HTML-ize a server-side control

John

Hi all,

Perhaps I've drawn a blank here but is there any way for me to use the
server-side objects (perhaps the HTMLTable in conjunction with
HTMLTableCell) to create a table with multiple rows and cells and then dump
the HTMLTable object into my source?

I use these controls when I need to gain access to cells and such upon
postbacks but was wondering about doing this the other way around as opposed
to building a long string using the StringBuilder.Append method.

Perhaps build the whole table object and somehow dump it into a literal
control?

Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming...

Regards
John.

Marius Tennes Krogh

I'm not shure wether this is what you want to achieve. Anyway,
You can use the RenderControl method of the control (here Table control);
Example:

Let's say your Table-control is called tblData

Table tblData = new Table();
//Now fill your table with your data
//...
//..

System.IO.StringWriter sWriter = new System.IO.StringWriter();
HtmlTextWriter htmlWriter = new HtmlTextWriter(sWriter);
tblData.RenderControl(htmlWriter);
string htmlCodeForTable = sWriter.ToString();

Marius

addup

I know you've figured it out, but another option is to add your newly
created HTML Table as a child of an existing control

example: page.controls.add

This has additional benefits over the simple render html that I'll
leave you to discover :)