    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church: http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

    Sally Thompson, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Sally Thompson

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I currently use HTML-Kit as my text editor, but I am shortly moving
    > from a Windows PC to a Mac. Is this program compatible with a Mac? I
    > have looked on their web site and it only lists compatibility with
    > Windows OS. On their home page <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/> about
    > half way down the page, there is a link: "Plugin to a Mac"; however
    > that merely takes me to a forum where there is absolutely no reference
    > to a Mac (that I can find).
    >
    > Many of you have Macs - can you advise?

    I use HTML-Kit and that question has been asked and answered in their
    forums several times.

    The answer: Not at this time, but Chami (the developer) is considering
    it for the future.

    In the future, your best source of information for a specific program is
    to ask the developer, not this newsgroup. Chami's is readily available
    on his website at http://www.chami.com/html-kit/newsgroups/

    saz, Nov 21, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    Sally Thompson <> wrote:

    > Many of you have Macs - can you advise?

    I'm not sure what HTML-Kit is. If it's a text editor, Macs come with
    one. But the premier one is BBEdit which isn't free. Its little free
    brother is called TextWrangler. Both can be found at
    <http://www.barebones.com>. If you're looking for a WYSIWYG, I can't
    advise.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Sally Thompson

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Sally Thompson <>
    >
    > I currently use HTML-Kit as my text editor, but I am shortly moving
    > from a Windows PC to a Mac. Is this program compatible with a Mac? I
    > have looked on their web site and it only lists compatibility with
    > Windows OS. On their home page <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/> about
    > half way down the page, there is a link: "Plugin to a Mac"; however
    > that merely takes me to a forum where there is absolutely no reference
    > to a Mac (that I can find).
    >
    > Many of you have Macs - can you advise?
    > --

    Actually, no one at all on alt.html except me has a Mac. And I
    can't help you directly about this kit thing. I use
    BBEdit from Barebones Software. They make quality stuff. There
    is software that might do you very nicely for OS X there, look
    them up...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Sally Thompson

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Leonard Blaisdell <>
    >
    > In article <>,
    > Sally Thompson <> wrote:
    >
    >> Many of you have Macs - can you advise?

    > I'm not sure what HTML-Kit is. If it's a text editor, Macs come with
    > one. But the premier one is BBEdit which isn't free. Its little free
    > brother is called TextWrangler. Both can be found at
    > <http://www.barebones.com>. If you're looking for a WYSIWYG, I can't
    > advise.

    oops... that's right Leo, I forgot about you! OK, there are 2 Mac users on
    alt.html...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 22, 2005
  6. In article <BFA8B9C6.1A723%>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > oops... that's right Leo, I forgot about you! OK, there are 2 Mac users on
    > alt.html...

    Surely, one or two more will make themselves known. Surely?
    At any rate, the dearth of alt.html subscribers who run Mac should make
    no impression on the ability of the OS or it's ability to create HTML
    for Ms. Thompson.
    And you and I even run different versions. She'll probably be running
    mine ;-)

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 22, 2005
  7. On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:06:00 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
    <> wrote:

    >In article <BFA8B9C6.1A723%>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >> oops... that's right Leo, I forgot about you! OK, there are 2 Mac users on
    >> alt.html...

    >Surely, one or two more will make themselves known. Surely?
    >At any rate, the dearth of alt.html subscribers who run Mac should make
    >no impression on the ability of the OS or it's ability to create HTML
    >for Ms. Thompson.
    >And you and I even run different versions. She'll probably be running
    >mine ;-)

    Perhaps all Mac users are asleep <g>. Anyway, thanks to you, saz and
    Dorayme for your comments. I'll look at BBEdit and TextWrangler.
    (HTML-Kit is just a very good text editor, for the uninitiated, not a
    WYSIWYG. It's often recommended here and in other NGs.)

    Sally Thompson, Nov 22, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    Sally Thompson <> wrote:

    > Perhaps all Mac users are asleep <g>. Anyway, thanks to you, saz and
    > Dorayme for your comments. I'll look at BBEdit and TextWrangler.

    You appear to be up early, and I know I'm up late.

    > (HTML-Kit is just a very good text editor, for the uninitiated, not a
    > WYSIWYG. It's often recommended here and in other NGs.)

    90%+ don't do TextWrangler or BBEdit. You'll be fine.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Sally Thompson

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > But the premier one is BBEdit which isn't free.

    It does look nice, but it just doesn't seem right paying £130 for a text
    editor.

    SciTE and Nedit are both good, both free, and both work on OS X if you've
    got an X server running.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 24, 2005
  10. On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:08:01 +0000, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    >
    >> But the premier one is BBEdit which isn't free.

    >It does look nice, but it just doesn't seem right paying £130 for a text
    >editor.
    >
    >SciTE and Nedit are both good, both free, and both work on OS X if you've
    >got an X server running.

    Thanks Toby. Have looked briefly at both those, and will have a
    further look when I've cleared my head from the filthy cold going
    round.

    Sally Thompson, Nov 25, 2005
  11. Sally Thompson

    drsassafras

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Smultron

    I used HTML Kit for years when I was on windows 98. When I moved to the mac I looked for something that was similar. Smultron is good I find. Not as good (if i remember correctly) as HTML Kit, but its good. You can also download HTML tidy dmg if you look for it to get the tidy functionality, as a stand alone app. Smultron seems to need more developers. Its a good app though. I tried the full version of BBEdit and did not like it for HTML & CSS coding.

    drsassafras, Jul 19, 2008
  12. Sally Thompson

    sturner

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    I know this is an old thread, but if I can find it on google then perhaps this will assist others coming afterwards.

    HTML-Kit Pro has a direct equivalent on the Mac side with SEEdit. In many ways, SEEdit is a bit easier to use. SEEdit is also HTML 5 ready.

    BBEdit is more akin to Oxygen, both are intensive text editors for programming, and support things like Java, C++, XML, etc. SEEdit is specifically intended as an HTML editor platform.

    sturner, Mar 21, 2012