HTML Frameset... Unwanted scrollbar...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by GoogleSher, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. GoogleSher

    GoogleSher Guest

    Hi,

    I have created a simple frames page layout, with the page split
    horizontally in two pages.

    In my resolution of 1280 x 1024 the site shows no scrollbars as the
    scrolling is set to Default "Auto". However... as I reduce the height
    of the browser window... as soon as it hits the link text a horizontal
    scrollbar appears for no apparent reason. I expect the vertical
    scrollbar, but not a horizontal one. Take a look here:

    www.sweynepark.com/test

    Can anybody tell me what is causing the browser to scroll horizontally
    in this case?

    Many thanks for any help,

    Neil.

    GoogleSher, Jan 21, 2005

  2. GoogleSher

    Steve Pugh Guest

    (GoogleSher) wrote:

    >I have created a simple frames page layout, with the page split
    >horizontally in two pages.

    Oh dear.

    >In my resolution of 1280 x 1024 the site shows no scrollbars as the
    >scrolling is set to Default "Auto". However... as I reduce the height
    >of the browser window... as soon as it hits the link text a horizontal
    >scrollbar appears for no apparent reason. I expect the vertical
    >scrollbar, but not a horizontal one. Take a look here:
    >
    >www.sweynepark.com/test
    >
    >Can anybody tell me what is causing the browser to scroll horizontally
    >in this case?

    Only in IE.

    Your frameset page contains a doctype that triggers standards mode. In
    standards mode IE always shows either no scrollbars or both scrollars
    for frames. Switch to a doctype that triggers quirks mode or better
    yet ditch the frames.

    What sort of code is that meant to be? Retro 1996 nostalgia?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jan 21, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have created a simple frames page layout, with the page split
    > horizontally in two pages.
    >
    > In my resolution of 1280 x 1024 the site shows no scrollbars as the
    > scrolling is set to Default "Auto". However... as I reduce the height
    > of the browser window... as soon as it hits the link text a horizontal
    > scrollbar appears for no apparent reason. I expect the vertical
    > scrollbar, but not a horizontal one. Take a look here:
    >
    > www.sweynepark.com/test
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what is causing the browser to scroll horizontally
    > in this case?

    I see Steve has already answered this.

    > Many thanks for any help,

    If I were you I'd drop the frames altogether and get a decent HTML
    tutorial. The code you're producing is rather bad. I appreciate that
    you may be new to HTML, but now's the time to start looking at getting
    your code correct.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.