HTML Kit: Any Thoughts?

Andrew

Hi,

I was thinking of moving away from Dreamweaver to a freeware HTML
editor. I am wary of starting another 'What's your favo(u)rite editor'
so can I simply ask: has anybody had substantial experience with HTML
Kit?

Thanks,

Andrew

Chaddy2222

Andrew said:
Hi,

I was thinking of moving away from Dreamweaver to a freeware HTML
editor. I am wary of starting another 'What's your favo(u)rite editor'
so can I simply ask: has anybody had substantial experience with HTML
Kit?

Thanks,

Andrew

Yes, I like it.
It also has HTML Tidy built in so you can check your code and a range
of plug-ins, I also use NVU, http://www.nvu.com
However NVU's template feature is buggy and so might not be what you
want.

Sally Thompson

Hi,

I was thinking of moving away from Dreamweaver to a freeware HTML
editor. I am wary of starting another 'What's your favo(u)rite editor'
so can I simply ask: has anybody had substantial experience with HTML
Kit?

I loved it on second attempt. Gave up on first attempt, but then I learnt how
to configure it exactly as I wanted, and that made all the difference. The
only reason I no longer use it is that I no longer use Windows, and it's
Windows only (I did ask them!).

saz

Hi,

I was thinking of moving away from Dreamweaver to a freeware HTML
editor. I am wary of starting another 'What's your favo(u)rite editor'
so can I simply ask: has anybody had substantial experience with HTML
Kit?

Thanks,

Andrew
I've been using HTML-Kit for over 3 years, never found anything better.

Brian Cryer

Andrew said:
Hi,

I was thinking of moving away from Dreamweaver to a freeware HTML
editor. I am wary of starting another 'What's your favo(u)rite editor'
so can I simply ask: has anybody had substantial experience with HTML
Kit?

I have almost zero experience with either (sorry), but isn't Dreamweaver
WYSIWYG whereas I think HTML Kit isn't (although it does provide a preview
option).

Most people seem to think that Dreamweaver is one of the better editors, so
why are you thinking of moving away from it? (Just curious.)

wayne

Andrew said:
Hi,

I was thinking of moving away from Dreamweaver to a freeware HTML
editor. I am wary of starting another 'What's your favo(u)rite editor'
so can I simply ask: has anybody had substantial experience with HTML
Kit?

Thanks,

Andrew
If you use Linux, consider Quanta plus or Bluefish. Quanta plus has a
preview pane so you can look at your code. Also does PHP and CSS and
will manage projects.

--
Wayne
http://www.glenmeadows.us

Andrew

I have almost zero experience with either (sorry), but isn't Dreamweaver
WYSIWYG whereas I think HTML Kit isn't (although it does provide a preview
option).

Most people seem to think that Dreamweaver is one of the better editors, so
why are you thinking of moving away from it? (Just curious.)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply (and others who have taken the trouble). After
many years with Dreamweaver I am taking a firm step away from WYSIWG.
I have been using the Code View of Dreamweaver but I think a program
like HTML Kit would leave me closer to the code. Not quite ready for
Notepad though :)

Andrew

patrick j

Thanks for your reply (and others who have taken the trouble). After
many years with Dreamweaver I am taking a firm step away from WYSIWG.
I have been using the Code View of Dreamweaver but I think a program
like HTML Kit would leave me closer to the code. Not quite ready for
Notepad though :)

Hi

I think the "Code View" of Dreamweaver is pretty good.

I do have Dreamweaver installed on my computer. I was very lucky in
that I got it very very cheap indeed as I work at a University.

Anyway I don't use Dreamweaver because although the "Code View" is
pretty good I don't find myself wanting to use the "Design View" at all
and there seems to be so much of Dreamweaver that I don't want to use
but is sort of there and complicating things for me.

Although I am essentially a simple being I do like to use a
sophisticated text editor. I am very good with GREP and so GREP enabled
Find/Replace is essential as is multi-file Find/Replace. I quite like
syntax colouring as well.

I have never used HTML Kit as it doesn't run on the Mac OS but as long
as it had those things I've mentioned above then I feel I would get on
with it.

Bergamot

Andrew said:
Not quite ready for Notepad though :)

If you are considering a plain text editor, there are far better choices
than Notepad, many of which are free. A long list of editors has been
posted here many times. It shouldn't take you long to find it if you
search google groups.

My personal favorite is Crimson Editor.