    that might be available on these objects - or is that up to the
    particular DOM? ..confused

    Appreciate any help!

    J Weaver, Nov 7, 2003

  2. J Weaver <> writes:

    > Beginner question -> Can someone point me to reference that lists html
    > objects and their associated objects in javascript? For instance, I
    > think that
    >

    > document.someForm.someSelect.options

    I would prefer
    document.forms['someForm'].elements['someSelect'].options
    but the above will work in most browsers.

    > provides access to the options array in a SELECT object. This seems
    > straight-forward enough, but I can't find a reference that maps things
    > like this out plainly for us noobs.

    The most "official" source would be the W3C DOM specifications.
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/DOM/Activity.html>
    You will mostly need the DOM 2 Core, HTML, and Events specifications.

    You did say for noobies though, so unless you are used to reading
    specifications, it is probably a little too dense.

    Both Netscape (via Mozilla) and Microsoft have DOM references for
    their browsers.

    <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/>
    <URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/dhtml_node_entry.asp>

    > I wonder especially about methods
    > that might be available on these objects - or is that up to the
    > particular DOM? ..confused

    It is mostly standardized, but with proprietary extensions.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Nov 7, 2003