HTML on Mac interpreted as text. Help?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chris Beall, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Chris Beall

    Chris Beall Guest

    (Was 'HTML editor for Mac?')

    I use Windows. My daughter has a Mac (OSX 10.2.8, I think). She is far
    away, so I can't look over her shoulder.

    She is trying to create a web page. She has used two programs,
    Textedit and Appleworks, to generate source files. When these source
    files are opened by Safari, they are displayed as...source files, i.e.
    the HTML tags are displayed as written and are not actioned. Safari
    does not recognize the files as HTML.

    The file has been given an .html extension.
    She has tried dragging the file and dropping it on Safari.
    She has tried opening Safari and then doing a File, Open on the source file.
    She has tried opening the file with IE:
    - If the file was created with Appleworks, IE displays the source.
    - If the file was created with Textedit, IE says it doesn't know how
    to open that kind of file.

    There's clearly some basic concept she is missing here. I am no help.
    I did some searches on the Apple website, but it's hard to even come up
    with search terms for this situation.

    The simplest file she tested contained only two lines:
    <html>
    Hi!

    I know that wouldn't get through the W3C validator, but on Windows, if
    such a file has an .html extension, it is correctly displayed as simply
    "Hi!".

    Anybody know what the missing link is?

    Thanks,
    Chris Beall
     
    Chris Beall, Dec 8, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <nvNlf.140$>,
    Chris Beall <> wrote:

    > The file has been given an .html extension.
    > She has tried dragging the file and dropping it on Safari.
    > She has tried opening Safari and then doing a File, Open on the source file.
    > She has tried opening the file with IE:
    > - If the file was created with Appleworks, IE displays the source.
    > - If the file was created with Textedit, IE says it doesn't know how
    > to open that kind of file.


    I believe, but could be wrong, that Textedit saves as RTF by default. No
    idea why. I have no idea what the default for Appleworks is, but I doubt
    it's text. Have her make sure she doesn't do a 'Save' but does do a
    'Save As' on her file, and saves as text.

    > Anybody know what the missing link is?


    We'll see. It shouldn't be this tough.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
     
    Leonard Blaisdell, Dec 8, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Chris Beall

    Vhit Guest

    <alt.html , Chris Beall , >
    <nvNlf.140$>
    <Thu, 08 Dec 2005 03:11:15 GMT>

    > There's clearly some basic concept she is missing here. I am no help.
    > I did some searches on the Apple website, but it's hard to even come up
    > with search terms for this situation.
    >


    http://www.google.co.uk/search?
    hl=en&q=Safari+displaying+html+tags&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    Or if that wraps for you www.vhit.co.uk/?url=1000385

    Clicking on the first link says other people sometimes have the same
    problem and apparently 'to them' its a known bug in safari .


    --
    www.vhit.co.uk
    (create a short url)
    www.vhit.co.uk/?poll=1000012
    www.vhit.co.uk/?poll=1000014
     
    Vhit, Dec 8, 2005
    #3
  4. Chris Beall

    Chris Beall Guest

    Vhit wrote:
    > <alt.html , Chris Beall , >
    > <nvNlf.140$>
    > <Thu, 08 Dec 2005 03:11:15 GMT>
    >
    >>There's clearly some basic concept she is missing here. I am no help.
    >>I did some searches on the Apple website, but it's hard to even come up
    >>with search terms for this situation.
    >>

    >
    >
    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?
    > hl=en&q=Safari+displaying+html+tags&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    >
    > Or if that wraps for you www.vhit.co.uk/?url=1000385
    >
    > Clicking on the first link says other people sometimes have the same
    > problem and apparently 'to them' its a known bug in safari .
    >
    >

    Vhit,

    Thanks for reminding me to try Google along with Apple-specific
    resources. Unfortunately, I don't think it helps in this case. The
    specific entry you pointed to seems to represent an intermittent
    problem, whereas this is a solid one and almost certainly a user error.
    See Leondard's post following yours.

    Thanks,
    Chris Beall
     
    Chris Beall, Dec 8, 2005
    #4
  5. Chris Beall

    Chris Beall Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > In article <nvNlf.140$>,
    > Chris Beall <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>The file has been given an .html extension.
    >>She has tried dragging the file and dropping it on Safari.
    >>She has tried opening Safari and then doing a File, Open on the source file.
    >>She has tried opening the file with IE:
    >> - If the file was created with Appleworks, IE displays the source.
    >> - If the file was created with Textedit, IE says it doesn't know how
    >>to open that kind of file.

    >
    >
    > I believe, but could be wrong, that Textedit saves as RTF by default. No
    > idea why. I have no idea what the default for Appleworks is, but I doubt
    > it's text. Have her make sure she doesn't do a 'Save' but does do a
    > 'Save As' on her file, and saves as text.


    leo,

    I think you've hit on it. I've forwarded the info and will post back
    when I get a response.

    Thanks,
    Chris Beall
     
    Chris Beall, Dec 8, 2005
    #5
  6. Chris Beall

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Chris Beall <>
    >
    > (Was 'HTML editor for Mac?')
    >
    > I use Windows. My daughter has a Mac (OSX 10.2.8, I think). She is far away,
    > so I can't look over her shoulder.
    >
    > She is trying to create a web page. She has used two programs, ..... snip
    >
    > Anybody know what the missing link is?
    >



    It seems that much advice I gave previously was rather more
    geared to the way folk work in OS 9. I am now starting to use X
    myself and can see things are considerably different.

    I tried some experiments in TextEdit, the
    not-as-basic-as-it-could-be-but-still-fairly-basic) editor prgm
    that comes in the latest X (Tiger).

    Your daughter might find the following helpful:

    (1) Open TextEdit.

    (2) Go to menu at top: TextEdit/preferences

    (3) At top of the pref window there are 2 tabs. "New Document"
    and "Open and Save". In the former, set to "plain text", "wrap
    to page" and nothing else really. In the latter, tick the
    "Ignore rich text commands in html files"

    (4) Open a new window and type up some html, even the snippet
    you mention! Now "file/save as" and give it a name and .html and
    a folder where she wants to keep her website files.

    When she double clicks this file it should (and does on my
    machine in X) open as a website page. To edit it:

    (1) Open this file
    by first clicking keybard Control key and holding mouse down.
    this brings up a contextual menu.

    (2) Choose "Open
    with" and textEdit will be one option ("other" allows her to
    search for other text editors or word processors). This will now
    open the html file and she can edit it at will.

    (3) Simple "Save" now and the changes will show up on simple double click of
    file in Safari or drag and drop over Safari window (and even probably
    the pgm Icon instead). When editing is necessary, the important thing is
    to remember to "Open with" the text editor.

    That is the best i can do at the moment. I have tested this and
    it works. It horrifies me, but I am stuck in old easy habits and
    will doubtless learn easier new and more effortless tricks...

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Dec 8, 2005
    #6
  7. Chris Beall

    Chris Beall Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <nvNlf.140$>,
    > Chris Beall <> wrote:

    (snip)
    > I believe, but could be wrong, that Textedit saves as RTF by default. No
    > idea why. I have no idea what the default for Appleworks is, but I doubt
    > it's text. Have her make sure she doesn't do a 'Save' but does do a
    > 'Save As' on her file, and saves as text.

    (snip)
    > leo
    >

    leo,

    That was the problem. All is now well.

    Thanks,
    Chris Beall
     
    Chris Beall, Dec 9, 2005
    #7
  8. Chris Beall

    Chris Beall Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    >>From: Chris Beall <>
    >>
    >>(Was 'HTML editor for Mac?')
    >>
    >>I use Windows. My daughter has a Mac (OSX 10.2.8, I think). She is far away,
    >>so I can't look over her shoulder.
    >>
    >>She is trying to create a web page. She has used two programs, ..... snip
    >>
    >>Anybody know what the missing link is?
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > It seems that much advice I gave previously was rather more
    > geared to the way folk work in OS 9. I am now starting to use X
    > myself and can see things are considerably different.
    >
    > I tried some experiments in TextEdit, the
    > not-as-basic-as-it-could-be-but-still-fairly-basic) editor prgm
    > that comes in the latest X (Tiger).
    >
    > Your daughter might find the following helpful:
    >
    > (1) Open TextEdit.
    >
    > (2) Go to menu at top: TextEdit/preferences
    >
    > (3) At top of the pref window there are 2 tabs. "New Document"
    > and "Open and Save". In the former, set to "plain text", "wrap
    > to page" and nothing else really. In the latter, tick the
    > "Ignore rich text commands in html files"
    >
    > (4) Open a new window and type up some html, even the snippet
    > you mention! Now "file/save as" and give it a name and .html and
    > a folder where she wants to keep her website files.
    >
    > When she double clicks this file it should (and does on my
    > machine in X) open as a website page. To edit it:
    >
    > (1) Open this file
    > by first clicking keybard Control key and holding mouse down.
    > this brings up a contextual menu.
    >
    > (2) Choose "Open
    > with" and textEdit will be one option ("other" allows her to
    > search for other text editors or word processors). This will now
    > open the html file and she can edit it at will.
    >
    > (3) Simple "Save" now and the changes will show up on simple double click of
    > file in Safari or drag and drop over Safari window (and even probably
    > the pgm Icon instead). When editing is necessary, the important thing is
    > to remember to "Open with" the text editor.
    >
    > That is the best i can do at the moment. I have tested this and
    > it works. It horrifies me, but I am stuck in old easy habits and
    > will doubtless learn easier new and more effortless tricks...
    >

    dorayme,

    OK, that sounds like the right procedure to use for an edit-test-edit
    environment. I'll forward it on.

    Thanks,
    Chris Beall
     
    Chris Beall, Dec 9, 2005
    #8
  9. In article <oglmf.3579$>,
    Chris Beall <> wrote:

    > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > > In article <nvNlf.140$>,
    > > Chris Beall <> wrote:

    > (snip)
    > > I believe, but could be wrong, that Textedit saves as RTF by default. No
    > > idea why. I have no idea what the default for Appleworks is, but I doubt
    > > it's text. Have her make sure she doesn't do a 'Save' but does do a
    > > 'Save As' on her file, and saves as text.


    > That was the problem. All is now well.


    If she is at all serious about publishing HTML from a Mac, I suggest she
    get TextWrangler from Barebones Software at <http://www.barebones.com/>.
    It's free!
    It's big brother, BBEdit is not cheap but has all the bells and whistles
    to make it a great editor for a slew of languages and markup.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
     
    Leonard Blaisdell, Dec 10, 2005
    #9
  10. Chris Beall

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Leonard Blaisdell <>
    >
    > In article <oglmf.3579$>,
    > Chris Beall <> wrote:
    >
    >> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    >>> In article <nvNlf.140$>,
    >>> Chris Beall <> wrote:

    >> (snip)
    >>> I believe, but could be wrong, that Textedit saves as RTF by default. No
    >>> idea why. I have no idea what the default for Appleworks is, but I doubt
    >>> it's text. Have her make sure she doesn't do a 'Save' but does do a
    >>> 'Save As' on her file, and saves as text.

    >
    >> That was the problem. All is now well.

    >
    > If she is at all serious about publishing HTML from a Mac, I suggest she
    > get TextWrangler from Barebones Software at <http://www.barebones.com/>.
    > It's free!
    > It's big brother, BBEdit is not cheap but has all the bells and whistles
    > to make it a great editor for a slew of languages and markup.
    >


    Yes, good advice Leo. I am just moving to X myself, and got this
    TextWrangler and it looks like a good replacement for BBEdit Lite.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2005
    #10
  11. Chris Beall

    Chris Beall Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <oglmf.3579$>,
    > Chris Beall <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <nvNlf.140$>,
    >>> Chris Beall <> wrote:

    >>
    >>(snip)
    >>
    >>>I believe, but could be wrong, that Textedit saves as RTF by default. No
    >>>idea why. I have no idea what the default for Appleworks is, but I doubt
    >>>it's text. Have her make sure she doesn't do a 'Save' but does do a
    >>>'Save As' on her file, and saves as text.

    >
    >
    >>That was the problem. All is now well.

    >
    >
    > If she is at all serious about publishing HTML from a Mac, I suggest she
    > get TextWrangler from Barebones Software at <http://www.barebones.com/>.
    > It's free!
    > It's big brother, BBEdit is not cheap but has all the bells and whistles
    > to make it a great editor for a slew of languages and markup.
    >
    > leo
    >

    Leo,

    I'll pass that on. Thanks,
    Chris Beall
     
    Chris Beall, Dec 14, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DGW

    Waveform Interpreted

    DGW, Oct 20, 2003, in forum: VHDL
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    558
  2. Arpan

    Compiled, Not Interpreted!

    Arpan, Nov 25, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,656
    Karl Seguin
    Nov 25, 2004
  3. Dave Rudolf
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,317
    Mark Thornton
    Jan 14, 2004
  4. Dan Whitaker
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    542
    kchayka
    Dec 1, 2003
  5. Mike
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    289
    Nick Coghlan
    Dec 3, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page