    interested).

    The site is at:
    http://s94621231.onlinehome.us

    noSpAm0000, May 1, 2005

  2. noSpAm0000 wrote:

    > I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites. It
    > started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any suggestions for

    I guess it *did*. :)

    Very nice.

    I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not going
    to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
    use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?

    How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 1, 2005

  3. noSpAm0000

    noSpAm0000 Guest

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 05:02:54 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > noSpAm0000 wrote:
    >
    >> I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites. It
    >> started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any suggestions for

    > I guess it *did*. :)
    >
    > Very nice.
    >
    > I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not going
    > to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
    > use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?
    >
    >> other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm going to

    > How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html

    Thanks for the link to that site. I added it. I'm just reading through
    your site now. I added a link to your page with Usenet info on it. I'm
    debating whether to redo my site in Mambo or something like Drupal. I
    still can't think of a domain name.

    Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece of
    software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that and a
    newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard the
    arguements against it and I am curious.

    Thanks

    noSpAm0000, May 1, 2005
  4. noSpAm0000 wrote:

    > Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece of
    > software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that and a
    > newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard the
    > arguements against it and I am curious.

    There are *lots* of hit and run spammers using throw-away GG accounts - and
    Google never follow up complaints about them.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 1, 2005
  5. [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    noSpAm0000 wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 May 2005 05:02:54 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> noSpAm0000 wrote:

    >>> I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites.
    >>> It started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any
    >>> suggestions for

    >> I guess it *did*. :)

    >> Very nice.

    >> I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not
    >> going to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
    >> use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?

    >>> other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm
    >>> going to

    >> How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html

    > Thanks for the link to that site. I added it. I'm just reading
    > through your site now. I added a link to your page with Usenet info
    > on it. I'm debating whether to redo my site in Mambo or something
    > like Drupal. I still can't think of a domain name.

    > Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece
    > of software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that
    > and a newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard
    > the arguements against it and I am curious.

    I note that David D. has already responded to that question, too, from
    another perspective. I don't see the spam myself, because my feed has
    good filtering, so thanks, David, for that contribution.

    My own opinions...

    <rant>

    Usenet doesn't need to be webified, and many of the users that post to
    it via GoogleGroups (and other web-based gateways, but more on that in a
    moment) know nothing about using it: quoting, snipping, attributing,
    etc. Or even what the hell it *is*. And these unnecessary clunky
    gateways don't help at all -- particularly the ones that try to take
    credit for them by making Usenet groups look like their own onsite
    resources. (Tech Note: It's fixed now, but for a while GG was even
    screwing up the References headers; if GG doesn't know how *they* work,
    they have no business writing an interface.)

    GG is just the most visible example. They all suck.

    Here's my boilerplate for web-gateway-posted Usenet posts:

    <paste>

    USENET THEFT

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
    fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
    some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
    IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
    capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
    control of your own Usenet experience.

    [1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
    which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
    that wasn't meant for webification.

    </paste>

    I'm pretty tool-oriented, so I similarly don't pound nails with a band
    saw or tighten bolts with a bread knife; and frankly don't respect the
    skills of those who do and don't wish to share a workshop with them.

    </rant>

    I don't contribute much on-topic stuff in here and a.w.w, because I'm a
    novice and I'm here to learn from the gurus. Being no wizard, my
    on-topic contributions are pretty much limited to the occasional
    page-check in a browser that a poster doesn't have installed. But I do
    know Usenet, know what a resource it is, respect it, know how it works,
    know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
    want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the short
    rant on something else that I was asked about that I do understand. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 1, 2005
  6. noSpAm0000

    noSpAm0000 Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 22:46:31 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
    > want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the short
    > rant on something else that I was asked about that I do understand. :)

    Ok... you convinced me. I am taking off my reference to GoogleGroups from
    my site :) I'll just leave my "Thunderbird" link there...

    noSpAm0000, May 2, 2005
  7. Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    noSpAm0000 wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 May 2005 22:46:31 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
    >> want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the
    >> short rant on something else that I was asked about that I do
    >> understand. :)

    > Ok... you convinced me. I am taking off my reference to GoogleGroups
    > from my site :) I'll just leave my "Thunderbird" link there...

    Damn...I'm good. ;)

    (Seriously, I expected two things {which will probably still come}:
    apologists for the web interfaces, and a certain real-name zealot's
    attempted sting about the use of nicks instead of real (sounding) names
    on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf ears of this responsibly-posting
    Usenet user.)

    PS I'd forgot that you had that GG pitch, there, although I did notice
    it, now that you've reminded me.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  8. noSpAm0000

    noSpAm0000 Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:42:09 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > (Seriously, I expected two things {which will probably still come}:
    > apologists for the web interfaces, and a certain real-name zealot's
    > attempted sting about the use of nicks instead of real (sounding) names
    > on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf ears of this responsibly-posting
    > Usenet user.)
    >
    > PS I'd forgot that you had that GG pitch, there, although I did notice
    > it, now that you've reminded me.

    My general theme of the page is to help friends get started on web
    design -- and letting them know that everything can be free. When I
    started learning HTML I thought that I would need to buy all kinds of
    software like Photoshop and Macromedia, a FTP program, and XP pro for
    ASP.NET. Luckily I found out about free software, Apache, PHP/MySQL,
    Filezilla, HTML kit, etc. Google Groups is junk (bugs and spying) but I
    figured it was a free way for people to get started. I tried free
    newsgroup access a couple of times and it wasn't very reliable so now I
    pay $4/month for it. I won't recommend Google Groups anymore though.

    J.
    ------------------------------
    http://s94621231.onlinehome.us

    noSpAm0000, May 2, 2005
  9. Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    noSpAm0000 wrote:

    > My general theme of the page is to help friends get started on web
    > design -- and letting them know that everything can be free. When I

    Yes, I like your mission.

    My main group used to be alt.comp.freeware, for much the same reasons.

    I still have a few legacy bits of Win freeware at Blinkynet; that was
    one of my reasons for creating its first incarnation.

    > started learning HTML I thought that I would need to buy all kinds of
    > software like Photoshop and Macromedia, a FTP program, and XP pro for
    > ASP.NET. Luckily I found out about free software, Apache, PHP/MySQL,
    > Filezilla, HTML kit, etc. Google Groups is junk (bugs and spying) but I

    I was pleased to see that you covered The GIMP, too.

    > figured it was a free way for people to get started. I tried free
    > newsgroup access a couple of times and it wasn't very reliable so now I
    > pay $4/month for it. I won't recommend Google Groups anymore though.

    If you don't need bins and that one ever goes tits up, consider
    news.individual.net. $13US a year, very reliable, good spam filtering.

    Hey, why not replace the GG info with that one? There are other users
    of it, here, if you want a second or third opinion. (They were free until
    April 1st, ack Shirley.)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  10. noSpAm0000

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > a certain real-name zealot's attempted sting about the use of nicks
    > instead of real (sounding) names on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf
    > ears of this responsibly-posting Usenet user.

    I don't see why you're bothered Blinky. You post using your real name,
    right?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 2, 2005
  11. noSpAm0000

    Els Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> a certain real-name zealot's attempted sting about the use of nicks
    >> instead of real (sounding) names on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf
    >> ears of this responsibly-posting Usenet user.

    > I don't see why you're bothered Blinky. You post using your real name,
    > right?

    Of course he is - he's even got his x-face showing a picture of
    himself for verification.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, May 2, 2005
  12. noSpAm0000

    noSpAm0000 Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 02:53:18 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > If you don't need bins and that one ever goes tits up, consider
    > news.individual.net. $13US a year, very reliable, good spam filtering.
    >
    > Hey, why not replace the GG info with that one? There are other users
    > of it, here, if you want a second or third opinion. (They were free until
    > April 1st, ack Shirley.)

    Thanks for the tip. I added it to the page and will upload it on the next
    upload (probably later tonight).

    noSpAm0000, May 4, 2005
  13. Re: [OT] Re: HTML Links site

    noSpAm0000 wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 May 2005 02:53:18 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> If you don't need bins and that one ever goes tits up, consider
    >> news.individual.net. $13US a year, very reliable, good spam
    >> filtering.

    >> Hey, why not replace the GG info with that one? There are other
    >> users of it, here, if you want a second or third opinion. (They were
    >> free until April 1st, ack Shirley.)

    > Thanks for the tip. I added it to the page and will upload it on the
    > next upload (probably later tonight).

    I'm glad you made it through my garbled writing, which was supposed to
    say something like, "If you don't need bins and want one that never goes
    tits up..." :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 4, 2005