HTML Help for local files please?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DC, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. DC

    DC Guest

    -=PrOzAk=- wrote:
    > I want to make my own start page so that I can quickly access files and
    > programs on my computer. The problem is that I can't find the HTML coding to
    > do this. I want to be able to click various images, one to open up a text
    > file in notepad so it can be edited and saved, one to open my playlist of
    > music and another to open a folder such as my documents so I can see the
    > contents. Can anybody help me as to if there is a way of doing it??

    Uh, isn't that what your *desktop* does now?

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Jul 20, 2004

  2. DC

    Els Guest

    DC wrote:

    > -=PrOzAk=- wrote:
    >> I want to make my own start page so that I can quickly
    >> access files and
    >> programs on my computer. The problem is that I can't find
    >> the HTML coding to do this. I want to be able to click
    >> various images, one to open up a text file in notepad so
    >> it can be edited and saved, one to open my playlist of
    >> music and another to open a folder such as my documents so
    >> I can see the contents. Can anybody help me as to if there
    >> is a way of doing it??

    > Uh, isn't that what your *desktop* does now?

    I can imagine it's a bit of a hassle to have all those large
    icons everywhere, I use Desktop Sidebar for that. Also holds my
    WinAmp, MediaPlayer, MSN, volume and more.
    http://www.desktopsidebar.com/

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jul 20, 2004

  3. DC

    -=PrOzAk=- Guest

    I want to make my own start page so that I can quickly access files and
    programs on my computer. The problem is that I can't find the HTML coding to
    do this. I want to be able to click various images, one to open up a text
    file in notepad so it can be edited and saved, one to open my playlist of
    music and another to open a folder such as my documents so I can see the
    contents. Can anybody help me as to if there is a way of doing it??

    --
    Ever heard of Neopets? Create your own pet online and more, check it out.
    http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=temporarypro

    ---------------signature---------------
    SPAMTRAP
    Hey If you want to e-mail me back you have to remove Your-Wallet
    -----------------------
    -=PrOzAk=-, Jul 20, 2004
  4. DC

    lime Guest

    > I want to make my own start page so that I can quickly access files and
    > programs on my computer. The problem is that I can't find the HTML coding

    > do this. I want to be able to click various images, one to open up a text
    > file in notepad so it can be edited and saved, one to open my playlist of
    > music and another to open a folder such as my documents so I can see the
    > contents. Can anybody help me as to if there is a way of doing it??

    Desktop > Shortcuts....
    lime, Jul 20, 2004
  5. DC

    -=PrOzAk=- Guest

    Well, thanks I guess. I just wanted my own little project and a better start
    page, guess I'll have to give it a miss.

    -=PrOzAk=-, Jul 21, 2004
  6. DC

    Dave Patton Guest

    "-=PrOzAk=-" <> wrote in

    > I want to make my own start page so that I can quickly access files
    > and programs on my computer.

    Seems like a waste of time, given all the existing products
    that will do that already.

    > The problem is that I can't find the HTML coding to do this.

    If you want to "click" on a link on your 'start page', then
    the link has to point to the local resource you want, rather
    than to a resource on the internet. Read up on "file URLs":
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/fileurl.html

    P.S.
    Your signature delimiter is broken - it is supposed
    to be two dashes followed by a space(which you are missing).

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Jul 21, 2004