    website documenting the various gems available kind of like
    search.cpan.org? I found RAA but it does not seem to have all the gems,
    and has a bunch of non-gem stuff as well.

    Brandon Hoult, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Try http://rubyforge.org

    Justin Bailey, Mar 6, 2006

  3. Come to think of it, that would be nice ;)
    Right now the best way to do it is to look at the descriptions with the
    console app, but that's hardly enough.

    Maybe I'll play with making some slick web interface. Could be fun.
    Anyone interested? (unless something exists, which I haven't really
    seen)
    .adam

    Adam Sanderson, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Justin Bailey wrote:

    > Try http://rubyforge.org

    These are Ruby projects. Few of them are Gems.

    john

    John N. Alegre, Mar 7, 2006
  5. Brandon Hoult

    Lou Vanek Guest

    Lou Vanek, Mar 8, 2006
  6. Basically I would like to be able to find what is available in a
    somewhat complete state to do a given thing. Rubyforge gives a bunch of
    stuff, but most of it is still in early development and is not
    documented etc. My assumption is that if they bothered to package it as
    a gem then it would hopefully be more completely functional.

    If I search for a gem using the command line then I get a basic
    description, often there are several alternatives. Other than installing
    them there is no way for me to determine which one is most sutable. In
    CPAN I can look at the documentation for each available module to see
    which resembles what I want.

    As the list of gems grows it will be more important to be able to get
    details about the gems prior to actually installing them. Until then,
    this: http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php is the best
    alternative I have found.

    Brandon Hoult, Mar 8, 2006