HTML overlays

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Robert, Feb 20, 2005.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I found an article about HTML overlays and found it perfect for my
    needs. Unfortunately, it remains a novel approach; hence my internet
    searches return little information about the technique. My execution
    faired marginally well. I humbly ask for input about my
    implementation. Comments will help me to get the navigation approach
    and html overlay working right.

    You may review my implementation at the following link.

    http://www.geocities.com/robert_neville310/aquav1-90.html

    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: My project aims at creating a document template
    and navigation approach for my computing notes. These web pages are
    for personal usage and will reside on an external hard drive. I will
    use these documents to help me remember key computing idiosyncrasies.
    These documents number 100+. The CSS style sheet allows me to have a
    consistent format and allow me to update formatting for all documents
    at once. The HTML overlay will allow me to update an external xml file
    with the menu structure and file locations; instead of using frame or
    iframes. The documents should be primarily viewable on Firefox; and
    not have any platform specific needs. Thus server side processing
    like PHP is not desirable. All processing should be client based.

    http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/20040830/HTMLoverlays.html

    Robert, Feb 20, 2005

  2. Robert

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:35:30 +0000, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Robert wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.geocities.com/robert_neville310/aquav1-90.html

    >You have an error on line 4 of this file:
    >http://www.geocities.com/robert_neville310/menuoverlay.xml
    >
    >First you should replace "<HTMLoverlay/>" with "<HTMLoverlay>" and then
    >add this at the very end of the file: </HTMLoverlay>.

    Toby,

    You're a genius. It worked like you said. I thought that nobody would
    have the faintest idea about HTML overlays. Thanks for your time.

    Robert

    Robert, Feb 22, 2005