html problem(style,unicode, and non microsoft supported language)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tt, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. tt

    tt Guest

    Please explain thisfor me.

    Ok I copied this from a site.
    css style with following code:
    ".style27 {font-size: small; font-family: "Ethiopian Jiret";}"
    The body of the html has the following code that gets the non microsoft font
    and displays it:
    class="menu">የገቢ
    አስተዳደር</a></td>

    The result is that it gets the correct font even though the letters &#4768
    is not the unicode # for that specific letter. I am a beginner and really
    need to understand how this works.
    Can someone explain it to me please?

    Thanks

    tt, Mar 3, 2006

  2. tt

    Toby Inkster Guest

    tt wrote:

    > The result is that it gets the correct font even though the letters &#4768
    > is not the unicode # for that specific letter.

    Not exactly sure what you're trying to ask. Do you mean, that given the
    following example:

    (some western characters)
    (some eastern characters)
    (some western characters)

    the browser will drop out of the western font, into an appropriate font
    for the eastern characters? If so, yes, this is the expected behaviour,
    and most browsers are smart enough to do that.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 3, 2006

  3. "tt" <> wrote:

    > Please explain thisfor me.

    Try explaining your problem first, in a simple way and illustrated with
    a URL. What are you really trying to accomplish.

    > Ok I copied this from a site.

    Stop doing so. If you don't understand what it is, how do you expect us
    to help without seeing it in a) in the original context, b) in your
    context? Copying CSS code is generally foolish. Adopting ideas is fine,
    as long as you have _understood_ them.

    > ".style27 {font-size: small; font-family: "Ethiopian Jiret";}"

    The selector alone sends some bogosity signals. Class names are
    supposed to be descriptive, not enumerative. What is Ethiopian Jiret
    font and why would you use it? It sounds like an attempt to extend
    character repertoire with fontistic tricks. In any case, surely more
    than 99 % of Internet users' computers don't contain such a font.

    > The body of the html has the following code that gets the non
    > microsoft font and displays it:
    > class="menu">የገቢ
    > አስተዳደር</a></td>
    >
    > The result is that it gets the correct font even though the letters
    > &#4768 is not the unicode # for that specific letter.

    What specific letter, which correct font?

    > I am a
    > beginner and really need to understand how this works.

    Please define "this".

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 5, 2006
  4. On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > "tt" <> wrote:

    [snip...]

    > What is Ethiopian Jiret font and why would you use it? It sounds
    > like an attempt to extend character repertoire with fontistic
    > tricks.

    That was my first reaction too, but, as you read on, it should've
    become clearer that it was not so...

    > In any case, surely more than 99 % of Internet users' computers
    > don't contain such a font.

    Agreed. However, if they can read Ethiopic, they may already have an
    Ethiopic-capable font, no?

    > > The body of the html has the following code that gets the non
    > > microsoft font and displays it:
    > > class="menu">የገቢ
    > > አስተዳደር</a></td>

    You know as well as I do that those Unicode points are Ethiopic, so
    you're being a bit harsh on the poster. Even if I agree with you that
    the initial posting was rather inept.

    > > The result is that it gets the correct font even though the
    > > letters &#4768 is not the unicode # for that specific letter.

    What?

    U+12A0 አ ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE GLOTTAL A

    > What specific letter, which correct font?

    Indeed.

    But let's address the general topic, irrespective of the somewhat
    incoherent detailed questions. On the one hand:

    http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html#ethiopic

    may be helpful. On the other hand, either the reader *does* have a
    font which supports Ethiopic (which might or might not be the one
    mentioned) - in which case supplying them with some CSS that attempts
    to select a font that they haven't got is counter-productive (I think
    the only font I've got that supports Ethiopic is Code2000). Or, they
    haven't got *any* font which supports Ethiopic - in which case merely
    supplying them with some CSS that attempts to select one is useless.

    Either way, the *reader* needs a font which supports Ethiopic (i.e
    they have to install one if they haven't yet got one - at least,
    that's the way the WWW usually works).

    Indeed the first font on Alan Wood's list of fonts supporting Ethiopic
    was "Ethiopia Jiret"(sic). Its link is semi-broken, but there's
    enough clue on the status-404 response page to find
    http://www.senamirmir.com/projects/typography/ethiopic_fonts.html

    However, there *are* several other Ethiopic-capable fonts listed on
    Alan Wood's page.

    The best thing that the *author* can do, in my experience of
    relatively unusual scripts, is to leave the choice of font to the
    browser.

    cheers

    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 5, 2006