I think you might be surprised at the probable age
range of this group.

Rock Hudson was in a film called Seconds, John Frankenheimer film
in which there is a frightening scene of all the crew at alt.html
towards the end.

Neredbojias

I've had other business ventures & done various projects which have
called on me to use IT skills but I think the reall problem may be
that at 51, I'm maybe biting off more than I can chew.

Well, there's always false teeth.

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
As stated earlier, my error I misread your statement, no need for a bio.

er... not so fast. I need your bio for a book on alt.html

dorayme

verity said:
But if I'm not laying anymore, what happens when they take me into the
shed, is it retirement time?

See Chicken Run and fire up your spirit to escape...

Ed Mullen

in which there is a frightening scene of all the crew at alt.html
towards the end.

Every study I've seen over the last several years indicates that those
above 40 (or so) have more facility with Internet technology than those
under that age. Doesn't surprise me at all.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
Well, there's always false teeth.

Just keep gnawing away at it. It's life. And as soon as you have it
figured out it'll change.

My wife once exclaimed: "Ooo! What's that?!!!" ... pointing to a smudge
on my shorts. Our friend who was there laughed and said: "It's life!!!"
Meaning, I think, "Shit happens." The good thing about aging is,
well, you are (the alternative being not too pleasant to imagine) still
here! The "bad" thing is that you can't just lay back and watch the
world go by. Hell, if you do that, why, in another 20 years or so those
pesky kids might just catch up with you. Ooo! Bummer! ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

verity

in which there is a frightening scene of all the crew at alt.html
towards the end.

Never seen that film, must try & get from Blockbusters :)

verity

Ed said:
Every study I've seen over the last several years indicates that those
above 40 (or so) have more facility with Internet technology than those
under that age. Doesn't surprise me at all.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

I'm surprised abouut the 40+ study but eagerly accept it.
Have skimmed your sites - wonderful to find someone with such an
intelligent sense of humour.
The blank links were stunning, & totally unexpected, how *did* you
manage to get my mac to switch off?
Love the Irish photo's, now it's decided where the children & I go for
the Summer hols.
BTW cows in the road? Try out India :)

verity

Neredbojias said:
Well, there's always false teeth.

I remember an English essay I wrote at 14, title 'what the fashion will
be in 20 years'.
I wrote that young people will carry around a set of false teeth;
I don't think my teachers understood me. :(

verity

Ed said:
Just keep gnawing away at it. It's life. And as soon as you have it
figured out it'll change.

My wife once exclaimed: "Ooo! What's that?!!!" ... pointing to a smudge
on my shorts. Our friend who was there laughed and said: "It's life!!!"
Meaning, I think, "Shit happens." The good thing about aging is,
well, you are (the alternative being not too pleasant to imagine) still
here! The "bad" thing is that you can't just lay back and watch the
world go by. Hell, if you do that, why, in another 20 years or so those
pesky kids might just catch up with you. Ooo! Bummer! ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!
OLL!

Cripes, you paint a scary scenario, my kids are already scratching me
behind the ear when they say they love me. And I thought that was
sweet.
Oh oh, to be patronised by your offspring before you're completely
ga-ga.
My determination just got a Titanium upgrade :)

Neredbojias

Just keep gnawing away at it. It's life. And as soon as you have it
figured out it'll change.

So life is like an Internet Browser... Well, anyway, thanks for sharing
that.
My wife once exclaimed: "Ooo! What's that?!!!" ... pointing to a smudge
on my shorts. Our friend who was there laughed and said: "It's life!!!"
Meaning, I think, "Shit happens." The good thing about aging is,
well, you are (the alternative being not too pleasant to imagine) still
here! The "bad" thing is that you can't just lay back and watch the
world go by. Hell, if you do that, why, in another 20 years or so those
pesky kids might just catch up with you. Ooo! Bummer! ;-)

They don't make kids like they used to. However, you can still tell a lot
about their minds just by looking at their pants.

Neredbojias

I remember an English essay I wrote at 14, title 'what the fashion will
be in 20 years'.
I wrote that young people will carry around a set of false teeth;
I don't think my teachers understood me. :(

I had the opposite problem: my teachers understood me _too_ well. :)

BusyGuy

verity said:
...I've had bad
reports of what people who have paid for a site, have actually
received.

In the mid nineties, if a client asked me how much would a web site
cost, I resisted the urge to offer up the "length of string" simile.
Instead I would say that there are starving students who might quote
$1.95 per page. At the other extreme, there was a company in Auckland,
New Zealand (then called Terabyte) who did a job for $600,000.

But that anecdote became obsolete in the late nineties when I learned
that the Time-Life-Warner site ‹ back then called Pathfinder ‹ was
costing the company $10 million a year to run!

Cost versus satisfaction is a delicate thing in the web world. I
remember is the eighties when Apple introduced the Mac then the
LaserWriter. Suddenly, every man and his pet monkey were "desktop
publishers." You've heard about "ransom note" designs, I'm sure.

Today's analogy is the web. Everyone you speak to is a "web designer."

I occasionally do work in the music industry. I once commissioned a
music video and it cost me $50,000. (And that was 1985 dollars!) And it
was a big disappointment. I vowed never again to trust someone with
that sort of money. Later, I did one pretty much mysel. Cost $700 and
the right people were impressed!

BusyGuy

verity said:
But if I'm not laying anymore, what happens when they take me into the
shed, is it retirement time?

It's rare for a person who is not laying any more, to be taken into a
shed. (Sorry, couldn't resist a pathetic attempt at off-the-cuff
humor.)

verity

BusyGuy said:
It's rare for a person who is not laying any more, to be taken into a
shed. (Sorry, couldn't resist a pathetic attempt at off-the-cuff
humor.)
LOL - now I've got a whole new image in my head - thanks :)
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." ‹ Ghandi

I've never heard that quote, Ghandi was the best.