HTML in XSL User-Defined Functions

Guest

I'd like to output an HTML fragment from an XSL UDF, but the HTML tags
aren't being output (just non-html values show up in the output). As a
noob, I'm probably missing some fundamental piece of info.

For instance, the following yields simply "hello" in my HTML output:

<xsl:function name="jj:test">
</xsl:function>

Also, it would be a bonus if someone would guide me to some good, free,
online XSLT (2) documentation.

Thanks,
Jamie

Martin Honnen

Martin Honnen

I'd like to output an HTML fragment from an XSL UDF, but the HTML tags
aren't being output (just non-html values show up in the output). As a
noob, I'm probably missing some fundamental piece of info.

For instance, the following yields simply "hello" in my HTML output:

<xsl:function name="jj:test">
</xsl:function>

You have not shown us how you call that function, if you do e.g.
<xsl:copy-of select="jj:test()" />
then I am sure the td element will be there in the result tree.
If you use e.g.
<xsl:value-of select="jj:test()" />
then you get what you ask for, the string value of that td element node
the function returns.

Martin Honnen

Martin said:
You have not shown us how you call that function, if you do e.g.
<xsl:copy-of select="jj:test()" />
then I am sure the td element will be there in the result tree.

I think an even better way is to use e.g.
<xsl:sequence select="jj:test()" />
as that avoids copying the node.

Joe Kesselman

Also, it would be a bonus if someone would guide me to some good, free,
online XSLT (2) documentation.

As others have said, it depends on what you want. There are a fair
number of articles/tutorials on XML-related topics on DeveloperWorks
http://www.ibm.com/xml

The XSLT FAQ website is _VERY_ useful
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/index.html
and if you're serious about this you may want to subscribe to the
mailing list it draws from, which is a bit more focused than this newsgroup:
http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

And of course the official specs are available from the W3C's website
http://www.w3.org
though reading those takes a certain amount of experience.

Mike Kay's XSLT book is _not_ free, but is a pretty darned good
human-readable reference for XSLT. I used it frequently while I was
coming up to speed.