html forms in aspx pages

thersitz

I can't seem to get my html form to submit properly from within a web form.
Here's my form tag syntax and some delivery hidden fields.
<form id="myForm" action="https://xxx.order.net/xxx/cgi-bin/delivery.cgi"
method="POST" onsubmit="return verify();">
<input type="hidden" name="recipient" [email protected] />
<input type="hidden" name="redirect"
value="http://www.xxx.org/forms/confirmation.htm" />
rest of form.

I have the form within <asp:content> tags of an asp web form page. Is that
the problem? Do html forms need to be in a file with an html extension and
not a web form. This web form uses a masterpage. I did try putting the html
forms in the masterpage -- but that didn't seem to affect anything.

The form recognizes the reset button and clears the form, but when I submit
it simply reloads the page -- and doesn't access the delivery.cgi file nor
send me the results nor redirect to the confirmation page.

Thanks for any help.

David Wier

When you say you can't get it to submit properly - what exactly do you mean
(what happens)?

I've never tried the 'old' way of doing forms in a content page, so I'm not
exactly sure what to expect - but I'd suggest writing it the ASP.Net way,
instead - I do that all the time and it works fine....

thersitz

Thanks David. I am really new to asp.net, and feel I am drowning.

Well, my action attribute is suppose to go to this
<action="https://xxx.order.net/xxx/cgi-bin/delivery.cgi"> cgi file and get
read and then delivered and then send the user to a confirmation page. All
that happens in my aspx file is that the page reloads and nothing seems to
get sent anywhere.

I tried using the asp.net controls to build the form -- and still use the
delivery.cgi to parse it -- but then I was getting post back errors.

If I build the form using all asp.net controls -- and not use any regular
html form tags -- how do I get it to deliver say an email to a set of
recipients?

I appropriately have an asp for dummies book and it seems to suggest just
using html form tags -- and when doing so, the page builds fine and displays
fine. The reset button clears the form. But submitting just reloads the very
same page instead of routing to the cgi file handler.

David Wier

The problem here, is the form deal, as Kevin pointed out - - - (doah! -
wasn't thinking clearly enough)
The way this is normally done is creating the form itself (without the form
tags), and then adding a button. Then, inside the button's click event, you
create everything that you need done with the form.
Not totally sure, again, with the cgi aspect of this - but check out this
sample on crosspage posting and see if you can get it started that way:
http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/tipstricks/default.aspx#crosspage

--
David Wier
MVP/ASPInsider

thersitz

Yes it does. Thanks, Kevin.

Could I do this in my masterpage:
<form id="form1" runat="server"
action="https://xxx.order.net/xxx/cgi-bin/delivery.cgi">

And then build a web form linking that masterpage and when submitting have
the server send the results to the cgi file cited so that the cgi file
parses and delivers -- like my other html forms?

Kevin Spencer

Another method is to put the "regular" HTML form outside the WebForm
(outside of the <form...>...</form> tags) in the ASP.Net page. Of course,
you would have to change your method of adding the "plain HTML" form code, a
server-side include, for example.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Bit Player
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

In case of Minimalism, break Philip Glass.

Kevin Spencer

I just gave you a suggestion in another post in this same thread. See if you
like it. The important thing to remember is that a WebForm is, on the client
side, an HTML form, and you can't nest HTML forms inside one another. How
you work around that is up to you, but I did make a suggestion.