HTML Links site

Guest

I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites. It
started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any suggestions for
other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm going to
redo it with a CMS of some kind and get a real domain name for it. I
realize that there already hundreds of sites that do this, but this is my
version, personalized for people that I know (and anyone else who might be
interested).

The site is at:
http://s94621231.onlinehome.us

Blinky the Shark

noSpAm0000 said:
I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites. It
started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any suggestions for

I guess it *did*. :)

Very nice.

I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not going
to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?
other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm going to

How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html

Guest

I guess it *did*. :)

Very nice.

I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not going
to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?

How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html

Thanks for the link to that site. I added it. I'm just reading through
your site now. I added a link to your page with Usenet info on it. I'm
debating whether to redo my site in Mambo or something like Drupal. I
still can't think of a domain name.

Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece of
software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that and a
newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard the
arguements against it and I am curious.

Thanks

David Dorward

noSpAm0000 said:
Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece of
software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that and a
newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard the
arguements against it and I am curious.

There are *lots* of hit and run spammers using throw-away GG accounts - and
Google never follow up complaints about them.

Blinky the Shark

Thanks for the link to that site. I added it. I'm just reading
through your site now. I added a link to your page with Usenet info
on it. I'm debating whether to redo my site in Mambo or something
like Drupal. I still can't think of a domain name.
Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece
of software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that
and a newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard
the arguements against it and I am curious.

I note that David D. has already responded to that question, too, from
another perspective. I don't see the spam myself, because my feed has
good filtering, so thanks, David, for that contribution.

My own opinions...

<rant>

Usenet doesn't need to be webified, and many of the users that post to
it via GoogleGroups (and other web-based gateways, but more on that in a
moment) know nothing about using it: quoting, snipping, attributing,
etc. Or even what the hell it *is*. And these unnecessary clunky
gateways don't help at all -- particularly the ones that try to take
credit for them by making Usenet groups look like their own onsite
resources. (Tech Note: It's fixed now, but for a while GG was even
screwing up the References headers; if GG doesn't know how *they* work,
they have no business writing an interface.)

GG is just the most visible example. They all suck.

Here's my boilerplate for web-gateway-posted Usenet posts:

<paste>

USENET THEFT

You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
control of your own Usenet experience.

[1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
that wasn't meant for webification.

</paste>

I'm pretty tool-oriented, so I similarly don't pound nails with a band
saw or tighten bolts with a bread knife; and frankly don't respect the
skills of those who do and don't wish to share a workshop with them.

</rant>

I don't contribute much on-topic stuff in here and a.w.w, because I'm a
novice and I'm here to learn from the gurus. Being no wizard, my
on-topic contributions are pretty much limited to the occasional
page-check in a browser that a poster doesn't have installed. But I do
know Usenet, know what a resource it is, respect it, know how it works,
know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the short
rant on something else that I was asked about that I do understand. :)

Guest

know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the short
rant on something else that I was asked about that I do understand. :)

Ok... you convinced me. I am taking off my reference to GoogleGroups from
my site :) I'll just leave my "Thunderbird" link there...

Blinky the Shark

Ok... you convinced me. I am taking off my reference to GoogleGroups
from my site :) I'll just leave my "Thunderbird" link there...

Damn...I'm good. ;)

(Seriously, I expected two things {which will probably still come}:
apologists for the web interfaces, and a certain real-name zealot's
attempted sting about the use of nicks instead of real (sounding) names
on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf ears of this responsibly-posting
Usenet user.)

PS I'd forgot that you had that GG pitch, there, although I did notice
it, now that you've reminded me.

Guest

(Seriously, I expected two things {which will probably still come}:
apologists for the web interfaces, and a certain real-name zealot's
attempted sting about the use of nicks instead of real (sounding) names
on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf ears of this responsibly-posting
Usenet user.)

PS I'd forgot that you had that GG pitch, there, although I did notice
it, now that you've reminded me.

My general theme of the page is to help friends get started on web
design -- and letting them know that everything can be free. When I
started learning HTML I thought that I would need to buy all kinds of
software like Photoshop and Macromedia, a FTP program, and XP pro for
ASP.NET. Luckily I found out about free software, Apache, PHP/MySQL,
Filezilla, HTML kit, etc. Google Groups is junk (bugs and spying) but I
figured it was a free way for people to get started. I tried free
newsgroup access a couple of times and it wasn't very reliable so now I
pay $4/month for it. I won't recommend Google Groups anymore though.

J.

Blinky the Shark

noSpAm0000 said:
My general theme of the page is to help friends get started on web
design -- and letting them know that everything can be free. When I

Yes, I like your mission.

My main group used to be alt.comp.freeware, for much the same reasons.

I still have a few legacy bits of Win freeware at Blinkynet; that was
one of my reasons for creating its first incarnation.
started learning HTML I thought that I would need to buy all kinds of
software like Photoshop and Macromedia, a FTP program, and XP pro for
ASP.NET. Luckily I found out about free software, Apache, PHP/MySQL,
Filezilla, HTML kit, etc. Google Groups is junk (bugs and spying) but I

I was pleased to see that you covered The GIMP, too.
figured it was a free way for people to get started. I tried free
newsgroup access a couple of times and it wasn't very reliable so now I
pay $4/month for it. I won't recommend Google Groups anymore though.

If you don't need bins and that one ever goes tits up, consider
news.individual.net. $13US a year, very reliable, good spam filtering.

Hey, why not replace the GG info with that one? There are other users
of it, here, if you want a second or third opinion. (They were free until
April 1st, ack Shirley.)

Toby Inkster

Blinky said:
a certain real-name zealot's attempted sting about the use of nicks
instead of real (sounding) names on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf
ears of this responsibly-posting Usenet user.

I don't see why you're bothered Blinky. You post using your real name,
right?

Els

Toby said:
I don't see why you're bothered Blinky. You post using your real name,
right?

Of course he is - he's even got his x-face showing a picture of
himself for verification.

Guest

If you don't need bins and that one ever goes tits up, consider
news.individual.net. $13US a year, very reliable, good spam filtering.

Hey, why not replace the GG info with that one? There are other users
of it, here, if you want a second or third opinion. (They were free until
April 1st, ack Shirley.)

Thanks for the tip. I added it to the page and will upload it on the next
upload (probably later tonight).

Blinky the Shark

Thanks for the tip. I added it to the page and will upload it on the
next upload (probably later tonight).

I'm glad you made it through my garbled writing, which was supposed to
say something like, "If you don't need bins and want one that never goes
tits up..." :)