HTML output of JSP document

johkar

To date I have used JSP documents (xml version of JSP) to output XHTML,
now I have an application that needs to output HTML 4.01. Is this
possible? Currently elements like meta tags written like this <meta />
are outputted as <meta></meta> which is not valid 4.01. Any insight?

Johkar

John C. Bollinger

johkar said:
To date I have used JSP documents (xml version of JSP) to output XHTML,
now I have an application that needs to output HTML 4.01. Is this
possible?

Absolutely. JSP output doesn't even need to be well-formed HTML; it can
be arbitrary text, or even binary (though I don't recommend the last).
Currently elements like meta tags written like this <meta />
are outputted as <meta></meta> which is not valid 4.01. Any insight?

The JSP only outputs what you tell it to do. Without looking at your
code, I couldn't possibly guess what's happening. I do find it
particularly strange that the JSP is transforming output text at all --
that suggests to me that your understanding of JSP semantics may be
incomplete, and your code doesn't specify quite what you think it does.
On the other hand, I haven't worked much with JSP documents, so
there may be limitations that I am not aware of. One thing is certain,
however: you need to show some code to get much help.