Html page Doctype and Meta

Toby A Inkster

Jonathan said:
Not to challenge you, more out of curiosity, how does Opera use
keywords?

Hmmm... it doesn't seem to. Perhaps it used to but doesn't any more. What
I *thought* it did was keep the keywords when you bookmarked a page (thus
allowing them to contribute towards bookmark searches).

My general point still stands though -- the fact that search engines do
not support a particular <meta> element does not make including that
metadata entirely useless.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 34 days, 22:50.]

Bottled Water
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Toby A Inkster:
Hmmm... it doesn't seem to. Perhaps it used to but doesn't any more.
What I *thought* it did was keep the keywords when you bookmarked a
page (thus allowing them to contribute towards bookmark searches).

I think Opera uses <meta name="description" ...> in that context.

I suppose you can tweak Opera (and maybe other browsers as well) into
displaying the content of <meta> tags as visible part of document
content. This would be an interesting idea, if such tags generally
contained useful information and not nonsensical babble and worse.