 50MB - I often had to deal with file
uploads of such size without problems). The server-side code that handles
the code probably has a limit (the server-side code may decide to enforce
any kind of limitation, including obscure and confusing ones).

Brian Cryer

Benjamin Niemann said:
This only applies to the URI in the FORMs ACTION attribute. There is no
limit (in the browser) for the FORM content when using the POST method (if
there is one, than its greater than 50MB - I often had to deal with file
uploads of such size without problems). The server-side code that handles
the code probably has a limit (the server-side code may decide to enforce
any kind of limitation, including obscure and confusing ones).

Yes, you are quite right. I should have read the KB article further.

rounner

Thanks for the replies.

It appears that the post is being set to the default
application/x-www-form-urlencoded. The data is base64 so I'm not sure
if its appropriate or not. I'll try using ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data"
and see how it goes.

I'll update this thread when I've tested it.