    gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done? I guess it
    silently submits a form in the background. anyone has more information?
    , Jun 7, 2007

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 7 Jun, 11:02, wrote:

    > When I write an e-mail in
    > gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done?

    Research "AJAX"

    It's not (usually) background form submission, it's background use of
    a XmlHttpRequest object to send and receive XML.

    Useful techniques, but make sure there's some usable fallback for non-
    JS customers.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andy Dingley
    <> writing in news:1181211080.603789.66930
    @h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

    > On 7 Jun, 11:02, wrote:
    >
    >> When I write an e-mail in
    >> gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done?

    > Research "AJAX"
    >
    > It's not (usually) background form submission, it's background use of
    > a XmlHttpRequest object to send and receive XML.
    >
    > Useful techniques, but make sure there's some usable fallback for non-
    > JS customers.

    I'm beginning to really hate AJAX. I don't mind a trip back to the
    server, but I do mind the screen graying out, and then not coming back
    correctly. Evite is a good example of that - it fails miserably in
    Opera, and I have even had problems with IE. Firefox seems to be the only
    one that works correctly with it.

    To the OP, please consider how you do this - before AJAX was the
    technique du jour, people were used to a trip to the server. If a form
    is designed well, an extra trip is hardly noticable.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 7, 2007
  4. Roy A. Guest

    On 7 Jun, 12:02, wrote:
    > I am trying to implement a shopping cart. When the user clicks the
    > checkout button, 2 things need to be done. 1)Saving the user's data
    > and 2) open the checkout webpage (3rd party).
    > the checkout webpage requires a HTTP POST, so I cannot load my page
    > first, then redirect.
    > But maybe I can do this in a Google way. When I write an e-mail in
    > gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done? I guess it
    > silently submits a form in the background. anyone has more information?

    Can't you submit the user data and make the 3rd party HTTP POST from
    the server?
    Roy A., Jun 8, 2007