HTML-Kit for Mac?

Sally Thompson

I currently use HTML-Kit as my text editor, but I am shortly moving
from a Windows PC to a Mac. Is this program compatible with a Mac? I
have looked on their web site and it only lists compatibility with
Windows OS. On their home page <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/> about
half way down the page, there is a link: "Plugin to a Mac"; however
that merely takes me to a forum where there is absolutely no reference
to a Mac (that I can find).

Many of you have Macs - can you advise?

saz

I currently use HTML-Kit as my text editor, but I am shortly moving
from a Windows PC to a Mac. Is this program compatible with a Mac? I
have looked on their web site and it only lists compatibility with
Windows OS. On their home page <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/> about
half way down the page, there is a link: "Plugin to a Mac"; however
that merely takes me to a forum where there is absolutely no reference
to a Mac (that I can find).

Many of you have Macs - can you advise?
I use HTML-Kit and that question has been asked and answered in their
forums several times.

The answer: Not at this time, but Chami (the developer) is considering
it for the future.

In the future, your best source of information for a specific program is
to ask the developer, not this newsgroup. Chami's is readily available
on his website at http://www.chami.com/html-kit/newsgroups/

Leonard Blaisdell

Sally Thompson said:
Many of you have Macs - can you advise?

I'm not sure what HTML-Kit is. If it's a text editor, Macs come with
one. But the premier one is BBEdit which isn't free. Its little free
brother is called TextWrangler. Both can be found at
<http://www.barebones.com>. If you're looking for a WYSIWYG, I can't
advise.

leo

dorayme

--

Actually, no one at all on alt.html except me has a Mac. And I
can't help you directly about this kit thing. I use

dorayme

From: Leonard Blaisdell said:
I'm not sure what HTML-Kit is. If it's a text editor, Macs come with
one. But the premier one is BBEdit which isn't free. Its little free
brother is called TextWrangler. Both can be found at
<http://www.barebones.com>. If you're looking for a WYSIWYG, I can't
advise.

oops... that's right Leo, I forgot about you! OK, there are 2 Mac users on
alt.html...

Leonard Blaisdell

dorayme said:
oops... that's right Leo, I forgot about you! OK, there are 2 Mac users on
alt.html...

Surely, one or two more will make themselves known. Surely?
At any rate, the dearth of alt.html subscribers who run Mac should make
no impression on the ability of the OS or it's ability to create HTML
for Ms. Thompson.
And you and I even run different versions. She'll probably be running
mine ;-)

leo

Sally Thompson

Surely, one or two more will make themselves known. Surely?
At any rate, the dearth of alt.html subscribers who run Mac should make
no impression on the ability of the OS or it's ability to create HTML
for Ms. Thompson.
And you and I even run different versions. She'll probably be running
mine ;-)

Perhaps all Mac users are asleep <g>. Anyway, thanks to you, saz and
Dorayme for your comments. I'll look at BBEdit and TextWrangler.
(HTML-Kit is just a very good text editor, for the uninitiated, not a
WYSIWYG. It's often recommended here and in other NGs.)

Leonard Blaisdell

Sally Thompson said:
Perhaps all Mac users are asleep <g>. Anyway, thanks to you, saz and
Dorayme for your comments. I'll look at BBEdit and TextWrangler.

You appear to be up early, and I know I'm up late.
(HTML-Kit is just a very good text editor, for the uninitiated, not a
WYSIWYG. It's often recommended here and in other NGs.)

90%+ don't do TextWrangler or BBEdit. You'll be fine.

leo

Toby Inkster

Leonard said:
But the premier one is BBEdit which isn't free.

It does look nice, but it just doesn't seem right paying £130 for a text
editor.

SciTE and Nedit are both good, both free, and both work on OS X if you've
got an X server running.

Sally Thompson

It does look nice, but it just doesn't seem right paying £130 for a text
editor.

SciTE and Nedit are both good, both free, and both work on OS X if you've
got an X server running.

Thanks Toby. Have looked briefly at both those, and will have a
further look when I've cleared my head from the filthy cold going
round.

Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Smultron

I used HTML Kit for years when I was on windows 98. When I moved to the mac I looked for something that was similar. Smultron is good I find. Not as good (if i remember correctly) as HTML Kit, but its good. You can also download HTML tidy dmg if you look for it to get the tidy functionality, as a stand alone app. Smultron seems to need more developers. Its a good app though. I tried the full version of BBEdit and did not like it for HTML & CSS coding.

Joined
Mar 21, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I know this is an old thread, but if I can find it on google then perhaps this will assist others coming afterwards.

HTML-Kit Pro has a direct equivalent on the Mac side with SEEdit. In many ways, SEEdit is a bit easier to use. SEEdit is also HTML 5 ready.

BBEdit is more akin to Oxygen, both are intensive text editors for programming, and support things like Java, C++, XML, etc. SEEdit is specifically intended as an HTML editor platform.