Html format email

Raymond SCHMIT

Interjecting for an opinion from the "plain text only" crowd. I don't think
your arguments are without merit, but I do think your fighting a battle that
you already lost several years ago.

The question is how do your thoughts change for HTML messages that use HTML
only for its formatting capabilities? Different fonts, some color, and
tables that look and behave like tables. In other words nothing at all
included that "phones home". Do you have the same objections?

My apps generate Emails pretty regularly. Mostly intranet, but some go to
the outside world and for many I use HTML because the requirements of the
message make plain text look pretty awful.

If HTML format is needed .. it's because the content of the mail is
not valuable enough that it needs a "gui" boosting ....

i have read "nobody have complained because they receive the
newsletter in html" ... may be you are true, but a lot of them hate
html - because there is absolutely no needs for html format .....
except "de la poudre aux yeux"(sorry i cannot translate this french
expression)

Raymond SCHMIT

"Serious" correspondents? How about the 300,000+ employees of IBM, the
vast majority of which use Lotus Notes and a default of HTML email? Or
most other Fortune 500 companies which do the same?
It's not because the compagnies imposes the format for all their
employees that's a good thing ... i maintain that HTML format is a
stupid superfuous gadget. (sometimes 200Kb for a single interesting
sentence of 50 bytes)

dorayme

If HTML format is needed .. it's because the content of the mail is
not valuable enough ... it needs a "gui" boosting ....

There could be a need for quite other reasons. The *point* of the email
might be to show formatting. For example, I sometimes tell my clients to
send an HTML email if they want to show me what they have in mind for
some text. Attachment is also welcome.

To discourage HTML emailing generally does not mean to throw everything
and the kitchen sink at the practice.

I remind everyone that this started about newsletters, it was not about
just HTML emails.

Blinky the Shark

Raymond said:
It's not because the compagnies imposes the format for all their
employees that's a good thing ... i maintain that HTML format is a
stupid superfuous gadget. (sometimes 200Kb for a single interesting
sentence of 50 bytes)

And it's a gateway drug for Incredimail. :)

Neredbojias

If HTML format is needed .. it's because the content of the mail is
not valuable enough that it needs a "gui" boosting ....

i have read "nobody have complained because they receive the
newsletter in html" ... may be you are true, but a lot of them hate
html - because there is absolutely no needs for html format .....
except "de la poudre aux yeux"(sorry i cannot translate this french
expression)

It mean "La de da, let your auxiliary yuks take a powder."

Raymond SCHMIT

There could be a need for quite other reasons. The *point* of the email
might be to show formatting. For example, I sometimes tell my clients to
send an HTML email if they want to show me what they have in mind for
some text. Attachment is also welcome.

To discourage HTML emailing generally does not mean to throw everything
and the kitchen sink at the practice.

I remind everyone that this started about newsletters, it was not about
just HTML emails.

My remarks was also againt newsletters. My ISP send me once a month a
newsletter in html +images .... etc .... the only valuable content is
like per example:
1. - How to configure outlook http://www.howto/configure/outlook.htm
2. - Power-Ball an interesting gadget http://www.powerball.com
3. - Print your digitals photos http://www.print/digital-photos.com

I prefer the example ...

Raymond SCHMIT

It mean "La de da, let your auxiliary yuks take a powder."

Thanks Nerdbojias ...

I must also add that:
"nobody have complained because they receive the newsletter in html" .

I receive each month a newsletter from my ISP and i *cannot* complain
because the "From:" part of the email is: <[email protected]>

Neredbojias

Thanks Nerdbojias ...

I must also add that:
"nobody have complained because they receive the newsletter in html"
.

I receive each month a newsletter from my ISP and i *cannot* complain
because the "From:" part of the email is: <[email protected]>

That's nice but complaining is a God-given right for all human beings
although women do tend to abuse it.

William Gill

Ed said:
I see this all the time here. I think it's outmoded and silly.

Yes, I understand some of you are on dial up.

However, I've been sending an HTML newsletter to 250+ people since 2001.
I have not received a single complaint.

Virtually all email I receive is HTML.

People? It's almost 2009.

While I prefer plain text, I find the discussion interesting. Many seem
to omit the implications of the difference between sending anything to a
known, willing, finite audience (eg a newsletter), and receiving
something from an unknown, unsolicited source (eg spam).

I think it's time for Travis to chime in on the appropriate matching of
media to audience.