    Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a good program or script
    that will convert characters to the respective html entity. All
    characters, not just special.
    Mangler, Nov 27, 2008

  2. Mangler

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 27, 2008

  3. Mangler

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 27, 2008
  4. Mangler

    Mangler Guest

    Thank you for assuming I am lazy and did not search before posting,
    however I do understand completely why you did that so no hard
    feelings.

    http://www.intelliwebtools.com/node/182

    That does what I want but I am looking and have been looking for quite
    some time for an actual program that I can install on my computer for
    use. This way I wont have to rely on an internet connection to get
    the job done all the time. My fault in the OP, I should have
    specifically said program and left out script.
    Mangler, Nov 27, 2008
  5. Mangler

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Mangler" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you for assuming I am lazy and did not search before posting,
    > however I do understand completely why you did that so no hard
    > feelings.
    >
    > http://www.intelliwebtools.com/node/182
    >
    > That does what I want but I am looking and have been looking for quite
    > some time for an actual program that I can install on my computer for
    > use. This way I wont have to rely on an internet connection to get
    > the job done all the time. My fault in the OP, I should have
    > specifically said program and left out script.

    Are you running Windows?
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 27, 2008
  6. Mangler

    Mangler Guest

    Yes
    Mangler, Nov 27, 2008
  7. Mangler

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 27, 2008
  8. Mangler wrote:

    > Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a good program or script
    > that will convert characters to the respective html entity. All
    > characters, not just special.

    You are not very specific in your question, and as you have seen, you will
    then get unspecific answers, and you might even get flamed.

    The important question, however, is why you would do this.

    Let me guess... you want to obfuscate something. Why don't you just tell
    what you really want, and we will tell you how to _really_ achieve that, or
    why it is a stupid stupid idea, or both?

    In case you have some special reason to use entity references, it would
    surely be simplest to use (numeric) character references. Then the operation
    becomes fairly trivial as soon as you know the context and environment in
    which the program would be used and what kind(s) of input data encodings
    need to be supported.

    The question makes little sense in the HTML, since in HTML,
    markup-significant characters _must not_ be represented as entity or
    character references.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 27, 2008
  9. Mangler

    Mangler Guest

    > You are not very specific in your question, and as you have seen, you will
    > then get unspecific answers, and you might even get flamed.

    I asked for a program that would convert characters to entities, whats
    not specific about that?

    > The important question, however, is why you would do this.
    >
    > Let me guess... you want to obfuscate something. Why don't you just tell
    > what you really want, and we will tell you how to _really_ achieve that, or
    > why it is a stupid stupid idea, or both?

    I have no plans to obfuscate anything, just want to play around with
    entities and have a program to use as a reference if need be. I am in
    the process of slowly teaching myself hand coding things instead of
    using a GUI like DW, is it not reasonable to want to learn all
    aspects of something?

    Nik, thats a lot! That is exactly what I needed, nothing overly
    complex and something I can use as a quick reference without looking
    things up in a chart. Your the man!
    Mangler, Nov 28, 2008
  10. Mangler wrote:

    >> You are not very specific in your question, and as you have seen,
    >> you will then get unspecific answers, and you might even get flamed.

    > I asked for a program that would convert characters to entities, whats
    > not specific about that?

    More than you can imagine, it seems. To begin with, there is no entity for
    most characters, and you didn't really mean entities. If you re-read my
    first reply, you'll see some other issues pointed out rather explicitly.

    > I have no plans to obfuscate anything, just want to play around with
    > entities and have a program to use as a reference if need be.

    Sounds pointless, so it's apparently pointless to try to help you any more.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 28, 2008
  11. Mangler

    Mangler Guest

    > Sounds pointless, so it's apparently pointless to try to help you any more.

    Not asking for your help specifically so ignore the post, what is
    pointless to you ( and I respect your opinion because you are aloud to
    voice it ) may not be to someone else. Besides, someone here
    understood what I was talking about and helped rather quickly.
    Mangler, Nov 28, 2008