HTML::Parser and <p> behaviour?

Geoff Cox

If you show us your code, we might be able to help fix it.

Make a short and complete program *that we can run* that shows
this phantom "</p> <p>" thing, and we will explain to you
how it got there.

Tad,

Fascinating to have my character analysed by you all as if I no longer
existed!

I am sure you are correct in saying that I have previously failed to
provide useable code for testing. My fault, my apologies.

If you look will see that I have corrected that in another posting in
this thread which has allowed a very helpful answer.

In my first posting here my assumption was that there would be
something so obvious that people better versed in HTML::parser would
have no problem seeing what was wrong.

I do accept that a small bit of code would have been better.

Cheers

Geoff

Fred Canis

David said:
/ Tad McClellan wrote:
/
/ | There is a significant history here that I appear to be ignorant
/ | of.
/
/ If you mean the history of the OP, well I think it's hardly fair to
/ exact everyone who posts or read here to keep track of the posting
/ histroy of every poster. It doesn't mean it couldn't be checked, of
/ course it could, but I do not think it right at all to give someone
/ such a thorough beating for missing one. I hardly think this is been
/ such a heinous offense.

I think tad's point is that if one is going to lambaste people for
their response to a toaster, one might check whether there is some
reason for that response, rather than that one should check the
posting history relevant to any given thread.

I think the overall problem is the initial responses in this thread came
out very harsh, and it should come as no suprise that some if not many
people will see that as needly negativity. Though in this case one
should of checked up on this one.

Fred Canis

Geoff said:
Tad,

Fascinating to have my character analysed by you all as if I no longer
existed!

I am sure you are correct in saying that I have previously failed to
provide useable code for testing. My fault, my apologies.

If you look will see that I have corrected that in another posting in
this thread which has allowed a very helpful answer.

Keep in mind that the order the psots come down a given news feed isn't
guarenteed; in all probability, he may not to have seen it yet.
In my first posting here my assumption was that there would be
something so obvious that people better versed in HTML::parser would
have no problem seeing what was wrong.

In all probability, that might of been so, but heres a question: did you
look at the perdoc for that module? Maybe there answer is there.
I do accept that a small bit of code would have been better.

Just strip it down to the smallest bit of code that demonstrates your
problem.

Geoff Cox

In all probability, that might of been so, but heres a question: did you
look at the perdoc for that module? Maybe there answer is there.

Fred

I did look but sometimes a doc starts just too far ahead to be useful
...!

Cheers

Geoff

Anno Siegel

187 said:
Tom said:
187 wrote:

[ snip unwarrented and non-sequitor drivel ]

FYI I've programming, working networks, IT, and help desks since the
80's. You know nothing of me.

No, we don't, and claims to expertise impress no-one on Usenet.

Gain some credibility, then we might be inclined to consider
your opinions. Otherwise, opinions are like... well you know
what they are like.

Anno

Tad McClellan

187 said:
True. I do admit I was quick to judge and I'm sorry for snapping at you.

The Posting Guidelines caution against that too.

(but it doesn't work if you don't follow the suggestions it outlines. :)

A. Sinan Unur

A. Sinan Unur wrote:

Why is that? This is how I uniquely identify myself. If "187" means
something else that I am not awre of please let me know.

I assumed 'eastcoastttfc.com' indicated that you were US based. I might
have jumped to a conclusion there. FYI, AFAIK, 187 is the police code for
homicide. You might guess what that name might signal to at least
some others.

Sinan.

Tad McClellan

Pinocchio (aka: Fred Canis, aka: 187, aka: krakle...)
^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^ hmmm

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^ hmmm some more

Maybe best to let thread jsut die instead of going on so bitterly.
^^^^
^^^^

It will die if you stop adding persona to your repertoire[1].

Can't you find some other place to do your trolling?

[1] Message-ID: <[email protected]>

A. Sinan Unur

Many thanks for the code below - it woks fine and I will try to get to
grips with how it achieves this. You can no doubt see that I do not
have a very good understanding of HTML::parser !

The fact is, I do not either.

I try to answer questions here because that helps me learn.
Do you have any suggestions re possible HTML::parser tutorial type
places on the net?

I only have access to the exact same documentation you have access to. I
actually apply all the principles I listed elsethread when I attempt to
answer a question.

You might want to check all the examples in
http://search.cpan.org/src/GAAS/HTML-Parser-3.36/eg/

But don't just stare at them. Start with the simplest and try to work out
what they do.

Also, my inclination would have been not to subclass HTML::parser, but
use the version 3 API instead.

Sinan.

1

187

A. Sinan Unur said:
I assumed 'eastcoastttfc.com' indicated that you were US based.

Good guess. Whil I just use that domain for my email, you still lucked
out :)
I might have jumped to a conclusion there. FYI, AFAIK, 187 is the
police code for homicide. You might guess what that name might signal
to at least some others.

well thanks for the info. Still, I've grown quite accustomed to this
name, and when it comes down to it, would not be just as much dangerous
to post if say you had the same name as a known serial killer (a FBI 10
most wanted perhaps) ? Just because one's name might also mean something
else in another context doesn't mean there is any acossiation.

That said, I really do appreciate being made aware of that, and might
consider using my actual name.

David H. Adler

I assumed 'eastcoastttfc.com' indicated that you were US based. I might
have jumped to a conclusion there. FYI, AFAIK, 187 is the police code for
homicide. You might guess what that name might signal to at least
some others.

Just as a data point:

Last I checked, I live in the US, and I don't actually know any police
codes, and I'm pretty sure most people I know don't either. So those
being offended by this might be a rather small group...

dha

A. Sinan Unur

Thanks - will have a look now. By the way I have used your suggestions
which work fine for <h2> and <p> but am findng that if I use the same
text doubled up in the <li> line. Works fine if I leave out the <ul> !

Again, no code.

You are probably forgetting that the only content of ul consists of a
number of li's. Hence, you should not be printing any text for ul.

But, I am going to stop now.

You do need to provide code that other people can run with minimal effort.

Sinan.

A. Sinan Unur

...as indeed the HTML::parser documentation says it will be.

I should have pointed that out. It was not my intention to imply that there
was anything mysterious going on.
You can prevent this with the ->unborken_text method [typo left because
it amused me :)]

:)

Sinan.

A. Sinan Unur

Just as a data point:

Last I checked, I live in the US, and I don't actually know any police
codes, and I'm pretty sure most people I know don't either. So those
being offended by this might be a rather small group...

It is not a matter of being offended. I am not American, and only learned
of the meaning of 187 after seeing the movie by that name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/

So, I presumed I was dealing with a killuh-wannabe high school kid.

Sinan.

1

187

A. Sinan Unur said:
It is not a matter of being offended. I am not American, and only
learned of the meaning of 187 after seeing the movie by that name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/

So, I presumed I was dealing with a killuh-wannabe high school kid.

Sinan.

Wow. Never even heard of that movie before. Must be one of those films
that "falls through the cracks." No offense taken though. The main
reason I gave up using my real name on message forums was I kept being
associated with entities I had nothing to do with, such as a certain
corporation. It literally drove me nuts after the 10,000th time, so I
decided to use a nick name; the number 187 is a blend of the birth years
of my grand parents - 19/17/ and 19/18/, and "187" also sounded better
to me than "178", so I stuck with it. :)

Anno Siegel

Geoff Cox said:
On 14 Oct 2004 20:02:33 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"

No need for any code this time! I see what you mean below and have got
that working now!

You don't get it, do you?

We want *you* to show your code so we don't have to spend time
guessing what your problem may be. Did you really think Sinan
was apologizing for not giving *you* code? How self-centered
can you get?

Anno