HTML menu in a table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dave's not Here, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. I don't have much experience with anything beyond the most rudimentary
    html, and I'd like to make a simple web site of mine a little easier to
    manage.

    I'd like to find a code snippet that I can tweak that will provide me
    with an easy to maintain menu system.

    What I'd like is a horizontal menu that is loaded into an empty table
    cell. The menu should reside in it's own file, so that changes to the
    menu can be made there, and not on every page on the site as it lamely
    is now.

    I'd like to be able to control the following features in the menu:
    - background color
    - text color
    - mouseover text color
    - followed link text color
    - some menu nesting would be nice, but no more than one level is needed
    - loads itself into a blank table cell that exists on each web page
    - etc etc

    I've figured out that importing an html file into the cell won't work -
    it doesn't provide for easy updating. What is it I am after? DHTML ?

    I'm sure there are a few ways to solve this. What I'm looking for is
    something relatively simple, code that is straightforward to understand,
    and above all, easy to tweak and maintain.

    Yes, I've seen a plethora of sites out there that offer cheap or free
    downloads of some very nice looking menuing systems, but I think all I
    need is something much more basic.

    Any pointers, links or even code snippets would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Please reply in the newsgroup as my e-mail posting address is bogus.
    Dave's not Here, Jun 16, 2005

  2. David Dorward, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Dave's not Here

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dave's not Here
    <> writing in news:D8gse.5544$El.3048@pd7tw1no:

    > I don't have much experience with anything beyond the most rudimentary
    > html, and I'd like to make a simple web site of mine a little easier to
    > manage.

    You should learn more HTML and start learning CSS. Neither are difficult.

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    > What I'd like is a horizontal menu that is loaded into an empty table
    > cell. The menu should reside in it's own file, so that changes to the
    > menu can be made there, and not on every page on the site as it lamely
    > is now.

    Okay, here we go. Is this table for tabular data, or is it for
    presentation? If it's not for tabular data, then don't use a table.

    > I'd like to be able to control the following features in the menu:
    > - background color

    background-color: #fff;

    > - text color

    color: #000;

    > - mouseover text color

    background-color: #FFFF00; color: #0000FF

    > - followed link text color

    color: #800080; background-color: #fff;

    > - some menu nesting would be nice, but no more than one level is needed

    lots of ways to achieve this, but until you understand CSS more, let's stay
    with one level

    > - loads itself into a blank table cell that exists on each web page

    Again, if it's not tabular data, don't use a table. You want to use an
    include. Depending on what your hosting service provides, you have several
    options. See above.

    > - etc etc
    >
    > I've figured out that importing an html file into the cell won't work -
    > it doesn't provide for easy updating. What is it I am after? DHTML ?

    CSS and server side include of your hosting service provides it, or a
    preprocessor if they don't.

    > I'm sure there are a few ways to solve this. What I'm looking for is
    > something relatively simple, code that is straightforward to understand,
    > and above all, easy to tweak and maintain.
    >
    > Yes, I've seen a plethora of sites out there that offer cheap or free
    > downloads of some very nice looking menuing systems, but I think all I
    > need is something much more basic.
    >
    > Any pointers, links or even code snippets would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Google for CSS horizontal menu, you will find a myriad choices.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Jun 16, 2005