html objects in javascript

J Weaver

Beginner question -> Can someone point me to reference that lists html
objects and their associated objects in javascript? For instance, I
think that

document.someForm.someSelect.options

provides access to the options array in a SELECT object. This seems
straight-forward enough, but I can't find a reference that maps things
like this out plainly for us noobs. I wonder especially about methods
that might be available on these objects - or is that up to the
particular DOM? ..confused

Appreciate any help!

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

J Weaver said:
Beginner question -> Can someone point me to reference that lists html
objects and their associated objects in javascript? For instance, I
think that

document.someForm.someSelect.options

I would prefer
document.forms['someForm'].elements['someSelect'].options
but the above will work in most browsers.
provides access to the options array in a SELECT object. This seems
straight-forward enough, but I can't find a reference that maps things
like this out plainly for us noobs.

The most "official" source would be the W3C DOM specifications.
<URL:http://www.w3.org/DOM/Activity.html>
You will mostly need the DOM 2 Core, HTML, and Events specifications.

You did say for noobies though, so unless you are used to reading
specifications, it is probably a little too dense.

Both Netscape (via Mozilla) and Microsoft have DOM references for
their browsers.

<URL:http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/>
I wonder especially about methods
that might be available on these objects - or is that up to the
particular DOM? ..confused

It is mostly standardized, but with proprietary extensions.

/L