HTML reflecting text question - newbie HOWTO?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Anon, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
    cannot find the answer.

    I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
    by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean mirroring
    each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a
    v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting).
    I want this for all characters, not just the selected few above (but I
    couldn't put in G is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't have
    a reflected G).

    I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must create
    a small gif or something. Is this the approach?

    Thank you
    Peter

    Anon, Jan 15, 2005

  2. On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:58:38 -0000, Anon <> wrote:

    > Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
    > cannot find the answer.
    >
    > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    > this in HTML?

    HTML is a Hyper Text Markup Language. The markup tells what an element is,
    rather then describing the way to display the element.
    For influence on display there is CSS, cascading style sheets, but I can't come
    up with a style that does what you want. Maybe others can.

    In short: no, you can't go about using a markup language that has its purpose in
    giving meaning to elements, for styling the elements display. At least, you
    shouldn't, even if you find a way to do this.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Anon

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <>, Anon <>
    wrote:

    > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    > this in HTML?

    In order to do this, you'd need a font that contained the mirror images
    of the letters, and have that font installed on every computer that
    views your web site.

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"

    Jim Royal, Jan 15, 2005
  4. Anon

    Fat Sam Guest

    Anon wrote:
    > Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But
    > I cannot find the answer.
    >
    > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can
    > I do this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You
    > can't". And by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the
    > sentence, I mean mirroring each character so that, for example
    > crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a v is transposed to a v, and
    > an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting). I want this for all
    > characters, not just the selected few above (but I couldn't put in G
    > is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't have a
    > reflected G).
    >
    > I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must
    > create a small gif or something. Is this the approach?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Peter

    It can't be done with HTML, and I can't think of a way to do it with ASP or
    Javascript either.....

    However, one idea does spring to mind.....

    Render an image file for each letter in the alphabet and number set.....So
    for example, you would have
    A.gif
    B.gif
    C.gif
    1.gif
    2.gif,
    3.gif etc etc etc

    Then render a corresponding reverse image for each of these characters so
    you'd have
    revA.gif
    revB.gif
    revC.gif etc etc....

    Now use these images to spell out your sentence, and mirrored version.....

    I know it's not a perfect solution, but it will give you something close to
    the results you want......

    Fat Sam, Jan 15, 2005
  5. Anon

    Mitja Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:58:38 -0000, Anon <> wrote:

    > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    > this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't".

    You can't.

    > I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must
    > create a small gif or something. Is this the approach?

    Weeeell.... it is _an_ approach. It's an extraordinary problem; do tell us
    more about its background and in what extent these mirrored letters would
    be used.
    The three things I can think of off hand have in fact already been
    proposed:
    1) special fonts
    2) images of mirrored letters
    3) variation of (2): images of mirrored sentences

    No. 1 is only appropriate for controlled environments (e.g. intranet),
    while the decision between 2 and 3 depends on how much of this text you'll
    be displaying and how repetetive/static/dynamic it has to be.

    Oh, and there is
    4) Flash
    Not too reliable, but probably more elegant than gifs.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Jan 15, 2005
  6. Anon

    Richard Guest

    "Anon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
    > cannot find the answer.
    >
    > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    > this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
    > by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean

    mirroring
    > each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and

    > v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by

    reflecting).
    > I want this for all characters, not just the selected few above (but I
    > couldn't put in G is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't

    have
    > a reflected G).
    >
    > I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must

    create
    > a small gif or something. Is this the approach?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Peter

    As they do with the word "Ambulance" shown in mirrored letters so that when
    you look in your mirror, you see it correctly?
    Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii and how to display
    things.
    Not to manipulate them.

    For that, you would need a javascript code that would manipulate the
    visitor's font so the proper mirror is reflected.
    Which means, you would have to literally rewrite the coding used for each
    character of THAT font.
    It's not totally impossible to do, but for a person with no experience in
    scripting, it may only take you a few years to accomplish.

    Richard, Jan 15, 2005
  7. On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:22:54 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    > "Anon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    >> this in HTML?

    > Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii and how to display
    > things.

    ? It is to structurely and semantically mark elements up, and has nothing to do
    with how to display 'things'.

    > It's not totally impossible to do, but for a person with no experience in
    > scripting, it may only take you a few years to accomplish.

    Which will always be way faster then you grasping any concept that is of value
    to this newsgroup and any other newsgroup you, god forbid, paticipate in.
    Dickhead.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 15, 2005
  8. In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...

    > "Anon" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
    > > cannot find the answer.
    > >
    > > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one.

    > Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii

    If HTML is "ASCII", how can it display more than 127 characters?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 15, 2005
  9. Anon

    Sid Ismail Guest

    :
    : I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    : this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
    : by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean mirroring
    : each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a
    : v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting).

    Take a screenshot of what you want to "reverse", mirror it in PSP or Irfan
    (3 clicks), then display the image. HTML/CSS cannot do it.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jan 15, 2005
  10. Anon

    Richard Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message

    > Which will always be way faster then you grasping any concept that is of

    value
    > to this newsgroup and any other newsgroup you, god forbid, paticipate in.
    > Dickhead.

    And may your feet always trod in the path of golden camel dung, your
    higness.

    Richard, Jan 15, 2005
  11. Anon

    Oli Filth Guest

    Anon wrote:
    > Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
    > cannot find the answer.
    >
    > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
    > this in HTML? I don't think I can but want someone to say "You can't". And
    > by mirror image, I don't just mean reversing the sentence, I mean mirroring
    > each character so that, for example crudely, a b is transposed to a d, and a
    > v is transposed to a v, and an I is transposed to an I etc (by reflecting).
    > I want this for all characters, not just the selected few above (but I
    > couldn't put in G is reflected to something because my keyboard doesn't have
    > a reflected G).
    >
    > I am thinking for each letter of the alphabet, and numbers etc I must create
    > a small gif or something. Is this the approach?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Peter

    Is the text to be reversed going to be different every time, or will it
    always be the same?

    If it's going to be different each time, and you have PHP running on
    your server, you can use the GD graphics manipulation library to create
    an image using a specified text-string, and then flip the entire image.
    I'm sure there are equivalent functions in ASP and other server-side
    languages.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 15, 2005
  12. Anon

    Richard Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > >
    > > "Anon" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But

    > > > cannot find the answer.
    > > >
    > > > I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one.

    > > Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii

    > If HTML is "ASCII", how can it display more than 127 characters?

    Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.
    ¿
    Represented in html as &#191.
    ú &#250
    € &#128

    Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

    Richard, Jan 15, 2005
  13. Anon

    Anon Guest

    > It's an extraordinary problem; do tell us more about its background and
    > in what extent
    > these mirrored letters would be used.

    Nothing fancy, just a home website with a few headings. I am wanting,
    somehow, to display the heading in a fancy font and then underneath it
    display the reflected text with a shimmer like a reflection in a pond.

    Thanks

    Anon, Jan 15, 2005
  14. Anon

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    >>
    >>>html is purely ascii

    >>If HTML is "ASCII", how can it display more than 127 characters?
    >>

    > Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.

    ASCII is a 7-bit character set => 127 characters (+ null).

    > ¿
    > Represented in html as &#191.
    > ú &#250
    > € &#128
    >
    > Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

    Typically ISO-8859-1 encoding.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 15, 2005
  15. Anon

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Anon scribbled in the mud:

    > Nothing fancy, just a home website with a few headings. I am wanting,
    > somehow, to display the heading in a fancy font and then underneath it
    > display the reflected text with a shimmer like a reflection in a pond.

    Try this
    http://usenet.wipkip.biz/lake/

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

    Duende, Jan 15, 2005
  16. Anon

    Oli Filth Guest

    Anon wrote:
    >>It's an extraordinary problem; do tell us more about its background and
    >>in what extent
    >>these mirrored letters would be used.

    > Nothing fancy, just a home website with a few headings. I am wanting,
    > somehow, to display the heading in a fancy font and then underneath it
    > display the reflected text with a shimmer like a reflection in a pond.

    In that case, it's probably best if you produce all of your headings as
    images, and apply all the funky effects with Photoshop or whatever.

    Maybe there's a way of doing it with Javascript, but I know which I'd
    prefer.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 15, 2005
  17. Anon

    Mitja Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:12:32 -0000, Anon <> wrote:

    > Nothing fancy, just a home website with a few headings. I am wanting,
    > somehow, to display the heading in a fancy font and then underneath it
    > display the reflected text with a shimmer like a reflection in a pond.

    Then AFAIC a single image edited in Photoshop or whatever is without doubt
    the way to go. Even if you had a huge site with thousands of headings, I'd
    still recommend pre-edited images, only you'd probably want to do it with
    scripts instead of by hand in that case.

    Java eye candy, as Duende suggested, is an option too, but I consider it
    an annoyance, and one that was popular 5 and more years ago at that.
    Besides, it's less accessible than plain images (important for search
    engines). I'd say most people in the NG share this opinion, though it's
    nothing definite and down to you in the end.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Jan 15, 2005
  18. Anon

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >> > Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii

    >> If HTML is "ASCII", how can it display more than 127 characters?

    >Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.

    Nope. There are 128; of which 95 (positions 32 to 126) are printable,
    the rest being control characters.

    Most web pages are written with character encodings that have 256 or
    more characters, and some of the commonest of these (such as
    ISO-8859-1) share the first 128 with ASCII.

    >¿
    >Represented in html as &#191.
    >ú &#250

    All the numeric references in HTML refer to Unicode. But those
    characters can also be included in an HTML document correctly so long
    as the character encoding in use includes them.

    >€ &#128

    Totally wrong. &#128 is undefined. It occupies position 128 in some
    Windows character sets and some browsers may wrongly treat &#128 as
    reference to it but you can not rely on that.

    The Euro sign is €

    >Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

    The characters <tag> are indeed all found in ASCII. All the characters
    used in HTML markup are found in ASCII, but the content can be any
    character encoding you like.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 15, 2005
  19. In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > > >
    > > > "Anon" <> wrote in message

    > > > Not possible in pure html, as html is purely ascii

    > > If HTML is "ASCII", how can it display more than 127 characters?
    > >

    > Because there are 255 ascii characters, dipshit.

    Are there? Perhaps you should tell the ANSI. I'm amazed that you came
    back with that retort without even checking, you tit.

    > Then what is <tag> if not ascii?

    It's text, RtS, text, plain and simple. Plain and simple - just like
    you. Luckily for you, your example text can be composed of ASCII
    characters.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.