HTML guide for newbies.

Inkspot

Can anyone suggest a good website (or book) for someone new to the
webmaster game?

I've been trying to get my lists to output justified text, but haven't
had much luck. Tried google-searching for the answer, but each site
that I went to provided no help. Saw a <ul align="justify"> suggestion,
but it didn't work :(

I'm picking things up as I go along, sometimes with much head-ache; it
would be far easier to have a one-stop spot to get detailed answers.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Can anyone suggest a good website (or book) for someone new to the
webmaster game?
http://www.w3.org/

I've been trying to get my lists to output justified text,
Why?

but haven't had much luck.

That is a presentation issue, therefore handled with CSS.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/text.html#alignment-prop
Tried google-searching for the answer, but each site
that I went to provided no help. Saw a <ul align="justify"> suggestion,
but it didn't work :(

Wherever you found that, don't go there again.
I'm picking things up as I go along, sometimes with much head-ache; it
would be far easier to have a one-stop spot to get detailed answers.

news://alt.html :)

Roy Schestowitz

Inkspot said:
Can anyone suggest a good website (or book) for someone new to the
webmaster game?

I've been trying to get my lists to output justified text, but haven't
had much luck. Tried google-searching for the answer, but each site
that I went to provided no help. Saw a <ul align="justify"> suggestion,
but it didn't work :(

I'm picking things up as I go along, sometimes with much head-ache; it
would be far easier to have a one-stop spot to get detailed answers.

Although this source was criticised by alt.html before, I choose to
recommend it again:

http://werbach.com/barebones/

I started using it many years ago and I still use it. It's concise and it
includes almost all the information that you need.

Roy

rf

Roy Schestowitz opined.
Although this source was criticised by alt.html before, I choose to
recommend it again:

http://werbach.com/barebones/

Oh my.

<quote>
The Bare Bones Guide to HTML lists every official HTML tag in common usage,
</quote>

Element. It is HTML Element. Not tag.

This alone indicates that whoever wrote this can not even get the
nomenclature correct. What other errors are there in there?

<quote>
plus Netscape and Microsoft extensions.
</quote>

Hmmm. It gets worse. These days we try to write web pages that work on every
browser, not specifically for just one or two, to the exclusion of the
others.

It's also interesting that this site makes no mention at all of the
technology the OP acually requires, that is CSS.
I started using it many years ago and I still use it. It's concise and it
includes almost all the information that you need.

Plus all of the crap that was in use last century.

I too will make a recommendation: You, and the OP, would be far better off
going to W3C and reading the specifications, or at least using something
that was written in the current era.

John Cserkuti

Inkspot said:
Can anyone suggest a good website (or book) for someone new to the
webmaster game?

I've been trying to get my lists to output justified text, but haven't
had much luck. Tried google-searching for the answer, but each site
that I went to provided no help. Saw a <ul align="justify"> suggestion,
but it didn't work :(

I'm picking things up as I go along, sometimes with much head-ache; it
would be far easier to have a one-stop spot to get detailed answers.

w3schools.com is also pretty good for beginners

Neal

Roy Schestowitz opined.

Oh my.

<quote>
The Bare Bones Guide to HTML lists every official HTML tag in common
usage,
</quote>

Element. It is HTML Element. Not tag.

So <h1> is not a tag?

Mark Parnell

I haven't seen that site before. It's not as bad as some of the others
around, but I still wouldn't even consider recommending it. It's very
outdated - no mention of CSS at all, and it's based on HTML4.0, which
was superseded by HTML4.01 5 years ago. In fact, the site itself hasn't
been updated in nearly 6 years. On the Internet that's a lifetime (or
several). Not a resource to be used now.

Starshine Moonbeam

Neal said:
So <h1> is not a tag?

No. The correct term is element.

I don't wig out if people call it tag. I use tag so who am I to crack
down on people for doing it?

But the proper term is element.

rf

Neal
So <h1> is not a tag?

<h1> is a tag. It is the opening tag for the h1 element. The h1 element also
has some content and a closing tag.

The middle bit is very important. The content is not some content on the
"page" with <h1> and </h1>tags wrapped around it. It is the content of the
h1 element.

Further the h1 element is part of the content of (probably) the body element
which is part of the content of the html element which *is* for all intents
and purposes the page. The "page" has no plain text content. It only has
other elements as content.

When talking about the "contents" of an HTML page we talk about the elements
that make up that page, not the tags, which are a part of the elements.

An HTML tutorial should be talking about elements and how they interact. It
should not have as its major emphasis, and in its opening paragraph, a
discussion of tags. That bit comes when we discuss what an element is.

This confusion (coupled with the misconception that tags are actually
"commands") leads to things like:

This is of course wrong but it "does" mean something if you think about
tags, or "commands" It does not make any sense at all if you think about
elements.

Neal

No. The correct term is element.

I don't wig out if people call it tag. I use tag so who am I to crack
down on people for doing it?

But the proper term is element.

So <h1> is an element???

CanLaw

Justified text is another mark of the amateur.
You are not a designer or writer just because you cobble a little html together
anymore than a bricklayer is architect.

Canadian Legal Help, Articles, Legal Tips, Lawyer Referral Service
and related support for anyone needing Canadian legal assistance in any area..
http://www.canlaw.com (a division of Kirwood Inc.)
x-no-archive:yes

(e-mail address removed)

Neal

rf said:
Neal

<h1> is a tag. It is the opening tag for the h1 element. The h1 element
also
has some content and a closing tag.

So the element is delimited by a tag or pair of tags, no?
The middle bit is very important. The content is not some content on the
"page" with <h1> and </h1>tags wrapped around it. It is the content of
the
h1 element.

Yes, the tag(s) plus the content (if not empty) comprise the element.
When talking about the "contents" of an HTML page we talk about the
elements
that make up that page, not the tags, which are a part of the elements.
Indeed.

An HTML tutorial should be talking about elements and how they interact.
It
should not have as its major emphasis, and in its opening paragraph, a
discussion of tags. That bit comes when we discuss what an element is.

Hmm. It would seem to me that using "tags" in a description would be
better bait than "elements" considering "tag" is a term more people have
heard of.

Of course, I agree with you rf, but using the term 'tag" isn't cause
enough to trash a site.
This confusion (coupled with the misconception that tags are actually
"commands")

Well, that's a separate issue, isn't it?
leads to things like:

This is of course wrong but it "does" mean something if you think about
tags, or "commands" It does not make any sense at all if you think about
elements.

Well, it depends on how "tags" are taught.

In my formative days, I thought of "tags" as on-off switches. This is
probably prevalent, and certainly wrong. After I learned more, I realized
that "tags" had to be nested properly, and I began learning the rules of
nesting.

Later on I learned of "elements". I don't regret it, and I agree that
speaking of "tag" only in a paragraph about "elements" s better. But don't
be deluded into thinking that "tag"-related understanding necessarily
equates to poor nesting.

Devil's Advocate role aside, I still think that "tags" is only a
four-letter word in count only. And that any good primer should mention
"element" nore than "tag", which you did not indicate the site in
questiuon failed to do.

Shailesh Humbad

Inkspot said:
Can anyone suggest a good website (or book) for someone new to the
webmaster game?

I've been trying to get my lists to output justified text, but haven't
had much luck. Tried google-searching for the answer, but each site
that I went to provided no help. Saw a <ul align="justify"> suggestion,
but it didn't work :(

I'm picking things up as I go along, sometimes with much head-ache; it
would be far easier to have a one-stop spot to get detailed answers.

An oldie, but goodie:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/

A book you want to get: Dynamic HTML - The Definitive Reference 2ed
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596003161/somacon-20

Neither are for total newbies. If you are a total newbie, I suggest:
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html

Your question indicates non-newbieness. What will increase your skill
is making test pages and trying them on different browsers. Then, to
reach guru status, get 100% from the free validators at:

HTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

To get justified text in a list, one way is:

UL { text-align:justify; }
<ul>
<li>This text should be justified.
<li>As should this text be justified.
</ul>

Starshine Moonbeam

Neal said:
I think you'll find that

<h1>Teddy Grahm Memories</h1>

is an element, while

<h1>

is a tag.

Fair enough. I just thought people used tag and element interchangably
with element being right and tag for convienence. I didn't know there
was an actual definition for tag. Whoops.