    support told me that some file ending in .php had a higher priority. I
    thought index.html was the first file that a browser would find if none was
    specified.

    don, May 5, 2011

  2. don

    MG Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    news:iptmtp$2j3$...
    > Please explain the priorities of HTML files as it relates to which file a
    > server is going to display when you browse to a domain name. I had
    > uploaded a index.html file to a website but was never able to see it until
    > tech support told me that some file ending in .php had a higher priority.
    > I thought index.html was the first file that a browser would find if none
    > was specified.

    Ask in a group such as alt.apache.configuration

    (These priorities can be set in .htaccess)

    MG

    MG, May 5, 2011

  3. If you have a hosting account where you can add/edit .htaccess you can set
    your directory indexes there:

    DirectoryIndex index.html index.cgi index.php

    Ths means when the directory loads it first looks for an index file with
    the .html extension. If it doesn't find it, then it looks for a file named
    index.cgi -- if it doesn't find it, it looks for a file named index.php.

    Steve MacLellan, May 5, 2011
  4. don

    Lewis Guest

    In message <iptmtp$2j3$>
    don <> wrote:
    > Please explain the priorities of HTML files as it relates to which file a
    > server is going to display when you browse to a domain name. I had uploaded
    > a index.html file to a website but was never able to see it until tech
    > support told me that some file ending in .php had a higher priority. I
    > thought index.html was the first file that a browser would find if none was
    > specified.

    This is a server configuration setting. You can prioritize any file you
    want.

    --
    "Oh my god. What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing!?"
    (pause) "Oh right, that would be me, back to work."

    Lewis, May 6, 2011
  5. don

    don Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message >>This is
    a server configuration setting. You can prioritize any file you
    >>want.

    > I'm going out on a limb and guessing the OP uses a shared host / colo
    > of some sort, and doesn't have any control. So more precise, whoever
    > manages his server can prioritize any file they want :)
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    I an using a service by GoDaddy.com and I do not see that " httpd.conf
    file " so maybe your right...... tech support just told me they would
    remove this free web designing application and then I would be able to use
    my index.html file as the default.

    Now that I know better, I should have had the guy just edit the file instead
    of removing the web application software.

    Thanks for your help

    don, May 6, 2011
  6. don

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    > Please explain the priorities of HTML files as it relates to which file a
    > server is going to display when you browse to a domain name. I had
    > uploaded a index.html file to a website but was never able to see it until
    > tech support told me that some file ending in .php had a higher priority.
    > I thought index.html was the first file that a browser would find if none
    > was specified.

    Priorities don't matter much. So index.php *might* have a higher priority
    than index.html but the priority only matters if you have both index.php and
    index.html. If you only have one then it should get displayed.

    That you didn't see index.html indicates to me not that its "priority" was
    wrong but that it wasn't one of the default documents that you web server
    displays. I'd suggest trying index.htm, default.htm or default.html.

    Personally I would not use index.php unless you are using PHP. My
    understanding is that index.php would be processed by PHP before being
    rendered, so you are adding some overhead to the server that you don't
    require for a plain HTML file.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, May 10, 2011
  7. don

    William Gill Guest

    On 5/6/2011 12:43 AM, don wrote:

    > I an using a service by GoDaddy.com and I do not see that " httpd.conf
    > file " so maybe your right...... tech support just told me they would
    > remove this free web designing application and then I would be able to use
    > my index.html file as the default.
    >
    > Now that I know better, I should have had the guy just edit the file instead
    > of removing the web application software.

    Don't knee jerk to what you have been told or have observed.

    As previously mentioned, this is a server issue, and the httpd.conf
    won't be in your web-space since it controls the server used by everyone
    on your host. Someone correctly mentioned this belongs in a server
    config news group, and assumed Apache (a good bet, since Apache is the
    dominant server used), but to be sure (since they have already verified
    php is operational) copy the line of html below then save and upload it
    as phpinfo.php when you access it via a
    browser(http://www.example.com/phpinfo.php) it should give you (more
    than) enough info to see exactly what httpd server they are using. From
    there study that particular server(or ask in the appropriate group), and
    study the .htaccess file (particularly for the DirectoryIndex command)
    if the server actually is Apache.

    <?php phpinfo(); ?>

    William Gill, May 14, 2011