HTML menu in a table

Dave's not Here

I don't have much experience with anything beyond the most rudimentary
html, and I'd like to make a simple web site of mine a little easier to
manage.

I'd like to find a code snippet that I can tweak that will provide me
with an easy to maintain menu system.

What I'd like is a horizontal menu that is loaded into an empty table
cell. The menu should reside in it's own file, so that changes to the
menu can be made there, and not on every page on the site as it lamely
is now.

I'd like to be able to control the following features in the menu:
- background color
- text color
- mouseover text color
- followed link text color
- some menu nesting would be nice, but no more than one level is needed
- loads itself into a blank table cell that exists on each web page
- etc etc

I've figured out that importing an html file into the cell won't work -
it doesn't provide for easy updating. What is it I am after? DHTML ?

I'm sure there are a few ways to solve this. What I'm looking for is
something relatively simple, code that is straightforward to understand,
and above all, easy to tweak and maintain.

Yes, I've seen a plethora of sites out there that offer cheap or free
downloads of some very nice looking menuing systems, but I think all I
need is something much more basic.

Any pointers, links or even code snippets would be GREATLY appreciated.

Please reply in the newsgroup as my e-mail posting address is bogus.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dave's not Here
I don't have much experience with anything beyond the most rudimentary
html, and I'd like to make a simple web site of mine a little easier to
manage.

You should learn more HTML and start learning CSS. Neither are difficult.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

What I'd like is a horizontal menu that is loaded into an empty table
cell. The menu should reside in it's own file, so that changes to the
menu can be made there, and not on every page on the site as it lamely
is now.

Okay, here we go. Is this table for tabular data, or is it for
presentation? If it's not for tabular data, then don't use a table.
I'd like to be able to control the following features in the menu:
- background color

background-color: #fff;
- text color

color: #000;
- mouseover text color

background-color: #FFFF00; color: #0000FF
- followed link text color

color: #800080; background-color: #fff;
- some menu nesting would be nice, but no more than one level is needed

lots of ways to achieve this, but until you understand CSS more, let's stay
with one level
- loads itself into a blank table cell that exists on each web page

Again, if it's not tabular data, don't use a table. You want to use an
include. Depending on what your hosting service provides, you have several
options. See above.
- etc etc

I've figured out that importing an html file into the cell won't work -
it doesn't provide for easy updating. What is it I am after? DHTML ?

CSS and server side include of your hosting service provides it, or a
preprocessor if they don't.
I'm sure there are a few ways to solve this. What I'm looking for is
something relatively simple, code that is straightforward to understand,
and above all, easy to tweak and maintain.

Yes, I've seen a plethora of sites out there that offer cheap or free
downloads of some very nice looking menuing systems, but I think all I
need is something much more basic.

Any pointers, links or even code snippets would be GREATLY appreciated.

Google for CSS horizontal menu, you will find a myriad choices.