HTML guide for newbies.

Roy Schestowitz

Mark said:
I haven't seen that site before. It's not as bad as some of the others
around, but I still wouldn't even consider recommending it. It's very
outdated - no mention of CSS at all, and it's based on HTML4.0, which
was superseded by HTML4.01 5 years ago. In fact, the site itself hasn't
been updated in nearly 6 years. On the Internet that's a lifetime (or
several). Not a resource to be used now.

I have only been using it as a quick reference to, let us say, find the
attribute for cellpadding in a table. It does the trick.

Roy

Roy Schestowitz

Starshine Moonbeam dropped the 3 letter word:

....and now we're down to semantics. <h1> is a tag from a programmatic
point-of-view and <h1>blog</h1> is an HTML element. No?

Roy

Dan Ruscoe

So <h1> is not a tag?

If I understand correctly, <h1> when used on a page is a tag, but h1
itself is known as an element.

But then I might not understand correctly.

rf

Neal said:
rf wrote:
So the element is delimited by a tag or pair of tags, no?

No. The element *contains* a start tag and an end tag.
Yes, the tag(s) plus the content (if not empty) comprise the element.

Yes. Although sometimes one or more of these things are optional.
Of course, I agree with you rf, but using the term 'tag" isn't cause
enough to trash a site.

It is not as per the recommendation. It is not concise and is totally open
to the readers misinterpretation.

Couple that with the questions you see here from the newbies. They think
elements are tags, attributes are tags, style rules are tags, properties are
tags and that tags are commands.

Tell them their tag is missing a ; and it means nothing. Tell them their
property-value pair is missing a ; and it makes sense.

Here is what W3C have to say:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2

Scroll down a bit to the green bit where they say:
Elements are not tags. ...

So, the recommendation states it rather forcefully (for the recommendation).
Why should we not use what the recommendation says?
Well, it depends on how "tags" are taught.

They (and HTML for that matter) are usually taught wrongly. :)

Starshine Moonbeam

Roy Schestowitz said:
Starshine Moonbeam dropped the 3 letter word:

...and now we're down to semantics. <h1> is a tag from a programmatic
point-of-view and <h1>blog</h1> is an HTML element. No?

Yeah, I was wrong before elements have opening and closing tags.

Now I know. Yo Joe!

Starshine Moonbeam

Starshine Moonbeam said:

Yeah, I should have just looked at the page in front of me.

I blame fast food and convienence stores. And rock music, of course.