Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Hi!
    The page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html
    is in 4 languages. By looking "Scaiecat Spa Gigi" at www.virgilio.it

    I noticed that Virgilio
    classified it as a page that was written in Swedish, that means just in one
    of the 4 languages the site is actually written in
    So, I am wondering whether to write <html lang="sv, it, en, de">
    in the code of the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html
    would help let it be classified as a four-languages page/site.
    Best regards

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 18, 2003

  2. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    http://piology.org/news/oe-erste-schritte.html is for you
    if you can understand German.

    > The page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html
    > is in 4 languages.

    I think you mean http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/ .
    Do not omit "http://" from URLs! Only broken newsreaders display
    every string beginning with "www" as a URL.

    > So, I am wondering whether to write <html lang="sv, it, en, de">
    > in the code of the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html
    > would help let it be classified as a four-languages page/site.

    BTW: Never ever use the acute accent (´) instead of an apostrophe (').
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/apostrophe.html
    http://www.weihenstephan.org/orte/moosburg/design/apo.html

    --
    Top posting.
    What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

    Andreas Prilop, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Erm... if you use:

    How will a voice-reader know what dialect to use??? *o_O*

    Woolly Mittens, Oct 18, 2003
  4. "Andreas Prilop" <-hannover.de> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > http://piology.org/news/oe-erste-schritte.html is for you
    > if you can understand German.
    >
    > > The page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html
    > > is in 4 languages.

    Thank you for the link. I understand German, so I shall have a look at this
    site. Übrigens, darf ich Dich fragen, ob Du in Hannover wohnst?
    Wann findet die nächste Messe statt?

    > I think you mean http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/ .
    > Do not omit "http://" from URLs! Only broken newsreaders display
    > every string beginning with "www" as a URL.

    Ok.
    > > So, I am wondering whether to write <html lang="sv, it, en, de">
    > > in the code of the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html
    > > would help let it be classified as a four-languages page/site.

    ok.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Andreas Prilop <-hannover.de> wrote:

    >> So, I am wondering whether to write <html lang="sv, it, en, de">
    >> in the code of the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html would
    >> help let it be classified as a four-languages page/site.

    Or some other combination. The page seems to have equal amounts of text
    in each language, so you could pick up any of them for <html
    lang="..."> and declare the others as indicated above.

    In a sense, <html lang="..."> is illogical, since you will anyway use
    lang attributes for all major parts of the document, and
    each of the languages is present in a rather balanced way. Technically
    WAI guidelines say that it's a no-no not to declare the overall
    language (despite the fact that W3C pages themselves often do that, for
    much worse reasons). Maybe the theoretically most correct method would
    be <html lang="mul">, indicating the presence of multiple languages.
    But it shouldn't really matter, as long as each piece of the document
    has its language correctly declared.

    This is all rather theoretical. Support to lang attributes is rather
    minimal (and popular browsers use them _wrong_ if at all), though for a
    small amount of users, they will create a pleasant experience when the
    speech browser is able to apply the rules of each language and read the
    document meaningfully. But IBM Home Page Reader is the only software
    that I know that can do such a thing. Oh, and if you open the document
    in MS Word, for proofreading, it will recognize those attributes and
    apply the spelling rules of each language, if you have a good enough
    version and installation of MS Word.

    On the practical side, I strongly recommend against _pages_ with
    multiple languages (as opposite to _sites_ with pages in different
    languages), unless the content of the page itself is essentially
    bilingual or multilingual (such as a dictionary or parallel texts for
    various studies).

    The reason is simple. For any language pair A and B, the amount of
    people who know A and B well enough to feel at home on a bilingual page
    is much smaller than the amount of people who know A _or_ B well.
    Besides, if I know both languages well, why would I need the text in
    both of them? (There _can_ be cases, like poor instructions that need
    by checked by comparing them against other language versions. But they
    can be left to users, simply by giving them links to the other
    versions.)

    The mere existence of foreign-language texts on a page is alienating to
    many people. For the vast majority of mankind, at least three of the
    four chunks on a four-language page are effectively just a mess. You do
    need a language selection page (since language negotiation cannot yet
    be relied upon), but it should be a _very_ simple page. Hardly more
    than one short sentence in each language - maybe just the page title in
    the language, together with _an_ image on the page for illustrating
    what it is about.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 19, 2003