HTML reflecting text question - newbie HOWTO?

Anon

Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
cannot find the answer.

I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean mirroring
each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a
v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting).
I want this for all characters, not just the selected few above (but I
couldn't put in G is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't have
a reflected G).

I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must create
a small gif or something. Is this the approach?

Thank you
Peter

Barbara de Zoete

Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
cannot find the answer.

I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
this in HTML?

HTML is a Hyper Text Markup Language. The markup tells what an element is,
rather then describing the way to display the element.
For influence on display there is CSS, cascading style sheets, but I can't come
up with a style that does what you want. Maybe others can.

In short: no, you can't go about using a markup language that has its purpose in
giving meaning to elements, for styling the elements display. At least, you
shouldn't, even if you find a way to do this.

Jim Royal

Anon <[email protected]> said:
I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
this in HTML?

In order to do this, you'd need a font that contained the mirror images
of the letters, and have that font installed on every computer that
views your web site.

Fat Sam

Anon said:
Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But
I cannot find the answer.

I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can
I do this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You
can't". And by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the
sentence, I mean mirroring each character so that, for example
crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a v is transposed to a v, and
an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting). I want this for all
characters, not just the selected few above (but I couldn't put in G
is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't have a
reflected G).

I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must
create a small gif or something. Is this the approach?

Thank you
Peter

It can't be done with HTML, and I can't think of a way to do it with ASP or
Javascript either.....

However, one idea does spring to mind.....

Render an image file for each letter in the alphabet and number set.....So
for example, you would have
A.gif
B.gif
C.gif
1.gif
2.gif,
3.gif etc etc etc

Then render a corresponding reverse image for each of these characters so
you'd have
revA.gif
revB.gif
revC.gif etc etc....

Now use these images to spell out your sentence, and mirrored version.....

I know it's not a perfect solution, but it will give you something close to
the results you want......

Mitja

I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't".
You can't.
I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must
create a small gif or something. Is this the approach?
Weeeell.... it is _an_ approach. It's an extraordinary problem; do tell us
more about its background and in what extent these mirrored letters would
be used.
The three things I can think of off hand have in fact already been
proposed:
1) special fonts
2) images of mirrored letters
3) variation of (2): images of mirrored sentences

No. 1 is only appropriate for controlled environments (e.g. intranet),
while the decision between 2 and 3 depends on how much of this text you'll
be displaying and how repetetive/static/dynamic it has to be.

Oh, and there is
4) Flash
Not too reliable, but probably more elegant than gifs.

Richard

Anon said:
Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
cannot find the answer.

I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean mirroring
each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a
v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting).
I want this for all characters, not just the selected few above (but I
couldn't put in G is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't have
a reflected G).

I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must create
a small gif or something. Is this the approach?

Thank you
Peter

As they do with the word "Ambulance" shown in mirrored letters so that when
you look in your mirror, you see it correctly?
Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii and how to display
things.
Not to manipulate them.

For that, you would need a javascript code that would manipulate the
visitor's font so the proper mirror is reflected.
Which means, you would have to literally rewrite the coding used for each
character of THAT font.
It's not totally impossible to do, but for a person with no experience in
scripting, it may only take you a few years to accomplish.

Barbara de Zoete

Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii and how to display
things.

? It is to structurely and semantically mark elements up, and has nothing to do
with how to display 'things'.
It's not totally impossible to do, but for a person with no experience in
scripting, it may only take you a few years to accomplish.

Which will always be way faster then you grasping any concept that is of value
to this newsgroup and any other newsgroup you, god forbid, paticipate in.
Dickhead.

Sid Ismail

:
: I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
: this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
: by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean mirroring
: each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a
: v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting).

Take a screenshot of what you want to "reverse", mirror it in PSP or Irfan
(3 clicks), then display the image. HTML/CSS cannot do it.

Sid

Richard

Barbara de Zoete said:
Which will always be way faster then you grasping any concept that is of value
to this newsgroup and any other newsgroup you, god forbid, paticipate in.
Dickhead.

And may your feet always trod in the path of golden camel dung, your
higness.

Oli Filth

Anon said:
Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
cannot find the answer.

I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean mirroring
each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a
v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting).
I want this for all characters, not just the selected few above (but I
couldn't put in G is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't have
a reflected G).

I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must create
a small gif or something. Is this the approach?

Thank you
Peter

Is the text to be reversed going to be different every time, or will it
always be the same?

If it's going to be different each time, and you have PHP running on
your server, you can use the GD graphics manipulation library to create
an image using a specified text-string, and then flip the entire image.
I'm sure there are equivalent functions in ASP and other server-side
languages.

Richard

Hywel Jenkins said:
If HTML is "ASCII", how can it display more than 127 characters?

Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.
¿
Represented in html as &#191.
ú &#250
€ &#128

Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

Anon

It's an extraordinary problem; do tell us more about its background and
in what extent
these mirrored letters would be used.

Nothing fancy, just a home website with a few headings. I am wanting,
somehow, to display the heading in a fancy font and then underneath it
display the reflected text with a shimmer like a reflection in a pond.

Thanks

Oli Filth

Richard said:
Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.

ASCII is a 7-bit character set => 127 characters (+ null).
¿
Represented in html as &#191.
ú &#250
€ &#128

Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

Typically ISO-8859-1 encoding.

Oli Filth

Anon said:
Nothing fancy, just a home website with a few headings. I am wanting,
somehow, to display the heading in a fancy font and then underneath it
display the reflected text with a shimmer like a reflection in a pond.

In that case, it's probably best if you produce all of your headings as
images, and apply all the funky effects with Photoshop or whatever.

Maybe there's a way of doing it with Javascript, but I know which I'd
prefer.

Mitja

Nothing fancy, just a home website with a few headings. I am wanting,
somehow, to display the heading in a fancy font and then underneath it
display the reflected text with a shimmer like a reflection in a pond.

Then AFAIC a single image edited in Photoshop or whatever is without doubt
the way to go. Even if you had a huge site with thousands of headings, I'd
still recommend pre-edited images, only you'd probably want to do it with
scripts instead of by hand in that case.

Java eye candy, as Duende suggested, is an option too, but I consider it
an annoyance, and one that was popular 5 and more years ago at that.
Besides, it's less accessible than plain images (important for search
engines). I'd say most people in the NG share this opinion, though it's
nothing definite and down to you in the end.

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.

Nope. There are 128; of which 95 (positions 32 to 126) are printable,
the rest being control characters.

Most web pages are written with character encodings that have 256 or
more characters, and some of the commonest of these (such as
ISO-8859-1) share the first 128 with ASCII.
¿
Represented in html as &#191.
ú &#250

All the numeric references in HTML refer to Unicode. But those
characters can also be included in an HTML document correctly so long
as the character encoding in use includes them.
€ &#128

Totally wrong. &#128 is undefined. It occupies position 128 in some
Windows character sets and some browsers may wrongly treat &#128 as
reference to it but you can not rely on that.

The Euro sign is €
Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

The characters <tag> are indeed all found in ASCII. All the characters
used in HTML markup are found in ASCII, but the content can be any
character encoding you like.

Steve

Hywel Jenkins

Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.

Are there? Perhaps you should tell the ANSI. I'm amazed that you came
back with that retort without even checking, you tit.

Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

It's text, RtS, text, plain and simple. Plain and simple - just like
you. Luckily for you, your example text can be composed of ASCII
characters.