HTML & page design

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Murphy, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Murphy

    Murphy Guest

    I am developing a website and would like to minimise the amount of repeated
    code/features. As all pages will follow a standard template it would be
    advantageous to code this page template once then incorporate it as a user
    control or similar.

    The template will basically be a table layout 2 rows and 2 cols:
    top left cell has the logo
    top right cell ha the header
    bottom left cell has the menu
    bottom right cell has the body

    I presently have user controls for all four cells but am having to repeat
    the table on every page which makes updating the main layout a pain as I
    have multiple pages to update this information in. I can create this table
    as a user control then incorporate that into my aspx pages simply enough but
    I need control over the contents of the bottom left and right cells as the
    menu options will vary depending upon the page being displayed as will the
    body of the page (bottom right cell).

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks

    Murphy

    Murphy, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Dare I use the dreaded word: Frames

    I have seen someone do what you want but maintenance became a major problem when the business decided to put stuff in that the original author didn't think of.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwdGFpblo=?=, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Murphy

    ccallen Guest

    Have you tryed PlaceHolders in the bottom left and bottom right cells
    (WebUserContol)? That way you can add the disired controls in Page_Load. Or
    the control can be implemented as a composite control.

    ccallen, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Murphy

    Murphy Guest

    Thanks I've actually solved the problem using a concept called master pages.

    www.wilsondotnet.com

    Murphy, Apr 14, 2004