HTML Intellisense for composite control (using datagrid)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by PiyushC, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. PiyushC

    PiyushC Guest

    Hi,
    I am developing a web composite control using datagrid, dropdown,
    linkbuttons etc.
    Its basically an extension to datagrid control to provide more
    functionality.
    The control is derived from webcontrol.
    The control has a property "Columns", which is a columns property of
    datagrid.
    Its definition is as follows :

    public DataGridColumnCollection Columns
    {
    get
    {
    EnsureChildControls();
    return dg.Columns;

    dg being the datagrid instace.

    There are couple of problems I am facing.
    1. I am not able to edit the Columns property using property window.
    It shows ... against properties, but when I click it, it opens the
    form with Add as disabled.
    I tried to apply DatagridColumnsCollectionEditor to Editor attribute,
    but in that case it gives error as "Specified cast is not valid." Is
    it because I am not deriving control from datarid ?
    2. Another problem is that, I donot get the intellisense for Columns
    property in HTML view. I have added the xsd file for my control & it
    works fine for other properties.
    Also, I can add columns in HTML view w/o intellisense & it works fine
    in runtime, but I get an error in HTML view as active schema doesnot
    support this property.

    Can anybody please help me out on these issues.
    Thanks in advance for your help & sorry for such long post.

    Piyush

    PS : I searched through net, but unable to find the answer. I am
    facing this problem since long time, please help me out on this one.

    PiyushC, Oct 26, 2004

  2. PiyushC

    WALDO Guest

    This is just off the top of my head, but:

    1. your property is ReadOnly. I'd be willing to bet that if you write
    the set, that Add button would be enabled.

    Sometimes the greatest solutions come from the simplest logic.
    Being told "No" is merely the incentive to do it anyway.

    WALDO, Oct 26, 2004

  3. PiyushC

    WALDO Guest

    WALDO, Oct 26, 2004
  4. PiyushC

    PiyushC Guest

    Thanks WALDO for your replies.
    1. The columns property of datagrid is readonly. It cannot have set
    accessor.
    2. I already got the Intellisense genrator. It works fine for all the
    properties which are attributes. The problem is for Columns property
    for which I use inner tag to define, same as datagrid. Again, if I
    write Columns tag w/o using intellisense, it works fine & columns
    property takes effect when I see it on a page. So I think the problem
    is with XSD which is generated.

    Regards,
    Piyush

    PiyushC, Oct 27, 2004