HTML Help, Please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jim, Feb 5, 2009.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I have a Yahoo website where I have posted some basic documents,
    but, overall my HTML skills are terrible.

    I wanted to buy a simple and clean HTML template and make a simple
    site where I could simply replace the maker's "Greek" with my own
    text, but keep the rest of the template stayed 100% original.

    I figured to do it on Notepad and then cut-and-paste it to an empty Yahoo
    page.

    Well, the template uses CSS style sheets. I have no idea of how to use
    them.
    And, even though I am sure that it is wonderful and amazing, I have no
    desire to
    spend hours and hours learning a skill that I'll never use again.

    A tutorial I read said, "simply put the css file and the html file in the
    same folder and then open them together." I'm lost. I'm used to plain
    HTML, with images (this template has one image). I'd upload them to the
    Yahoo editor and be done quickly.

    Can this css/html even be uploaded to Yahoo? Or, can I, some way, merge the
    two into html?

    Or, can someone in this group do something like that...I'll pay for the
    work.

    Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com
    Jim, Feb 5, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jim" <> writing in
    news:gmftkq$uul$:

    > I have a Yahoo website where I have posted some basic documents,
    > but, overall my HTML skills are terrible.
    >
    > I wanted to buy a simple and clean HTML template and make a simple
    > site where I could simply replace the maker's "Greek" with my own
    > text, but keep the rest of the template stayed 100% original.
    >
    > I figured to do it on Notepad and then cut-and-paste it to an empty
    > Yahoo page.
    >
    > Well, the template uses CSS style sheets. I have no idea of how to
    > use them.
    > And, even though I am sure that it is wonderful and amazing, I have no
    > desire to
    > spend hours and hours learning a skill that I'll never use again.
    >
    > A tutorial I read said, "simply put the css file and the html file in
    > the same folder and then open them together." I'm lost. I'm used to
    > plain HTML, with images (this template has one image). I'd upload
    > them to the Yahoo editor and be done quickly.
    >
    > Can this css/html even be uploaded to Yahoo? Or, can I, some way,
    > merge the two into html?
    >
    > Or, can someone in this group do something like that...I'll pay for
    > the work.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com
    >
    >
    >
    >


    There are several things going on here. First, if the template is done
    correctly, you really only have to replace the default text - and that's
    a big if. You see, with semantic markup - that is using the correct
    HTML element for the job, and all presentation being left to CSS - there
    really is not much to do but edit the text. If the template was created
    correctly, you should be good to go.

    Good idea for you to open the files in Notepad. You might want,
    however, to get an editor that has syntax highlighting - that way you
    can easily see what's what. I like HTML-Kit from
    [http://chami.com/html-kit/], it's free.

    Now, the big question is what Yahoo is going to do with the files once
    you put them up. If you are using one of the free sites (Geocities),
    then they will make a mess out of it. I'm not sure what the paid
    versions of Yahoo websites do.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 6, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi Adrienne. Please read my reply at the bottom of this original message:

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9BA9A3C92DBFDarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102...
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jim" <> writing in
    > news:gmftkq$uul$:
    >
    > > I have a Yahoo website where I have posted some basic documents,
    > > but, overall my HTML skills are terrible.
    > >
    > > I wanted to buy a simple and clean HTML template and make a simple
    > > site where I could simply replace the maker's "Greek" with my own
    > > text, but keep the rest of the template stayed 100% original.
    > >
    > > I figured to do it on Notepad and then cut-and-paste it to an empty
    > > Yahoo page.
    > >
    > > Well, the template uses CSS style sheets. I have no idea of how to
    > > use them.
    > > And, even though I am sure that it is wonderful and amazing, I have no
    > > desire to
    > > spend hours and hours learning a skill that I'll never use again.
    > >
    > > A tutorial I read said, "simply put the css file and the html file in
    > > the same folder and then open them together." I'm lost. I'm used to
    > > plain HTML, with images (this template has one image). I'd upload
    > > them to the Yahoo editor and be done quickly.
    > >
    > > Can this css/html even be uploaded to Yahoo? Or, can I, some way,
    > > merge the two into html?
    > >
    > > Or, can someone in this group do something like that...I'll pay for
    > > the work.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > There are several things going on here. First, if the template is done
    > correctly, you really only have to replace the default text - and that's
    > a big if. You see, with semantic markup - that is using the correct
    > HTML element for the job, and all presentation being left to CSS - there
    > really is not much to do but edit the text. If the template was created
    > correctly, you should be good to go.
    >
    > Good idea for you to open the files in Notepad. You might want,
    > however, to get an editor that has syntax highlighting - that way you
    > can easily see what's what. I like HTML-Kit from
    > [http://chami.com/html-kit/], it's free.
    >
    > Now, the big question is what Yahoo is going to do with the files once
    > you put them up. If you are using one of the free sites (Geocities),
    > then they will make a mess out of it. I'm not sure what the paid
    > versions of Yahoo websites do.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    > http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    > Please respond to the group so others can share
    >


    Hi Adrienne,


    Well, I moved all of the files with the template up to Yahoo, and here is
    how it looks:

    http://www.thororanch.com/zzmyindex.html

    I know that you are saying, "Big deal.....geeze." But, this is a major
    victory for me.

    Now, I only have to do one thing. The header is a beautiful picture of a
    sunset.
    It is called "header.jpg." and is 430 x 210.

    Here's the template, called Chic02:
    http://www.oswd.org/designs/favorites/sortby/date/page/5/

    As you can see, it is not at the top of my page.

    The file is uploaded, but I don't know how or where to put the instructions
    for the page to show "header.jpg".

    I tried very hard to combine the CSS and html, and I'm 90% of the way there.

    Once I can get the photo to show, I'm in business.

    If not, I'll find another pretty picture to put there. I have several that
    I can use.

    But, I don't know how to say, "Put that picture called header.jpg at the top
    of the page." And, more importantly, I don't know where to put the command,
    either.

    Please look at the source code and tell me if I am doing ok.

    Guru, I've done all I can for now. Please help me out with this one.

    I hope that you'll respond. Thank you very much! Jim
    Jim, Feb 6, 2009
    #3
  4. Jim

    Tagsoup Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi Adrienne. Please read my reply at the bottom of this original message:
    >
    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > news:Xns9BA9A3C92DBFDarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102...
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jim" <> writing in
    >> news:gmftkq$uul$:
    >>
    >>> I have a Yahoo website where I have posted some basic documents,
    >>> but, overall my HTML skills are terrible.
    >>>
    >>> I wanted to buy a simple and clean HTML template and make a simple
    >>> site where I could simply replace the maker's "Greek" with my own
    >>> text, but keep the rest of the template stayed 100% original.
    >>>
    >>> I figured to do it on Notepad and then cut-and-paste it to an empty
    >>> Yahoo page.
    >>>
    >>> Well, the template uses CSS style sheets. I have no idea of how to
    >>> use them.
    >>> And, even though I am sure that it is wonderful and amazing, I have no
    >>> desire to
    >>> spend hours and hours learning a skill that I'll never use again.
    >>>
    >>> A tutorial I read said, "simply put the css file and the html file in
    >>> the same folder and then open them together." I'm lost. I'm used to
    >>> plain HTML, with images (this template has one image). I'd upload
    >>> them to the Yahoo editor and be done quickly.
    >>>
    >>> Can this css/html even be uploaded to Yahoo? Or, can I, some way,
    >>> merge the two into html?
    >>>
    >>> Or, can someone in this group do something like that...I'll pay for
    >>> the work.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> There are several things going on here. First, if the template is done
    >> correctly, you really only have to replace the default text - and that's
    >> a big if. You see, with semantic markup - that is using the correct
    >> HTML element for the job, and all presentation being left to CSS - there
    >> really is not much to do but edit the text. If the template was created
    >> correctly, you should be good to go.
    >>
    >> Good idea for you to open the files in Notepad. You might want,
    >> however, to get an editor that has syntax highlighting - that way you
    >> can easily see what's what. I like HTML-Kit from
    >> [http://chami.com/html-kit/], it's free.
    >>
    >> Now, the big question is what Yahoo is going to do with the files once
    >> you put them up. If you are using one of the free sites (Geocities),
    >> then they will make a mess out of it. I'm not sure what the paid
    >> versions of Yahoo websites do.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Adrienne Boswell at Home
    >> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    >> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    >> Please respond to the group so others can share
    >>

    >
    > Hi Adrienne,
    >
    >
    > Well, I moved all of the files with the template up to Yahoo, and here is
    > how it looks:
    >
    > http://www.thororanch.com/zzmyindex.html
    >
    > I know that you are saying, "Big deal.....geeze." But, this is a major
    > victory for me.
    >
    > Now, I only have to do one thing. The header is a beautiful picture of a
    > sunset.
    > It is called "header.jpg." and is 430 x 210.
    >
    > Here's the template, called Chic02:
    > http://www.oswd.org/designs/favorites/sortby/date/page/5/
    >
    > As you can see, it is not at the top of my page.
    >
    > The file is uploaded, but I don't know how or where to put the instructions
    > for the page to show "header.jpg".
    >
    > I tried very hard to combine the CSS and html, and I'm 90% of the way there.
    >
    > Once I can get the photo to show, I'm in business.
    >
    > If not, I'll find another pretty picture to put there. I have several that
    > I can use.
    >
    > But, I don't know how to say, "Put that picture called header.jpg at the top
    > of the page." And, more importantly, I don't know where to put the command,
    > either.


    That 'command' is already there - in the CSS. The problem is that the
    image is not available, as you can see by going directly to its correct
    location in a browser: http://www.thororanch.com/images/header.jpg

    To fix this, upload the images folder that came with the template.
    Tagsoup, Feb 6, 2009
    #4
  5. Jim

    dorayme Guest

    In article <gmgqod$svp$>, "Jim" <>
    wrote:


    > Well, I moved all of the files with the template up to Yahoo, and here is
    > how it looks:
    >
    > http://www.thororanch.com/zzmyindex.html
    >

    ....
    > Now, I only have to do one thing. The header is a beautiful picture of a
    > sunset.


    > It is called "header.jpg." and is 430 x 210.
    >

    ....
    > As you can see, it is not at the top of my page.
    >
    > The file is uploaded, but I don't know how or where to put the instructions
    > for the page to show "header.jpg".
    >
    > I tried very hard to combine the CSS and html, and I'm 90% of the way there.
    >
    > Once I can get the photo to show, I'm in business.
    >
    > If not, I'll find another pretty picture to put there. I have several that
    > I can use.


    It is not the fault of the pic, it is that it is not included in the
    source mark up. You can look up the source under View in your browser
    and see there is no img element for it. You might need to go to some
    Yahoo group for advice about their interface if you do not use the
    normal way of establishing and maintaining a website (having docs and
    pics on your local computer and uploading them to a web server via FTP).

    Adrienne is not available right this minute, she is fleeing from Travis
    and does not know that Dirty Harry has actually just shot him dead and
    it is safe to return home.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 6, 2009
    #5
  6. Jim

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > It is not the fault of the pic, it is that it is not included in the
    > source mark up. You can look up the source under View in your browser
    > and see there is no img element for it. You might need to go to some
    > Yahoo group for advice about their interface if you do not use the
    > normal way of establishing and maintaining a website (having docs and
    > pics on your local computer and uploading them to a web server via FTP).


    As a subsequent poster reminded me, it could (and was) a background
    image and in the CSS. Sorry. I need to finish the first cup of tea of
    the day...

    So it is not loaded up right. I will leave you in the hands of Yahoo
    experts...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 6, 2009
    #6
  7. Jim

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >> It is not the fault of the pic, it is that it is not included in the
    >> source mark up. You can look up the source under View in your browser
    >> and see there is no img element for it. You might need to go to some
    >> Yahoo group for advice about their interface if you do not use the
    >> normal way of establishing and maintaining a website (having docs and
    >> pics on your local computer and uploading them to a web server via
    >> FTP).

    >
    > As a subsequent poster reminded me, it could (and was) a background
    > image and in the CSS. Sorry. I need to finish the first cup of tea of
    > the day...


    None of the images are loaded. They all get a 404, except of course for the
    one yahoo puts in there to surrupticiously track visitors (OP 404 means the
    file is not found on the server).

    Are those images in a folder called image, as in
    http://www.thororanch.com/images/back.gif ?

    Remember servers are usually case sensitive.


    > So it is not loaded up right. I will leave you in the hands of Yahoo
    > experts...


    Indeed.
    rf, Feb 6, 2009
    #7
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    THANK YOU

    Thank you all very much for your input.

    BTW, all of the images were uploaded in advance.

    You were right about the problem......I needed a subdirectory for images,
    etc.

    Once I did that, it came out looking as it should on the internet.

    However, it doesn't come out the same using the Yahoo editor.

    So, I am switching over to an editor/FTP combo which should allow me better
    control over the images.

    From there, just as all of you said, I just need to replace the scrambled
    text with my intended text.

    Then, I'll make additional pages from the same source code, and edit the
    text to fit the title of the link (Contact Us, etc.)

    One reply was that the Yahoo editor was not the best. I have found that to
    be the case.

    Another reply pointed to a lack of subdirectories for the various
    components. That advice was spot on.

    Now, it is simple, but can now control it a bit better and actually feel
    comfortable in just switching out text, links, etc., for each page.

    This will give me a smooth, business type look, which is what I am looking
    for.

    For me, the breakthrough was in the subdirectories.

    BTW, I had gone through several tutorials, and some of them do not even
    contain the term "subdirectory." Others mention it only briefly and en
    passant.

    In brief, without your assistance, I would have never even known how to get
    started.

    Thank you all very much...verily, I appreciate it.

    Jim





    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    news:gmftkq$uul$...
    > I have a Yahoo website where I have posted some basic documents,
    > but, overall my HTML skills are terrible.
    >
    > I wanted to buy a simple and clean HTML template and make a simple
    > site where I could simply replace the maker's "Greek" with my own
    > text, but keep the rest of the template stayed 100% original.
    >
    > I figured to do it on Notepad and then cut-and-paste it to an empty Yahoo
    > page.
    >
    > Well, the template uses CSS style sheets. I have no idea of how to use
    > them.
    > And, even though I am sure that it is wonderful and amazing, I have no
    > desire to
    > spend hours and hours learning a skill that I'll never use again.
    >
    > A tutorial I read said, "simply put the css file and the html file in the
    > same folder and then open them together." I'm lost. I'm used to plain
    > HTML, with images (this template has one image). I'd upload them to the
    > Yahoo editor and be done quickly.
    >
    > Can this css/html even be uploaded to Yahoo? Or, can I, some way, merge

    the
    > two into html?
    >
    > Or, can someone in this group do something like that...I'll pay for the
    > work.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com
    >
    >
    >
    Jim, Feb 7, 2009
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JC
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    7,951
    Jeff C
    Jul 8, 2004
  2. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    492
    Chris Uppal
    May 5, 2005
  3. KK
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    526
    Big Brian
    Oct 14, 2003
  4. MuZZy
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,723
    Mike Hewson
    Jan 7, 2005
  5. mera
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,081
Loading...

Share This Page